Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 300 2007: Check Vsc And Warning Lights

mojo7676

Hi

fairly new to the forum and Lexus. It's my first lexus, actually: 2007 gs 300 se-l. Anyway, love the car but had this problem twice, now: check vsc as well as a series of lights: engine management, traction control and brakes. the first time, i took it to a mech who stuck his machine on the car, deleted the faults (but found nothing stored). two weeks later, the same thing again. Any suggestions/ideas hugely appreciated. Done a google search and found little of use.

thanks.

mojo

Sorry to hear of your problem and hopefully it is nothing too serious.

How long have you had the car?

Did you buy private or dealer?

When in 2007 was it registered?

Known problem....

You will need:

1 A new ECU

2 2x Oxygen Sensors

3 An oil and filter change

Total cost (if not under warranty - circa £3,000)!!!! - Yes you did read that right!

If you bought the car from a Lexus dealer it should be covered under warranty - if not, you are in for a very expensive bill I'm afraid. Lexus know about this problem (in fact they have even extended the cover to 5 years for this item) but they refuse to do a recall for it.

Hi,

This happened to my car, Check VSC etc. The above poster is spot on. I had to change ECU, 2 x O2 sensors and an oil and filter. The cost was around £3k. This was settled between Lexus GB and the supplying dealer, thank god!

Known problem....

You will need:

1 A new ECU

2 2x Oxygen Sensors

3 An oil and filter change

Total cost (if not under warranty - circa £3,000)!!!! - Yes you did read that right!

If you bought the car from a Lexus dealer it should be covered under warranty - if not, you are in for a very expensive bill I'm afraid. Lexus know about this problem (in fact they have even extended the cover to 5 years for this item) but they refuse to do a recall for it.

If Lexus have extended the cover for this problem to 5 years then surely a 2007 car with this fault should be covered. If it is late 2007 then it should be covered anyway, plus if purchased from any dealer (Lexus or otherwise)in last 6 months it would also be covered (Sale Of Goods Act)

Can the standard ODBII readers reset the codes? Just an idea but if the error comes up every couple of weeks, can it not just be reset and then carry on as usual? a couple of hundred if that on a reader to reset every couple of weeks rather than a few grand (unless it is covered under the warranty of course).

Can the standard ODBII readers reset the codes? Just an idea but if the error comes up every couple of weeks, can it not just be reset and then carry on as usual? a couple of hundred if that on a reader to reset every couple of weeks rather than a few grand (unless it is covered under the warranty of course).

The error codes can be reset but they do come back. Doing this just disguises the problem and doesn't give confidence in owning the car knowing there is a problem which needs to be fixed.

Where has the OP gone, have we frightened him off?

He's gone into cardiac arrest!!

As an aside the very fact that Lexus has extended the warranty for this problem to 5 years means they know damn well it's a problem but won't recall and fix it because it's going to cost too much money. However, strange that they have recalled the RX for glass break sensor replacement (which means the alarm goes off occasionally) and I assume this fix is a couple of cheap ultrasonic units which cost pennies. An ECU on the other hand is considerably more !!!!! (Although it shouldn't be as it's nothing more than a few chips (logic gates),an on board cpu and bespoke ROM embedded software .......... I rest my case

The Ed

The error codes can be reset but they do come back. Doing this just disguises the problem and doesn't give confidence in owning the car knowing there is a problem which needs to be fixed.

Yeah, agreed a fix is better. What are the actual concequences of the error though? Is there really a problem, or just spurious error codes that are not causing any damage. My point being that if you don't have 3 grand to chuck at the car, it is an alternative option. or not?

Yeah, agreed a fix is better. What are the actual concequences of the error though? Is there really a problem, or just spurious error codes that are not causing any damage. My point being that if you don't have 3 grand to chuck at the car, it is an alternative option. or not?

It's a software fault in the ECU (which thinks the mixture is too rich I believe) - They have now changed both O2 sensors to a differnet type and updated the software. I think the outcome of ignoring the fault codes is naff all UNLESS the codes put you in 'limp home mode' of course...

