Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Project For A Sunday

So I decided to bite the bullet and spray the inside of my tail lights. It was a bit of an effort with far too much concentration (and cigarettes) needed, but i got there in the end. and I think t was well worth it..

picture038q.jpg

and fitted ......

picture041eq.jpg

picture035sb.jpg

all went pretty well, but i think i may need to reseal them as i didn't hold them together until the sealant had completely cured. if i do then i will possibly reseal with a black sealant.

yeah I used the Dremel. Fantastic piece of kit. I was a bit wary myself but I just took my time and it worked out for the best.

Well, it hasn't rained yet so they might fill up with water over night!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi posty,

I'm just up the road from you and often walk past and admire your car - I really like all the mods and your new rear lights! I have the silver IS200 - saw you driving past last weekend. I have an issue with the aftermarket LED tail lights on mine and will have to cut open the units to find out what the problem is. The following thread gives the details:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t62468.html

I am interested in your experience in cutting open the units (I have a Dremel, etc.) We must have a chat sometime and compare notes!

Hi posty,

I'm just up the road from you and often walk past and admire your car - I really like all the mods and your new rear lights! I have the silver IS200 - saw you driving past last weekend. I have an issue with the aftermarket LED tail lights on mine and will have to cut open the units to find out what the problem is. The following thread gives the details:

I am interested in your experience in cutting open the units (I have a Dremel, etc.) We must have a chat sometime and compare notes!

Thanks very much! all compliments are welcome. A chat sounds good to me, just pm me when you wanna have a chat. Will try my best to give you some advise.

I'll be perfectly honest I dont remember seeing you! sorry about that!

Hi posty,

Just a piece of advice to you before using the Dremel. Make sure you get the diamond blade, as it won't burn the plastic that much and the cut will be cleaner and better. I've opened few sets so far with no problems. Otherwise you can use Bosch 180PF tool that has a horizontal movement. If you use the Dremel, my advice is to position the light on a vice or something, and use your both hands for a steady cut. Preparation is half the job, believe me.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys! I just blacked out my headlights and now want to do the rears, but there is one thing I dont understand...

WHY you cut open taillights? why cant just heat em up in oven and take apart as headlights?

are they sealed different?

different glue is used?

i dont think cutting is going to look clean enough :(

The rear lights aren't just glued like the headlights, they're plastic welded so need to be cut open.

To the OP, nice job, looks nice with the blacked out. Also like the fogs, have you just used a tint spray?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links