Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mods To Increase Fuel Economy

mrkilo

I think I must have a car that's been well looked after cos I'm getting 440+ out of a tank without trying too hard. My journey is 35 miles each way and 50% dual carriage way/motorway and 25% B roads. It's only done 50k and my driving style isn't particularly conservative - maybe I should try an ultra conservative tank and see what it will do...

• Like 1

PetayV8. When I sorted my mileage out for he insurance, I thought I was doing 14,000 - 16,000 miles a year. But I think this year is going to be different. We've been to Burnley, Scotland and Oxford this year as separate trips, so they'll have messed up my usual average.

Gruntfuggly. I think your fuel useage is normal, most people here are heavy footed and like the acceleration. Regular driving, especially on the motorway and dual carriageway, you're getting the right figures.

There are other benefits, such as LPG is far kinder on your engine because it doesn't have the pollutants that petrol does and of course it far kinder to the planet if you are part of the green brigade.

For Stuart who spent £2750 you could have already paid for your install and now be in profit.

The other benefit is that you always have a huge smile on your face when you fill up and see all the others paying huge amounts of money to fill their cars.

It is I agree a long term commitment so if you are the person that changes their car every 12 to 18 months then this isn't for you.

Mike

Indeed. I'm hoping Profess Gas Ltd will be able to play host for the South Wales Meet on October 6th and I can ask more then.

2059.98 litres. This is how much petrol I've put in since January 2013.

Way to go. Mike

• Like 1

Indeed. I'm hoping Profess Gas Ltd will be able to play host for the South Wales Meet on October 6th and I can ask more then.

2059.98 litres. This is how much petrol I've put in since January 2013.

Fair play to you. Saying that the only reason most ppl drive around in eco boxes and diesels is they are too tight arsed to pay for the fuel, not that they cant afford it

Ummm. I'm not saying that at all? People have a number of reasons for buying more fuel efficient cars. I'm only doing this because I want to see how economical the IS can be and because I want an estate. If LPG is the next step, then sobe it. I can't imagine moving on from Lexus and the car is amazing.

Sorry Stu i wasnt saying you said that, its my opinion ;) lol

Everyone i know who drive diesels etc (cars designed for economy) have plenty enough money to run a car like ours but just choose not too, im not saying its a bad or good thing it just means ppl in this county arent very car loving like countrys like USA, China, Aus etc. just a thought

Ah, sorry. I was wondering why you were putting words in my mouth. Sorry for snapping. . . .

Yeah, in Britain, a number of people appear to be very conscious about the cost of petrol and will happily change their car assuming it will be more economical. If they factor in the cost of that new car against any reduction in fuel costs, then it may be a number of years before it starts to work out more economical. . . .

For instance, if I hqd converted my car to LPG when I first purchased it, the cost of conversion against the reduction in fuel cost (and slight Increase In MPG) would mean that Zorro would be more economical to run as the cost would've been absorbed.

Ah, sorry. I was wondering why you were putting words in my mouth. Sorry for snapping. . . .

Yeah, in Britain, a number of people appear to be very conscious about the cost of petrol and will happily change their car assuming it will be more economical. If they factor in the cost of that new car against any reduction in fuel costs, then it may be a number of years before it starts to work out more economical. . . .

For instance, if I hqd converted my car to LPG when I first purchased it, the cost of conversion against the reduction in fuel cost (and slight Increase In MPG) would mean that Zorro would be more economical to run as the cost would've been absorbed.

No i was merely giving you respect for running a car that does less than average MPG whilst stating the latter refuse too regardless of affordability (most of the time). Its what i love about the LOC, were all very like minded when it comes to cars :)

Anyway good point there about fuel costs against the cost of a car. all has to be accounted for

I have been informed by a friend who has a repair garage that cataclean is one of the best treatments for anything with over 40k on the clock. I read the reviews on amazon which tend to be a good product refection. Everyone say's better MPG smooth and engine respose/pickup faster. It is £12 will treat my Lexus four times ie a full year £1 per month so I have ordered it to have a go and will update you folkes when I know more. If it works out as bull**** then I will save you the £12. All I can say is the reviews are very strong for pro!! have a read :hocus-pokus:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think with a car like the IS it does come down to why did you buy one, how and what do you use it for. The fuel economy yes is sometimes a bug bear, but we use ours for short local journeys so I don't expect great economy, especially as mine is the auto, but I love the luxury and refinement. (Also the better half has a heavy right foot, not kidding....) Having said that, I had to go up North for a family funeral 215 miles one way. We would normally take my other car which is a BMW 728i, unfortunately I was not able to use the BMW due to a belt tensioner pulley disintegrating. Both my BMW and IS are the same age 13 years old. A full tank in the BMW costs me over £120+ and I use approx. just under half a tank to get there and that is at a fast speed if you know what I mean approx 2hrs 35mins. Now the IS did the same journey up at a quick speed not a fast speed, but above average and did it in just under half a tank and 3hrs. The BMW has a 90 litre tank, just under 300bhp and a 5 speed auto. On the return journey in the IS I was going very fast I did the return journey in the IS in 2hours 35mins. It used just over half tank. Which car is more economical? I was very surprised by the IS. I love these cars, I think they will become a future classic. Like I