The Ed

It's a software fault in the ECU (which thinks the mixture is too rich I believe) - They have now changed both O2 sensors to a differnet type and updated the software. I think the outcome of ignoring the fault codes is naff all UNLESS the codes put you in 'limp home mode' of course...

The Ed

Plus also the car will fail it's MOT if a fault light like Check VSC is flashing. Needs to be fixed but Lexus really should be fixing these faults for free.

Are you there OP?

The Ed

Plus also the car will fail it's MOT if a fault light like Check VSC is flashing. Needs to be fixed but Lexus really should be fixing these faults for free.

Are you there OP?

Yeah I agree that they should fix a know issue like this. Even if they don't issue a recall, if it does show itself, they should fix. I assume by the fact that a recall hasn't come about that it doesn't effect ALL vehicles, or does it?

On my origian question on this and restting codes, I'm just saying..... if you do have to pay yourself, and don't have 3k to spend, and there is actually no harm coming to the car, and it only happens intermittantly, then just resetting the codes is a cheap option. If you can reset and be clear for a couple of weeks, you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to crop up when you have put it in for an MOT. If you can afford the 3k, or Lexus will fix it, then I would fix it properly also.

• 1 month later...

erm, hello - again

so sorry for not replying to this post in a more timely manner. i didn't go into cardiac arrest or anything but merely had problems with a. my pc, and b. the car!. also, i did check back on the post a few times but nothing much seemed to be happening. anyway, be all that as it may.... an update, i suppose, might be useful.

so, had the computer obd reset thing done twice; the second time i got it done i also noticed a sidelight bulb was out so got that changed. the mech mentioned that sometimes even daft stuff like blown bulbs send these electronics haywire. a friend did some deeper searching online and also found one or two instances of blown bulbs setting off the xmas lights.

so now, about 3 months and not that many miles later (about 1200), the fault has not returned. i'm hoping it was the blown bulb because there's no damned way i'd be forking out 3k; and i imagine the dealers would play hardball if i were to try and pursue it under warranty (now gone over 3 years but the 5 year thing i'm sure they'd still dispute because that is what every dealer i;ve ever dealt with has done).

anyway, got me a new fault. only it's not really a fault - just a heavy and stiff door. i can live with it but it can become a little irksome at times.

hope the update is useful

thanks again for all the replies

mojo

The Ed

Are you there OP?

Yeah I agree that they should fix a know issue like this. Even if they don't issue a recall, if it does show itself, they should fix. I assume by the fact that a recall hasn't come about that it doesn't effect ALL vehicles, or does it?

On my origian question on this and restting codes, I'm just saying..... if you do have to pay yourself, and don't have 3k to spend, and there is actually no harm coming to the car, and it only happens intermittantly, then just resetting the codes is a cheap option. If you can reset and be clear for a couple of weeks, you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to crop up when you have put it in for an MOT. If you can afford the 3k, or Lexus will fix it, then I would fix it properly also.

• 6 months later...

erm, hello - again

so sorry for not replying to this post in a more timely manner. i didn't go into cardiac arrest or anything but merely had problems with a. my pc, and b. the car!. also, i did check back on the post a few times but nothing much seemed to be happening. anyway, be all that as it may.... an update, i suppose, might be useful.

so, had the computer obd reset thing done twice; the second time i got it done i also noticed a sidelight bulb was out so got that changed. the mech mentioned that sometimes even daft stuff like blown bulbs send these electronics haywire. a friend did some deeper searching online and also found one or two instances of blown bulbs setting off the xmas lights.

so now, about 3 months and not that many miles later (about 1200), the fault has not returned. i'm hoping it was the blown bulb because there's no damned way i'd be forking out 3k; and i imagine the dealers would play hardball if i were to try and pursue it under warranty (now gone over 3 years but the 5 year thing i'm sure they'd still dispute because that is what every dealer i;ve ever dealt with has done).

anyway, got me a new fault. only it's not really a fault - just a heavy and stiff door. i can live with it but it can become a little irksome at times.

hope the update is useful

thanks again for all the replies

mojo

The Ed

Are you there OP?

