Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

luckily no UK model,s are effected

Yes there are - over 3,000 of them! Expect a further announcement and VIN checker on the http://www.lexus.co.uk website early next week.

Some stories seem to suggest this will mainly effect cars built in 2007 and 2008. It certainly doesn't effect new '10 model year cars.

Yes there are - over 3,000 of them! Expect a further announcement and VIN checker on the http://www.lexus.co.uk website early next week.

Some stories seem to suggest this will mainly effect cars built in 2007 and 2008. It certainly doesn't effect new '10 model year cars.

Hopefully it will not affect the IS-F either :unsure:

Hopefully it will not affect the IS-F either :unsure:

GS450h, GS460, LS460 and LS600h seem to be affected.....Lexus say 3200 UK cars.

More detailed explanation here.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-issues-u-s-recall-of-139-000-lexus-vehicles-reuters_molt-77bd7005d56f.html?x=0

My car GS450h 2007 is one of the affected and i am extremely annoyed at my engine being stripped,head off,valves out etc.

Do not think this would make me rush out and buy another Lexus.

I'm not bothered about the work being done. What slightly bothers me is that Lexus has known about this issue for over 2 years. I think they've just hoped it would go away yet obviously it hasn't. What I dont quite understand is why this has come to a head now, unless it it just a case of Toyota wanting to get everything out there to start afresh. If you look on the clublexus site there has been quite a few cases of problems with the 4.3 litre V8 in the GS and LS particularly. My car does sometimes have a lumpy idle but drives smoothly otherwise. Better safe than sorry so I'm glad the work is being done.

More detailed explanation here.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-issues-u-s-recall-of-139-000-lexus-vehicles-reuters_molt-77bd7005d56f.html?x=0

My car GS450h 2007 is one of the affected and i am extremely annoyed at my engine being stripped,head off,valves out etc.

Do not think this would make me rush out and buy another Lexus.

I'm not bothered about the work being done. What slightly bothers me is that Lexus has known about this issue for over 2 years. I think they've just hoped it would go away yet obviously it hasn't. What I dont quite understand is why this has come to a head now, unless it it just a case of Toyota wanting to get everything out there to start afresh. If you look on the clublexus site there has been quite a few cases of problems with the 4.3 litre V8 in the GS and LS particularly. My car does sometimes have a lumpy idle but drives smoothly otherwise. Better safe than sorry so I'm glad the work is being done.

I have had my 07 460SE-L just over two weeks. Would I have bought the car had I known of this problem with valve springs, no! Am I concerned that the engine will need a major strip down after only 25000 miles, yes! Will this affect resale value, very likely! Having just discussed this with a Lexus service manager who told me they have no experience of this level of repair work, the majority of their experience being routine servicing. Do I have confidence in Lexus mechanics having sufficient experience to do this remedial work, no!

How many cars which are currently running perfectly, will go in for remedial work only to be returned to customers with more problems than they went in with?

Lexus are planning to recall all cars worldwide a massive task considering the complexity of the work required. It is claimed that only a very small percentage of cars have been affected, non in the UK, why subject all cars to this expensive and invasive recall.

Why not make a statement to the effect that they will install a new engine to any car suffering engine damage as a result of valve spring failure if and when this occurs. For myself this would be preferable, I do not believe this is a safety issue but one of engine reliability.

Mine's subject to the recall :mellow: Anyone had it done yet? How long without the car?

Mine needs to go in, :angry: haven’t had the official recall yet but when I rang them ,they told me it would be around a 8 hour job, so they need it over night, not really looking forward to it, I am not confident that mechanics these days have the ability to strip down engines, :ohmy: hopefully I am wrong, its only done 7k and runs as quiet as a mouse, ill probably get it back with a box of bits in the boot that they have left out because they didn’t now were they went. :o .lol

8 hour job indeed.I have spoken to three of my friends

all mechanics with 100 years experience between them

and they agree on one and a half to two days.

We shall see.

I am definitely not having mine done first.

Phew!!

Just gingerly typed my VIN in on the Lexus website and it came back all clear. Mine is Gs450h SE-L on a 56 plate.

Oh bother, ignore my original post! I had my road tax renewal trough yesterday and thought whilst I had my log book out I would just check my VIN again. I must have misread it from under the windscreen bubble originally.

