Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It is usually related to bulb failure, try swapping the bulbs around and see if the problem switches to the other side

Thanks, but when opening the bonnet it doesn't look like a job for me.

Will have to take it to Lexus. :angry:

LOL :D well if the car is still under warranty then take it to lexus and you should get a new set of bulbs installed for free

It is usually related to bulb failure, try swapping the bulbs around and see if the problem switches to the other side

Thanks, but when opening the bonnet it doesn't look like a job for me.

Will have to take it to Lexus. :angry:

Hi Ahmed - I have similar problem on my IS220D with Xenon lights. Passenger (left) Xenon light comes on when I start the car but goes off after a few minutes. I can get it back on again by quickly turning off the lights and back on again. The offending bulb looks slightly dimmer than the other so I expect its a bulb failure. Know what you mena about opening the bonnet. Lights are not easy to get at.

Hi Ahmed - I have similar problem on my IS220D with Xenon lights. Passenger (left) Xenon light comes on when I start the car but goes off after a few minutes. I can get it back on again by quickly turning off the lights and back on again. The offending bulb looks slightly dimmer than the other so I expect its a bulb failure. Know what you mena about opening the bonnet. Lights are not easy to get at.

If the car is still under warranty, this is something that the dealership sorts out under warranty. It is usually related to bulb failure and in a few cases have been related to faulty DENSO ballasts. If the car is not under warranty, then your best bet to buy the OEM Phillips D4S bulbs would be from sellers abroad. You can pickup brand new sets of OEM 4300K Phillips bulbs from USA on eBay for about $80. Here in the UK the dealerships will charge over £200 for the replacement.

Here's my experience with the HID lights / bulbs.

Left one was flickering and intermittently went off. Got two Philips D4S bulbs at a fraction of the cost from a guy on eBay in America. Lexus fitted them free of charge but still flickering, and now the right one too!

Lexus took it in and said ballasts were faulty, apparently they corrode as behind the bumper. Problem is that you cannot just purchase the ballasts you have to replace the whole headlight unit with each one costing £600 each! Luckily I had taken out the lexus extended warranty and they did it for free saving a whopping 1200 quid exc. labour.

Anyway, left one is ok but right one flickers and sometimes goes off, they say its the bulb. They put the old one back but the colour was significantly different. So now I am going to bite the bullet and cough up for lexus to supply the bulb for piece of mind. They come with a 12 mth warranty but do cost £190! I know the garage well so I reckon I will get some money off.

information for people, who do not have warranty anymore - my previous car was citroen c5 with Xenon and one ballast got also broken. Service said the same as to bigmick - I'd have to change whole headlight for 1.000 € (pls note that one citroen Xenon headlight is more expensive than one bixenon lexus headlight).

I went to Xenon service and they changed the ballast for 200 € incl. labor. So I hope this will be possible with lexus, too.

Here's my experience with the HID lights / bulbs.

Left one was flickering and intermittently went off. Got two Philips D4S bulbs at a fraction of the cost from a guy on ebay in America. Lexus fitted them free of charge but still flickering, and now the right one too!

Lexus took it in and said ballasts were faulty, apparently they corrode as behind the bumper. Problem is that you cannot just purchase the ballasts you have to replace the whole headlight unit with each one costing £600 each! Luckily I had taken out the lexus extended warranty and they did it for free saving a whopping 1200 quid exc. labour.

Anyway, left one is ok but right one flickers and sometimes goes off, they say its the bulb. They put the old one back but the colour was significantly different. So now I am going to bite the bullet and cough up for lexus to supply the bulb for piece of mind. They come with a 12 mth warranty but do cost £190! I know the garage well so I reckon I will get some money off.

Update: Yesterday Lexus did the drivers side bulb, I asked them to save the old one just in case. Anyway, no flickering whatsoever but the colour of the genuine lexus is different to the supposedly genuine lexus (Philips D4S bulb) that I got from America (e-bay).

The proper lexus is a yellow ish white, the eBay Philips Xeneco blue white. I am now guessing that despite the description on eBay, these are not the genuine philips bulbs used by Lexus / Toyota.

Means I am gonna have to shell out for another bulb from Lexus! £230 quid fitted (thats with 10% disc!).

Hi, Had it fixed at norwich Lexus. It costs £136 with vat and fitting. I tried quote from toyota main dealer who wanted £186.

Apparantly some earlier models have an extended waranty on the bulbs so it's worth checking.

Thanks for views and replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :hehe:

Hi, Had it fixed at norwich Lexus. It costs £136 with vat and fitting. I tried quote from toyota main dealer who wanted £186.

Apparantly some earlier models have an extended waranty on the bulbs so it's worth checking.

Well done on the price! The part was 190 from Lexus Stoke and only managed 10% discount. I will be calling around next time and asking for a price match! On a plus point, they spotted a slight leak from the water pump, water pump to be replaced with Lexus extended warranty, no quibbles.

Not comfortable with getting the bulbs from the states, like I say I have two now in the boot of my car, one a different colour and one that flickers both supposedly brand new and identical to Lexus OEM.

