Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mods To Increase Fuel Economy

mrkilo

I had a 1.6 Focus and dont end up paying that much more in fuel bills. maybe £20 a month more for same miles. and from that had a diesel and it was around the same as 1.6 petrol

I tell you what...If thats the case then either my current car 2001 Hyundai Accent 1.5 MVi is hard on fuel or all you guys think the lexus is hard on fuel lol...Depending on how i drive i get around 90-100 out of my wee car so i think 80 is great, since i was thinking about buying one you guys where putting me off lol. I have decided now :P

• Like 1

Good morning Keith. The is200 is a thirsty car. I've had mine for 6 months and use it for round town driving. I work about 12 miles from where I live and don't tend to do too many motorway miles. I've been driving cautiously and with the snow mode on to limit the revs and improve fuel economy where possible.

average MPG over the last 11,000 miles is 31.4. So, for £20, it is possible to go (£20÷£1.319=15.16 litres of fuel) (my last lot of driving over the course of a full tank of petrol was 443 miles using 65.42litres of fuel) (443÷65.42=6.77 miles per litre)

6.77 MPL × 15.16 Litres ( assuming your petrol is 1.319p per litre ) =102 miles if you're careful.

The Lexus is200 is a fantastic car. The level of luxury is brilliant and I could not imagine going back to any other vehicle. They are stupidly cheap now and if driven carefully, they can be relatively economic. But that is entirely up to how you wish to drive it. There are people on this forum that struggle to get the MPG over 20.!?!

I am gentle on the accelerator, but as I've said to others, I don't drive too slow. I stick to the speed limits and accelerate smoothly, but I'm always monitoring the MPG dial and lifting my foot on the accelerator to as little that will allow the car to power itself forward for the best MPG.

I've done over 11, 000 miles in the past 6 months, so I'm not dawdling. . . . :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The IS200 can be economical for sure. I mean i know ppl with V8s, even on this forum that dream of figures we get in our 200s. So it all depends what you class as economical. Its the going rate for a 6 cyl car of its age. If you look at it from fuel bills and ignore the MPG figure and your not breaking the bank then you'll be fine. I can get away with putting 40 - 50 in mine every 2 weeks if im just doing the commute which is about 10-12 miles a day which includes running the wife into work which is all full on town driving so im not complaining. Because im used to town driving when i do a long run it seems like its just sipping fuel and barly ticking over on the B and A roads round here

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed the car will achive the best mpg on the tick over rather than start/stop...

On my Is300 which is ridiculously low as in the profile pic, it has a drag which does not

help the mpg at all...

However on today's price shell nitro i have managed to get 80/90 miles carefull driving. (£20 worth)

Mixture of town and dual carrigeway's which personally i think this is excellent for a car of this calibire ...

Car is stock apart from the ride height...

Allways serviced form lexus...

But on normal occasions i have a very heavy foot and love the response of this car...

Car was purchased for the luxury and the drive and i certainly drive this openly it returns 17-20mpg

Approx 370 to the tank with mainly commuting on motorways to work...

I couldnt consider another vechile of this value for the luxury, smoothness, quiteness and overall drive so im happy with it

Previosuly i had a is200 and tried to fiddle with it for better mpg only thing that worked was to drive like a granny,

high psi in the tyres and

a k&n panel filter, max 20miles more to the tank...

But if your looking for economy is200/300 are not the cars they are simply just not built for it

The only mod i would suggest would be to gas convert it, then you'l have the best of both worlds...

had a few of these cars and must say there superb all around.

mpg is fair to be honest for what it is and what you get but the performance is turtles! unlike the 300 which is a total different story.

I have achieved 550 miles out the auto at best and 280 miles at worst, average is 350-400 miles.

best mod to gain fuel eco is you the driver yourself!

• Like 1

that's spot on mileage you getting there Ian.

if you want more then you got to drive like Richard from keeping up appearances & if you don't care about mileage then duke of hazards style on the menu'

Hey there everyone,

bought my IS200 almost half a year ago, already have 10000 miles done. To afford that I saw only one option- LPG. The difference in performance is minimum, and now I get about 240 miles for approximately £35. And that is not a granny style driving...

