Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Wheel Refurb

There is a place in Blackpool Lancashire that will exchange your alloy wheels for a set of refurbished ones for £260 approx, Just type lexus alloy wheel into eblag search and you should find them.

Hello,

The above post is over 8 months old but all information is welcome.

My import LS400 came from Blackpool.

Pop onto the new members area and introduce yourself to fellow members there are plenty of IS owners.

Finally welcome to the LOC :D

Thats a pretty good diy job pal!

Can you post a bit of a guide with what you did regards sanding down, what type of wet n dry you used, did you also just spray them from a spray tin or an actual paint sprayer.

Will be much appreciated dude.

Wasnt too difficult to do,

Stage One

Took each wheel off one at a time. Gave them a good clean with detergent and some machine cleaner then used emery paper to get all the really bad crap off the wheel. I didnt have too many dints or gauges in the alloy but I just used a well known epoxy resin ( bodge) to fill any holes in, after the resin dried I just used wet and dry ( kit from Halfords that was on offer at the time) sanding to get the alloy as smooth as possible.

Stage Two

After the alloy was totally dry I masked the whole wheel up which was probably the most time consuming thing to do. Then used an undercoat primer just one coat. Then I used simoniz alloy wheel paint (cheapest I could find as I was just going to test it on the spare wheel at first), applied three coats allowing drying time inbetween of about 10 mins. After an hour I applied 2 coats of Laquer.

That was it job done I did two wheels in a day so drove around for one night with one side of the car looking a bit rough compared to the spanking new alloys on the other side :whistling: . I will say however that I'm not 100% happy with the colour, thinking about trying it again with a better quality spray

Stage One

Took each wheel off one at a time. Gave them a good clean with detergent and some machine cleaner then used emery paper to get all the really bad crap off the wheel. I didnt have too many dints or gauges in the alloy but I just used a well known epoxy resin ( bodge) to fill any holes in, after the resin dried I just used wet and dry ( kit from Halfords that was on offer at the time) sanding to get the alloy as smooth as possible.

Stage Two

After the alloy was totally dry I masked the whole wheel up which was probably the most time consuming thing to do. Then used an undercoat primer just one coat. Then I used simoniz alloy wheel paint (cheapest I could find as I was just going to test it on the spare wheel at first), applied three coats allowing drying time inbetween of about 10 mins. After an hour I applied 2 coats of Laquer.

That was it job done I did two wheels in a day so drove around for one night with one side of the car looking a bit rough compared to the spanking new alloys on the other side :whistling: . I will say however that I'm not 100% happy with the colour, thinking about trying it again with a better quality spray

Thanks mate so you just used spray straight out the tin? Also what grade wet n dry was it?

And one last thing did you leave wheels to dry in anywhere warm or just outside?

Stage One

Stage Two

Thanks mate so you just used spray straight out the tin? Also what grade wet n dry was it?

And one last thing did you leave wheels to dry in anywhere warm or just outside?

Yeah just from a spray can, used a fairly fine wet and dry once i got most of the heavy stuff off, but depends on how bad your wheels are. As for drying them, I had the benifit of doing it at my workplace over the weekend where we have gas fan heaters.