So it's sit and wait like the rest of you.

GS 450h repairs are estimated to take 7 hours. Technican training has started with the first customer cars upgraded next week.

The V8 engined cars are estimated to take 22 hours as the engine has to come out. These will start beginning of August.

For a fuller explanation of what has gone wrong read here - note though that the VINs listed are for the US!:

Lexus Recall on Lexus Enthusiast

Unfortunately, mine is also due for the recall.

This reads like a much more serious problem than it did when the news first broke.

The car is over 53k miles already. Doesn't the engine have to come apart for the 60k service anyway? Maybe the dealer could be persuaded to do the 60k service maintainance at the same time for free :)

The car does suffer from the engine seeming to run when it shouldn't.

At traffic lights when you would expect the engine to stop, sometimes it stops almost immediately and other times it judders, splutters and runs on. It's like its on the edge of a stall, sending quite large vibrations through the car. It will do this for 5 maybe 10 seconds then finaly give up and the engine will stop.

This doesn't seem like the same symptoms for the recall issue, but I'll certainly be interested to see if the recall will fix it.

I'm not too worried about being without the car for a day or two, aslong as the courtesy car isn't a manual.

I am the general manager of a lexus dealer in the south and i can confirm that the engine does not need to be stripped and it is not an invasive repair. The GS models can be modified without removing the engine so repair time given to the technician is 7 hours. On the LS models the engine needs to be removed from the car to get to the valve springs so the repair time is 22 hours. Everybody will be given a lexus loan car (RX450h) and a gift on completion of the recall.

This is not an easy repair for a Lexus technician and only fully qualified LLT technicians will be given these jobs. Repairs will start in August and should finish in October.

Hope this helps.

On speaking to service manager at Lexus today regarding GS450h.Lexus have given the technicians (not mechanics)8 hours paid work under warranty although will take slightly longer.

Cars to be recalled first if it suits customer are the higher mileage vehicles,makes sense.Loan car will be supplied with no insurance premium (£12.50) to be paid.

The engine does not need head removed,valves will be subjected to high air pressure to lift and a special tool will hold valve allowing removal of valve spring,camshafts will be removed.

Surprisingly and alarmingly oil and filter will not need replaced !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked my 60k mile GS450h in.

I've been told that high pressure air will be used to hold the valves up during spring removal.

I've also been told I'll get an RX450h on loan. I did ask (tongue in cheek) for an IS-F but no chance :winky:

No mention of insurance. I've never been asked to pay on a loan car.

The dealer wants it for 3 days starting 16th August.

Malc

Just interested. I know that the item concerned will be replace but what other parts will be swapped for new. E.g. Hoses, belts, oil, filters? Maybe the general manager could advise.

I am the general manager of a lexus dealer in the south and i can confirm that the engine does not need to be stripped and it is not an invasive repair. The GS models can be modified without removing the engine so repair time given to the technician is 7 hours. On the LS models the engine needs to be removed from the car to get to the valve springs so the repair time is 22 hours. Everybody will be given a lexus loan car (RX450h) and a gift on completion of the recall.

This is not an easy repair for a Lexus technician and only fully qualified LLT technicians will be given these jobs. Repairs will start in August and should finish in October.

Hope this helps.

How comes i have been told that the appointment is for december!!??! this is from the Coventry branch.

I am currently considering a gs450h but this recall has put a bit of a dampener on it. Can anyone tell me if Lexus issue anything to prove the recall has been done - as in if I but privately I dont fancy just taking sellers word for it the work has been done. Also , If I was to buy privately a car that needs the work but has not been done yet will Lexus still do the work foc when not bought from them ?

I know the answer is to buy from dealers but any replies appreciated.

Cheers Kev

I don’t think they would give you anything on paper when the work has been done, but it would be on the cars computer record, so if you intend to buy one privately, just ring any lexus dealer with the reg no and they should be able to tell you the cars history. Once a manufacture has placed a recall on any thing to do with a particular car or model it doesn’t matter how you have come by the car , dealer or privately any work will be carried out free of charge even if the car it out of warranty.

Now go and buy one, I don’t think you will regret it. :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links