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm looking into buying an IS200 at the moment and the economy was my biggest worry.. Pretty much all I use my car for is motorway miles travelling from camp to home and back, but if some of you guys are managing over 400 miles to a tank that is brilliant!

I currently drive an MG ZS120 (1.8) and at my most economical driving I've only seen 342 miles from a tank!

My ZS tank claims to be 55L but I have only ever managed to stuff 45L inside it (from pretty much dead empty, to click), how much can the IS tank actually hold? After working out on the calculator my ZS averages 34.9MPG, and I drive on motorways/bypasses where ever possible and avoid towns as often as I can..

I imagine that the IS200 is also somewhat more pokey than the ZS should I decide I don't feel economical at that moment in time!

• Like 1

Good morning Luke. The fuel tank on the is200 is 70litres. I've driven the car pretty much to empty, the fuel needle resting on the stopper and I've only been able to squeeze 68litres in, so there are a couple of fail safes to make you think you need to stop and fill up, which is good.

If you click on my MPG banner in my signature, it will take you to my Fuelly page and you can see how often I've been able to pass 400 miles from a single tank. Admittedly, I do drive sensibly a lot.

My average over 14,000 miles is 31.5MPG and my last three petrol stops have shown my MPG as 32.4MPG, 32.6MPG and 32.7MPG. I'm due to fill up around Wednesday and I'm hoping my MPG to be higher again. I've done 410 miles so far on this tank and I'm still two notches away from the fuel light coming on.

Oh, and with my style of driving, I know I can get 50 miles from the car after the fuel light comes on. So if you do end up driving like me, the fuel light does not mean stop immediately. Lol.

Town and Motorway driving really does differ on these cars which ive recently found out even though ive had the car a year ive never really monitored my MPG before lol. I do 90% town driving most of the time, but when i go out on a trip or long drive i can achieve 25% better fuel economy which is a nice surprise for me. Normally get around 350 miles out of a tank 90% town driving but 450 is easily achievable on the motorway on a long run which is 30mpg. Ive not found this on any previous cars ive owned, if anything they used to struggle at high speeds resulting in sameish MPG as town driving. I have a automatic btw so less MPG than manual.

I reckon the performance will be slightly better than a ZS120 and a much different driving experience being a 6 cylinder. I dont think you'll see much of a difference in MPG compared either, i mean it will be slightly worse but minimal

There is only one way to go and that is LPG. I am paying 65p per litre its a no brainer. Mike

LPG does appear to be a cheaper and more efficient way forward. How much did it cost to have the LPG system fitted?

As for price. M calculations say I am doing £0.193 per mile, which works out at £1.38 per litre at the way I am driving, based in my last reading of 32.7MPG which is 7.2 miles per litre.

LPG cost a grand to fit and thats on the cheap, unless youve bought the car with it, its a investment that should be given some thought. Personally i dont see the point LPGing a IS200. A V8 yes

• Like 1

I think that converting a car to LPG for economic reasons are always viable. I love the SportCross and would only replace with a newer estate, as Lexus don't do any other estates, LPG would be a consideration.

But as I am being quite economical, at present, I don't think spnding £1000+ is the way yet. Though I have already spent £2750 on petrol since January 2013 . . . . . .

IS200's have not been well to handle LPG, even the best expensive Italian make convertion.

any other lexus is ok for it.

I was thinking about it too as I do many motorway miles but its been almost 4 years so what's the point now :whistling:

• Like 1

I think that converting a car to LPG for economic reasons are always viable. I love the SportCross and would only replace with a newer estate, as Lexus don't do any other estates, LPG would be a consideration.

But as I am being quite economical, at present, I don't think spnding £1000+ is the way yet. Though I have already spent £2750 on petrol since January 2013 . . . . . .

wow so how many miles you do annually?