Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes, another tyre thread :whistling: ...

Just come back from two different high street tyre places.. One being Kwik Fit and the other being Autocentre (Big green building)

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of runflat tyres... The rides abit harsh and tyres are quite noisy.

Went to Autocentre first who advised me that I will need to tell the insurance company if I replace the existing OEM runflats with standard tyres? Apparently it can invalidate the insurance? Anyone else come across this before? I generally don't mind telling the insurance but I'm pretty sure they'll slap me with a £30 admin charge for telling them!! :ohmy:

Then shot off to KwikFit, and they say that the car should have the runflats replaced with runflats as the suspension is set up for these tyres... I followed this with - If the tyre is the exact same size, exact same shape and can equally carry 800kg plus at each wheel, in what way would the suspension be set up differently??? I got a blank response to this...

Anyway, I thought I would ask the experts here... Is it okay to replace my tyres with non-runflats? Will it invalidate my insurance? Will it ruin the setup, ride and handling of the vehicle?

The car is a GS450h and came as standard with the horrid runflats...

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated...

Regards

Just come back from two different high street tyre places.. One being Kwik Fit and the other being Autocentre (Big green building)

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of runflat tyres... The rides abit harsh and tyres are quite noisy.

Went to Autocentre first who advised me that I will need to tell the insurance company if I replace the existing OEM runflats with standard tyres? Apparently it can invalidate the insurance? Anyone else come across this before? I generally don't mind telling the insurance but I'm pretty sure they'll slap me with a £30 admin charge for telling them!! :ohmy:

Then shot off to KwikFit, and they say that the car should have the runflats replaced with runflats as the suspension is set up for these tyres... I followed this with - If the tyre is the exact same size, exact same shape and can equally carry 800kg plus at each wheel, in what way would the suspension be set up differently??? I got a blank response to this...

Anyway, I thought I would ask the experts here... Is it okay to replace my tyres with non-runflats? Will it invalidate my insurance? Will it ruin the setup, ride and handling of the vehicle?

Regards

My car that I brought from new defiantly didn’t come with run flat tyres, so not sure why yours did. As for the suspension, you can adjust that by selecting sports mode anyway, so that’s probably why you got a blank look, anyway I have the original Yokohama tyres on mine, its just had its 2 year service with 9k on the clock, the sheet shows 6mm tread on all 4 tyres, not sure what they have to start with, they seem to handle well for me although I am a fairly gentle driver, although I did have some problems in the snow, I think they are around £170 each..

hmmm... I thought they came as standard on the hybrid versions?... I was planning on drilling a hole in the side of them for the sake of curiousity!!.. They are the original tyres which came with the car. I am pretty sure they are run flats. Otherwise I've been suckered by the dealers!!..

Can anyone comfirm whether the GS450h comes with or without runflats?

I have the Se-l version.

Regards

Don't go to the high street tyre dealers they will charge you a fortune. I use Event Tyres, They come to your house to fit the tyres, they are quicker than the high street and they are cheaper. And you can book online or give them a ring, and I expect they will be more about tyres than the high street people.

Regards

I have a GS450h SE bought new from Lexus Bolton in April 2009 and it definately does not have run flat tyres. It is fitted with Michelin tyres although I haven't bothered to check if it has a full size or space saver spare!