Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Amount Of Atf

SteveLS400

Hi Chaps

As I suspected the ATF is in need of topping up.

The current reading is approx 2/3 down the fill marking on the dipstick ie it shows about a third up the notches.

I would like to know roughly how much Toyota Type Iv ATF I will need to bring it to level in my MKIII, please.

Worth noting that having tried searching to buy the stuff, I ended up speaking to parts dept at Toyota Grantham who don't have any but can get me 5 litres for £51. I was thinking of a no more than a litre, with some to spare to top up in the future.

On mine there is very small amount required to top up from the low to high marks (experienced from a fluid change) so I would suggest a 1ltr pack would be plenty.

Did you check the level hot or cold as the hot level readings are supposedly more accurate according to Lexus,the cold measure should only be considered a rough reading.

I think to get the correct hot readings a run of a least 35 miles must be completed and the levels checked immediately on return after following the recommended proceedure in the handbook before reading the level.

After topping up keep a close eye on the level if it begins dropping there may be a leak, not necessarily visible.

On mine there is very small amount required to top up from the low to high marks (experienced from a fluid change) so I would suggest a 1ltr pack would be plenty.

Did you check the level hot or cold as the hot level readings are supposedly more accurate according to Lexus,the cold measure should only be considered a rough reading.

I think to get the correct hot readings a run of a least 35 miles must be completed and the levels checked immediately on return after following the recommended proceedure in the handbook before reading the level.

After topping up keep a close eye on the level if it begins dropping there may be a leak, not necessarily visible.

Thanks Steve.

I thought it wouldn't take a lot hence the reason for being put off by the thought of having the best part of 5 litres deteriorating on my shelf. A friend has contacts at Toyota and will get me some when he's next there.

The check I performed was when the car was hot so I'm reasonable confident that the reading was accurate based on your advice, but I do intend checking it regularly now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links