Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tape Deck Keeps Spitting Out Ipod Tape Adapter

Hello,

I bought a tape adapter to be able to connect my Ipod via the tape deck in the IS200 car stereo. The sounds I get is fairly good, actually much better than using a FM transmitter, but the problem is, the tape deck will spit the tape adapter randomly. It will be working fine and suddenly, it tries to switch sides in the tape and spits the adapter. Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks!

i think its because the tape deck thinks the tape has been jammed so it ejects it. There should be a cog/wheel on a spring in the middle of the adapter this could be too stiff so try loosening it if you can, should sort it out.....

Hello,

I bought a tape adapter to be able to connect my Ipod via the tape deck in the IS200 car stereo. The sounds I get is fairly good, actually much better than using a FM transmitter, but the problem is, the tape deck will spit the tape adapter randomly. It will be working fine and suddenly, it tries to switch sides in the tape and spits the adapter. Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks!

Cassette players detect that tape is running over the head assembly at a reasonable tension while playing. They will attempt to reverse at the end of a side when the spools stop and/or the tape tension changes - otherwise will assume the tape has jammed or broken and spit it out. So try what Bobba77 suggests. Some decks take into account whether the spools turn or not or if there is a signal from the heads (a long silence means end of tape etc), and I don't know which of these extra factors is involved with the Lexus deck. Car cassette players are generally more cautious in their reqirements because it is so tedious to extract broken tapes etc - perhaps somebody on here can advise on specific details of the Lexus player functionality. The adapter has to cheat the player into thinking the necessary conditions to play are fulfilled, and yours probably fails to entirely meet all those needed by the Lexus deck. Assuming actual cassettes work OK; there is probably nothing much else you can do. Without taking anything apart, the best solution is probably to use a better quality FM transmitter, which should theoretically be much more than capable of getting the best out of an iPod - again perhaps somebody on here can recommend one. Otherwise, just keep poking it back in again!

i have used a tape adapter to play songs from my ipod and blackberry for a few years and hasnt let me down yet.

also what is this groom adapter? where does it connect to? thanks

Grom ipod adapter

Plugs into the back of the OEM headunit- there's a spare port on the back of the OEM headunit to add a 2nd multichanger etc.

Thank you to all of you that replied!

I got the tape adapter after getting burnt with a "reputable" FM transmitter, a Belkin Tune Cast Auto specially designed for the Ipod. Spend €55 in it and it won't properly work, plus no chance of returning it. There are way to many radio stations in my area, so finding an empty frequency is next to impossible, and if I do, then you lose it after driving a couple of miles.

Like some one pointed out, before going for the GROM adapter, I wanted to try a cheaper solution, the tape adapter. And I have to say I thought I had hit jackpot with it the first time I plugged it in. The sound was very good, much better than the FM transmitter, but then came the bad surprise, the radio unit keeps spitting the adapter and it gets to be too annoying. I will try what someone said about the turning wheel in the adapter, and if that is not it, then I will have to go with the GROM.

Have you tried cleaning the heads a-la old style VHS recorders.

Could be a bit manky in there.

For what it`s worth. I was using the cassette adapter until the weekend and were reasonably good. FM transmitters suck. biggrin.gif