HI All... Has Lexus confirmed to you that the warrenty is extended to five years for this problem.

• 1 month later...

Just like to add that my April 2006 registered GS300 SE had the same issue with the warning lights a week ago, but Lexus Leeds did the full fix at no cost, once I mentioned the LOC Forums thread, and gave me an IS250 Sport for the weekend while they did it.

• 1 year later...

Timely update to this thread.....

Long story short.......er......ish.....

Just acquired '05 GS300 two weeks ago — loving it! — and received my first warning (TPMS) on the way home after collection.

Stopped in services, spend a quid (a bloody quid!) on some compressed air, and inflated the tyres to the sort of level they should've been after 4-5 hours driving.

Two days ago, was greeted with Check VSC warning — great! — took to the local dealership and had a tech plug the digibox in.

Great news, code was somewhat remembered as being of the £2500 variety.......Oh borrocks!

Reset, along with TPMS one, and no sooner had I stopped and restarted the engine after a short chat with Service about extended warranty option, up pops the (not-so-holy) trinity of beacons of wallet rapage.

Deciding to refill with fuel nearby (20 mile range indicated), I duly filled it to the neck (and a bit more for the forecourt ground to sip on!), and set off.

Mechanic chap, and a very good one at that by all accounts, is in a unit across the way from where I was visiting.

After learning his diagnoser does speak Lexus, I asked him if he'd take a quick looksee.......just like a visit to the doctor's, it's worth seeking a second opinion if you're not convinced/don't want to hear the first one.

So, looksee looked at, codes reset, he starts to impart knowledge and understanding unto me, especially as to why he didn't think the ECU was likely to be part of the problem.

If it were, he'd have expected to see more codes and not be able to reset them.

Diagnosis? One post-CAT O2 sensor.

Remedy? Buy one NGK O2 sensor.

Problem? NGK don't yet do O2 sensors (well, they do in the US, but not here in the UK apparently!)

Solution? Import NGK sensor......er....no. The technical girl I spoke with at NGK said the US has different emission levels, so that won't work with the UK levels.

Ermmm.......okay, although I think we'll agree to disagree on that one.

What now? Buy an ADL Blueprint one for £120 or an official OEM one for £180+ the VAT!

Next idea, trawl eBay looking for a bargain (hopefully), and found one doing OE for £125 delivered. Meehh....still twice as expensive as the NGK, if they only done them.

Just as I'm about to resign myself to having to fork out a fair few ££, after planning on talking with said mechanic about the merits of US vs UK sensors, I read the thread on this very issue on ClubLexus.

Deciding that WTF, I've nothing to lose, I head out to post a few letters off. Before starting the car, I open the fuel flap, undo the filler cap, pretend to know what I'm looking for, and then refit it, giving it firm downward pressure and counting (into myself — don't want to be deemed as senile by anyone passing by!) out 5 clicks.

Go to the PO, come back, fart around online for a bit, go out and fill the screen reservoir with some solution, give the interior glass and door trim/console trim/dash/etc a good lick over, and set off again.

Are you still with me so far? Good, I'll continue..........yes, we're almost there!

So, two start/stop cycles and 12 miles or so later, I'm back in the car to head home once more.

Select reverse, stop, select D......er....where's the lights?

Study, yes study the cluster and LCD info display — nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

The demons have been cast from the dash, but they're probably still lurking in the ECU storage compartment — not after tomorrow they won't, that's for sure.

And we've finally arrived at the conclusion.....don't presume the box of wizardry knows all the answers.

As it happens, Lexus (whether US only or worldwide, I don't know) has changed the part no for the filler cap, which presumes they changed the O-ring to a better one that can withstand prolonged and repeated compression.

I'll be speaking with them tomorrow to obtain a replacement F.O.Ffing.C — wish me luck.... :D