Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Insurance Been Cancelled

D6NGR

Right people as you know I am 20 and just passed my test 10 months ago and got insured on the lexus with my dad as the main driver with cooperative for £2,897 i was paying £220 a month but i missed a payment so they cancelled my policy and they were being very funny aswell also while i was on the phone to try and pay for the monthly installment i got a letter through the post saying reminder to pay for the £220 anyway cut the long story short my car is unsured now and also i'm carless :sad: I need some insurance companies that you guys can recommend to me who are cheap please very urgent guys on my own its about over £5-7K fully comp with my dad who has 2 ncb's its about 3k fully comp me as the 2nd driver. HELP PLEASE GUYZ!!!!!!! Any Brokers recommended or anything like that.

I am insured through Swift, and found them the cheapest.

If your dad isnt the main driver, but you are, then you are lying to your insurance company, and can be dealt with for fraud.

You WILL find it very hard to get insured in later life if your found to be lying to an insurance company, so tread carefully.

If your dad isnt the main driver, but you are, then you are lying to your insurance company, and can be dealt with for fraud.

You WILL find it very hard to get insured in later life if your found to be lying to an insurance company, so tread carefully.

My dad is the main driver and i'm the 2nd driver so how is that doing fraud then!!! I'm here to ask people if they can direct me to a cheap insurance company or a broker!!!

What his saying is. Even though you are insured to drive on the car, if you had an accident and it was found that you used the car for say 80% of the time over your dad, then they might not pay out due to them seeing you as the main driver.

I use Swift, cost me just over £350

I always say if you can't afford the running costs then get a cheaper car.

My dad is the main driver and i'm the 2nd driver so how is that doing fraud then!!! I'm here to ask people if they can direct me to a cheap insurance company or a broker!!!

If your dad IS the main driver then it isnt fraud.

I said IF your dad isnt the main driver, but you are, that that IS fraud.

Just when i read that YOU were paying for the insurance and that YOU forgot to make the payment, that YOU had a quote for yourself (of 5-7 grand), i suspected that YOU may have been the main driver (easy mistake to make given the info you wrote).

So has the insurance company stopped your dad's insurance too due to you not paying? How does he feel about that?

Try Swift, its online and easy to do, and as i said, it has been the cheapest for me for several years and different cars.

They (and other companies) may get funny due to you having insurance cancelled previously, but good luck, i am sure you will manage to find a good deal.

Also, your dad may get penalised too, cos if its in HIS name, HE has failed to make the payment (as he is the main driver). If he doesnt declare this and has to make a claim in the future they 'may' get funny due to him witholding information.

I am not trying to be funny or nasty, its just you have to be careful with insurance companies as they will gladly take your money but will try alsorts to get out of paying you.

I can tell you that just the fact that you are paying for the cover (and not your dad) is a strong indicator to the Insurance company investigative team that you are not the main driver.

It is not a case of most miles or most time it is a case of principle "main" driver.

If you use the car to commute to work (for example) and your dad has another car in his name and uses that car as his "main" car the insurance company will have a strong case to refuse to pay up in the event of a claim. Also things like different addresses and if the car is registered in your name are all pointers to who is the "main" driver.

It is not so much a case of Fraud or of you driving while being uninsured, until you actually make a claim (or more importantly, someone makes a claim on you) The insurance company would then say that your insurance was invalid and therefore you would have been driving without insurance at the time.

The investigative teams of the insurance companies are becoming more concerned about this ruse and are starting to use more sophisticated systems to combat it.

Finally, while your father is the "main" driver you are not building up any NC history of your own.

As to getting a lower quote well the best I can offer is to use a broker. Oh, and don't forget that almost every request for a quote will produce an entry on your credit report. There will already be a flag on your report for missing that payment.

It is a long time since I was a driver with less than one year's experience but even in those days the best way to get low insurance bills was to drive a cheap low powered car, but even then the insurance was the biggest cost.

yeah i understand what you guys are saying!! can you get a traders policy for a 18-20 year old as my younger brother wants to get insured with me and my dad but if i can get a traders policy that would be better i think.

