Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello All

I own a 2007 IS 220 D - had it serviced in Feb 2010 - in March VSC message of self destruct come on and car goes into limp mode - Lexus recovered and advised it was the EGR valve which they replaced and all would be good. For a short while it was and then on the 15/06/2010 the dreaded VSC message comes back - RAC advised same code as before and goes back to Lexus - received a call from Lexus they advise it is the EGR but this time something to do with the cooling ???? and said the repairs will be £2000 after re gained conscious and began to breath again - they advised not covered as the warranty expired on the 30/04even though they did not offer me any extension to the warranty. I'm not a technical guy so they could be talking in French for all I know - the car has only covered 38000 miles serviced by the same Lexus dealer it was purchased from.

Any ideas as I aint spending £2000

Hello All

I own a 2007 IS 220 D - had it serviced in Feb 2010 - in March VSC message of self destruct come on and car goes into limp mode - Lexus recovered and advised it was the EGR valve which they replaced and all would be good. For a short while it was and then on the 15/06/2010 the dreaded VSC message comes back - RAC advised same code as before and goes back to Lexus - received a call from Lexus they advise it is the EGR but this time something to do with the cooling ???? and said the repairs will be £2000 after re gained conscious and began to breath again - they advised not covered as the warranty expired on the 30/04even though they did not offer me any extension to the warranty. I'm not a technical guy so they could be talking in French for all I know - the car has only covered 38000 miles serviced by the same Lexus dealer it was purchased from.

Any ideas as I aint spending £2000

I think I had the same problem (I have a 2006 220d Sport with 44k). I took mine to my local Toyota centre and was told that the cat had failed which would have cost me £1k. They went to order the part from nearest Lexus centre but were told that there would be something else wrong that caused the cat to fail so simply replacing the cat would probably be a false economy. Anyway it was taken to the Lexus dealer and they diagnosed that it was the EGR valve that failed which caused overheating and killed the cat. I was also looking at £2k but the dealer applied to Lexus GB for a contribution and they offered to pay for the repairs in full. I assume that this would have been done at a reduced price so fair play to the dealer for foregoing the extra profit if I was paying the retail price. I have a third party warranty so hopefully I would have been covered anyway. All other things being equal as a result Lexus will most probably be my first port of call when I'm ready to change. In addition I don't know if it was a result of the repairs or a software update but it is now a totally different car - much quieter, smoother especially at low revs and the scarey flat spot and sudden surge has disappeared, although the fuel economy has stayed the same.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links