When one of my stock bulbs started going out I replaced with a new pair of OEM Phillips D4S from the states and worked for over 2 years perfectly. It still works fine but I've upgraded to Japan made Garax 6000k D4S. As long as you swap out both bulbs together you don't really have mismatch issues.

When one of my stock bulbs started going out I replaced with a new pair of OEM Phillips D4S from the states and worked for over 2 years perfectly. It still works fine but I've upgraded to Japan made Garax 6000k D4S. As long as you swap out both bulbs together you don't really have mismatch issues.

I swapped them both at the same time but unfortunately I had the ballast issues, now its all done, I found one of the OEM bulbs to still be flickering, which is why I decided to go with the one from Lexus.

My concern is, if the bulbs are the same as the Lexus ones (as advertised), why are they a different colour. TBH I wouldnt have minded if I hadnt have had the flickering.

I swapped them both at the same time but unfortunately I had the ballast issues, now its all done, I found one of the OEM bulbs to still be flickering, which is why I decided to go with the one from Lexus.

My concern is, if the bulbs are the same as the Lexus ones (as advertised), why are they a different colour. TBH I wouldnt have minded if I hadnt have had the flickering.

Colour changes as the bulbs burn. So a new set of bulbs colour will not match an old set and vice versa. As for the flickering, this is usually related to a faulty DENSO ballast and it has been quite a common problem with the 2G IS

Colour changes as the bulbs burn. So a new set of bulbs colour will not match an old set and vice versa. As for the flickering, this is usually related to a faulty DENSO ballast and it has been quite a common problem with the 2G IS

Hi, my experience was that a new Lexus bulb did not match a new "so-called, OEM Lexus Philips D4S bulb" from the states. In fact it was way off on colour. I assume the Lexus one was the genuine OEM. It came in a toyota box.

The ones from the states were a fraction of the price and I installed them as a pair, right one flickered, swapped and no issue whatsoever with the replacement Lexus bulb. As I pulled into the drive this evening I spotted a slight flicker in the left one too (new from USA) Maybe its just a bad experience from me, but I went with a reputable seller, plenty of feedback. I guess you pay your money you take your choice. I would have been happy with the ones from the states colour wise but not with flickering - I did have to look closely to spot the flickering on the near side.

The ones from the states were a fraction of the price and I installed them as a pair, right one flickered, swapped and no issue whatsoever with the replacement Lexus bulb. As I pulled into the drive this evening I spotted a slight flicker in the left one too (new from USA) Maybe its just a bad experience from me, but I went with a reputable seller, plenty of feedback. I guess you pay your money you take your choice. I would have been happy with the ones from the states colour wise but not with flickering - I did have to look closely to spot the flickering on the near side.

It must not have been geniuine OEM ones. Because there are alot from the states that says Phillips D4S but they mean its just like Phillips D4S. They also show the picture of Phillips D4S

It must not have been geniuine OEM ones. Because there are alot from the states that says Phillips D4S but they mean its just like Phillips D4S. They also show the picture of Phillips D4S

Hi, I was pretty sure from the advert that they were.

They were referred to as : Brand NEW Genuine OEM Germany Philips XenEco 42402 D4S Xenon Headlight HID bulbs

Plus:

It stated to fit Lexus Toyota Part Number

90981-20020

90981-20024

90981-20031

2006 and up Lexus IS250 IS350 IS350F

My bulb direct from Toyota/Lexus was L90981-20024 and is clearly a different colour from the two I got from the states via eBay plus when looking closely both flicker, one significantly and intermittently went out. The guy clearly sold lots of different bulbs but something doesnt quite add up. He did offer to swap one because of the flickering but then I found out the ballasts were faulty so didnt return within the 7 day exchange.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Spoke to Norwich Lexus as my near side flickering - I had the off-side done as per my previous posts and paid over £200 so was keen to save money.

They confirmed they sell the bulb @ £68.90 + VAT - the reason for the big price drop is that this isnt the OEM bulb that is installed at manufacture or under warranty (which is the Philips D4S), this is an omni bulb. Now I dont particularly care, however, I am concerned that it wont match the new Philips one I have just had - any comments?

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have an IS220D with xenon lights. When the lights come on drivers side light comes on for about a second then goes off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Your problem should be on the ballast.

The OEM ballast for your car is Denso-D2S-Ballast.jpg

Wish can help you. Good luck.

My 220D suffered the exact same problem. Passenger side light didn't seem quite so bright then it would turn itself off.

I was quoted £140 from my local dealer who acknowledged that there had been a problem but the bulb would not be covered under warrantee ! Shortly after the head gasket went so I traded the diesel in for a 250C SE - L. Needless to say this cured the headlamp problem.

Your problem should be on the ballast.

The OEM ballast for your car is Denso-D2S-Ballast.jpg

Wish can help you. Good luck.

Lexus will want £600 for the part (if its the ballast) as part of the headlight. I know, I had both done (albeit under extended warranty - phew). with labour it would have been ridiculous.

I am sure you could get it cheaper if DIY with the appropriate parts!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links