I dont really know a great deal about traders policies, apart from if your using a car on a regular basis it has to be registered in your name.

Usually traders policies have the car listed as 'in trade' when they are checked. The point of this is that if the car IS in trade, it wont show the extra keeper (the trader) on the log book.

The problem here is that if you hit a speed/red light camera, there isnt really any (easy) way of finding it back to you, so insurance companies insist that you register it in your name.

If you dont, and regularly speed or hit red light cameras you could find yourself in trouble for perverting the course of justice (but unlikely).

You may also have to show that you are indeed a trader.

The price of this may actually be more that your original quote, but you will have to look into it.

A friend of mine (in his 30's at the time), did take a traders policy out due to having a few cars, and it DID work out a lot cheaper for him (he did work in a garage though, as an MOT tester).

Another problem you may hit, is that you have had an insurance cancelled due to not paying. They may insist that you pay in full up front now. Or they may just increase your premiums. Either way, you will be out of pocket and the robbing insurance companies will get more of your hard earned.

Let us know the outcome, and good luck.

Traders policies require that you display the trade plates. They also require that the V5 documentation for the vehicle has been completed by the previous keeper and submitted to DVLA.

This means that any misdemeanor carried out by the driver (parking, congestion charge, speeding, stc) or accident is still correctly attributable to the current trader and not the previous owner.

Finally "Trader Insurance" is generally higher as it has to cover potentially all vehicles from a Frod Ka to a Ferrari.

Once again you would not be accumulating that vital clean insurance history.

Try Sky or A-Plan - both should do LOC discounts if you ask nicely :winky:

A-Plan are very helpful

Sky find cheap deals but you do 'pay for it' by them not actually working for you & you having to sort it all out yourself when something needs doing (repairs etc)

It's definitely worth trying to get your own insurance rather than going on as a named otherwise you won't build up your own no claims which in the future could act against you

Traders policies require that you display the trade plates. They also require that the V5 documentation for the vehicle has been completed by the previous keeper and submitted to DVLA.

This means that any misdemeanor carried out by the driver (parking, congestion charge, speeding, stc) or accident is still correctly attributable to the current trader and not the previous owner.

Finally "Trader Insurance" is generally higher as it has to cover potentially all vehicles from a Frod Ka to a Ferrari.

Once again you would not be accumulating that vital clean insurance history.

my mate has a trade policy but his not a trader and you don't need trade paltes to have one. His policy also ahs a maximum car value so he can only drive cars up to £7000 in value. He also has always got the cars in his name so he can then sell them on. His not registered as a trader and just buys and sell a hand full of cars a year and as he changes his everyday car every few months it works out easier for him.

It cost him about £600-700 a year for him and his wife. So not that expensive

I feel for you in one respect as my 1st car a 1961 Mini cost me £100 and the insurance was also £100 TPFT but that was nearly 35 years ago, I recently sold my late Dad's car to a young lad of 21 the car was a standard 1.4 Rover 25 on an X plate bought the car for 1200 and cost £800.00 to insure,I don't know if that was fully Comp or not.

If I were not over 50 with 9 years protected no claims bonus I wouldn't even have considered a Lexus but can cope with £300.00 fully comp.

For me from a battered Mini to an LS400 took 30 years.

On the other hand using your Dad's insurance is a little iffy,as others have said who is the main driver as you seem, given the past problems with the squeak amongst others to be mostly driving it around or to the garage to have nitrogen put in the tyres or fitting modified parts e.g

"Mod's up to now are: Sports Grille and Darker Rear lights and also Tinted Windows all round and Nitrogen filled Tyres and K&N Panel Filter....Still more to come soon...."

You must have a very understanding Dad letting you fit all these mods to his car and allowing you to fit planned future ones! Mine didn't let me even drive his.