• Like 2

yes Ashar, these cars are top notch for there time & going -

we have a bmw e90 330d m sport auto top spec In the family & went on a trip to Glasgow this summer. I drove there & back..

after the trip I felt like I had driven million miles on a world tour. had body pains all over, even though it had full leather interior.

we done the same trip in the IS & we all came back relaxed..

no way near as reliable & the car costs twice as much to run over the year than the IS200.

so I think it still competes even with newer cars. the only major difference I would say is the high power/torque of the bmw.

in the end it makes sense to hold on to these cars with many years to come -

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys , I dont have any answers but more questions .

I do love driving my IS200 , got my longlife stainless cat back that sound lush , However I have to admit I am very disappointed with the chaps who designed such a great luxury motor but over looked the fuel economy & ***** poor emissions ! which dont help with the road tax either , Why did they make 5th & 6th gear so similar ??. Has anyone ever gas converted a IS 200 & if so what sort of cost is involved ? does it effect the performance ? how long before its paid for its self ?

most forget the IS200's 1G-FE engine was designed in the mid to late 80's and at that time it made good power, and consumed well for an engine of that era. things have moved on since in terms of engine technology and design. the problem is not the IS, its prices of fuel. some one driving the IS in 1999 wont even worry about consumption as fuel was around 60 pence per litre would have cost around £40 to brim the tank of an IS in 99' but now cost over twice that. most modern engines have been designed to be very fuel efficient and green which is good and 90% of the time at the cost of reliabilty and longevity. consumption is actually not that bad on open roads or motorways as i can easily do 33-35mpg which is not bad for a 6 cylinder engine designed in the 90's but in stop start town driving it can get worse as 15mpg. i dont blame the car i blame the oil companies and govt for thier high taxes/vat on fuel prices. we have no choice, it gets to the point we cannot run it any longer, we'll just have to get rid of it for something more economical.

I agree with noby. It was about average mpg compared to equiv vehicles of its year and your living in a anti car culture in the UK unfortunatly. The bottom line is it can be frustrating for some. Luckily for me fuel economy isnt a priority. But for the latter i couldnt recommend the IS. So get a diesel or a modern petrol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well all I can say is after having the joy of an is200 in my life for the last week and a half the fuel consumption around town is fecking shocking. Just done the maths and I'm getting 20.27 mpg. I pray this rises on the motorway runs over the Christmas period cause if not she'll have to go :(

• Like 1

The motorway runs will improve the fuel economy, but, yeah, around town you need to be so delicate. If you're stuck in traffic, you'll be crying at the way it drinks fuel. I have an average MPG of nearly 32 over the last 20,000 miles. It is achievable.

I get around 22mpg around town in my auto, sometimes less. i knew this before buying. clearly stated in urban MPG figures. I do alot of town driving too. but my fuel bills arent drastically more than my Ford Focus 1.6 and am prepared to pay the little extra for a nice car. Granted i could of got a supermini ecobox but im too much of a petrol head and cars make me happy :)

• Like 1

Not wanting to sound patronising, but there are a couple of things that can be done. A service will help ensure the engine is running as it should.

I use Forte Advanced Gas Treatment for cleaning the fuel lines, engine etc. A full bottle to half a tank of petrol and drive until the fuel light comes on.

Wheels In Motion Alignment. Tony Bones identified a number of years ago an issue that Lexus still won't acknowledge. This causes the increased tyre wear especially to the fronts and especially to the inner part of the tyre. Altering the camber at the rear will also give a touch more grip and ultimately a slight improvement in MPG.

Finally. Snow Mode. This helps regulate the throttle response and stops you from over revving. It dulls the response at slower speeds to stop you from spinning up the rear wheels in snowy/icy conditions. Around town, it could help with MPG.

I agree with Pete. I'm happy to pay that bit extra for the quality and luxury of the car. There are many cars out there that do not have the same level of comfort or equipment.

I'm interested to know more about Snow mode, when do you put it into Snow mode, once the engine has warmed up or straight away from cold? Is the car speed restricted in Snow mode as in it will not go over 30mph?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links