Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Airbag Bypass?

Basically I want to fit a different steering wheel and I know if I take the factory one off the airbag light will be on therefore disengaging the entire system... Just wondering if anyone has done or if there is a module you can buy to keep the system in check with the drivers airbag removed? Or can a resistor be put in place? If so how and if anyone has a wiring diagram that would be ace... Cheers

Basically I want to fit a different steering wheel and I know if I take the factory one off the airbag light will be on therefore disengaging the entire system... Just wondering if anyone has done or if there is a module you can buy to keep the system in check with the drivers airbag removed? Or can a resistor be put in place? If so how and if anyone has a wiring diagram that would be ace... Cheers

Taking off the Air-Bag will not dis_engage the whole system, but it will put the light on the Dash, I'm not sure about the diode but could work if wired properly,

You could also pull the bulb in the dash cluster,

Air-bags aren't as good as you might think, I work with accident damaged cars and it would surprise you what it takes to set them off,

I have seen cars slaughtered with the bags still intact and seen little or no damage with all the bags discharged, so don't be expecting them to save your life.

Seat belts are a far better option.

on the is200 if you disable the airbag it shuts the whole system down, you can not use a resistor in the system, i have tried all options in the past, in the end i removed the airbag system

you can only use a resistor mod on the seat airbags

• 6 years later...
On 2010-10-5 at 9:25 PM, JollyRoger said:

Taking off the Air-Bag will not dis_engage the whole system, but it will put the light on the Dash, I'm not sure about the diode but could work if wired properly,

You could also pull the bulb in the dash cluster,

Air-bags aren't as good as you might think, I work with accident damaged cars and it would surprise you what it takes to set them off,

I have seen cars slaughtered with the bags still intact and seen little or no damage with all the bags discharged, so don't be expecting them to save your life.

Seat belts are a far better option.

If you remove the bulb won't it still fail MOT as you can see the bulb is not in if it doesn't illuminate when you turn on ignition?

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

How does a modification like this sit with roadworthiness, type approval and insurance? 

I do not see how this would make the car unroad worthy after all you can turn the passengers air bag off in most cars with the switch provided. I do agree that changing the steering wheel to one without an air bag would be something the insurance companies would frown on.

John

• Like 1