I assume your Dad had also declared these mods to the insurance company?

Your yearly insurance cost is nearly as much as I paid for my LS.

I sympatise in some respects but get your own insurance policy and in 5 years time if you keep a clean sheet you will benefit from more reasonable policy costs and may be able to afford an ISF

A motor trade policy is tailored to your exact needs.

i have on due to my detailing busniess. this covers me for any car i own (as many as i want no extra fee) upto a vaule of £5k. It covers me to drive customers cars fully comp the value upto £45k.

You do, again need to justify this, so you either need to have a registered business, or be a contractor registtered as a limited company etc. You cant really just set up a motor trade policy because its cheaper.

Again come crunch time, they will investigate.

HTH

Cheers

Miker

I feel for you in one respect as my 1st car a 1961 Mini cost me £100 and the insurance was also £100 TPFT but that was nearly 35 years ago, I recently sold my late Dad's car to a young lad of 21 the car was a standard 1.4 Rover 25 on an X plate bought the car for 1200 and cost £800.00 to insure,I don't know if that was fully Comp or not.

If I were not over 50 with 9 years protected no claims bonus I wouldn't even have considered a Lexus but can cope with £300.00 fully comp.

For me from a battered Mini to an LS400 took 30 years.

On the other hand using your Dad's insurance is a little iffy,as others have said who is the main driver as you seem, given the past problems with the squeak amongst others to be mostly driving it around or to the garage to have nitrogen put in the tyres or fitting modified parts e.g

"Mod's up to now are: Sports Grille and Darker Rear lights and also Tinted Windows all round and Nitrogen filled Tyres and K&N Panel Filter....Still more to come soon...."

You must have a very understanding Dad letting you fit all these mods to his car and allowing you to fit planned future ones! Mine didn't let me even drive his.

I assume your Dad had also declared these mods to the insurance company?

Your yearly insurance cost is nearly as much as I paid for my LS.

I sympatise in some respects but get your own insurance policy and in 5 years time if you keep a clean sheet you will benefit from more reasonable policy costs and may be able to afford an ISF

My dad is kind so he lets me mod it because this is his 2nd car so doesn't really have interest about it to him its a lexus to me its a very special car so thats why i want to get insured back on it if not then i know it will get used as the family run about and i aint going to allow that am i guyz!!!!!

I just went through Sky Insurance, after they launched a competition on here (timing is everything), they were the cheapest, they gave discount for being in the LOC after requesting my username, (wife as main, me as second, icl. 3rd party trailer cover) £250 excess.

• 1 month later...

If its any consolation it gets better as you get older. I waited until I was 28 until I learned to drive because I couldn't bear the thought of paying £1000 to insure a 950cc Fiesta. Now with not even a single year NCB and several mods I can insure an IS300 - the car I always wanted - for a little over £1.2k

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing you can do is buy a cheap banger of a car and get insured on that, but have it on your insurance that you can driver any other car.

What this means is that you will have your own car and insurance, so will get no claims bonuses, but will also be able to drive your dads lexus on a third party basis whenever you want, providing he has insurance for it himself.

You may be able to get a decent car for £500 or so, and insurance for a grand or two. This will still be cheaper than you as a named driver.

I know a lad who does this. He is insured on a Fiat Punto, but drives 'his mams' Mitsubishi Evo.

BTW, he was grassed up to the insurance company for actually being the main driver.

Another thing you can do is buy a cheap banger of a car and get insured on that, but have it on your insurance that you can driver any other car.

What this means is that you will have your own car and insurance, so will get no claims bonuses, but will also be able to drive your dads lexus on a third party basis whenever you want, providing he has insurance for it himself.

You may be able to get a decent car for £500 or so, and insurance for a grand or two. This will still be cheaper than you as a named driver.

I know a lad who does this. He is insured on a Fiat Punto, but drives 'his mams' Mitsubishi Evo.

BTW, he was grassed up to the insurance company for actually being the main driver.

How old was he.