Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharger Info Needed

Right despite people saying its easier to buy the TTE kit me and a mate have decidedwe are going to give it a go ourselves

We have a problem tho. Why is the butterfly valve needed at the supercharger? There may be a simple answer to this but we cant understand why its there when there is already one on the standard throttle body

Is there any reason why others dont do a DIY job and just buy the TTE kit? I know the kit comes with everything but why not do it yourself? Also has anyone ever done it themselves

One more thing.....does the size of the pulley at the supercharger need to be a certain size?

Any help is much apprecited guys and we will get pictures and a guide up if we manage this successfully

I am thinking of doing the same a long time. I have figured out pretty much everything.

Could bypass buterfly be replaced with BOW?

I think the hardest part could be mount. the pulleys must be perfeclty aligned and there must be a tensioner for the belt.

plumbing should be easy.

charger itself I am thinking could be from mercedes clk 230 or c230 or from other compressor merc, couse they use eaton m62 - same as tte kit.

The size of the pully is critical as it decides how much boost you have

I peronally know nothing about these but sure i read that - bigger pulley & bigger intercooler = more power

Edited by deckie77

bigger pulley = charger spinning faster = more heat from friction = hotter intake air = need for bigger intercooler

bigger pulley = charger spinning faster = more boost = more power (upto a point)

Smaller charger pulley = Charger spinning faster ie more boost.

If you want infomation on Superchargers especially the BMW Mini Eatons then browse MX5nutz forum as theres a massive amount of work has been done with them.

The throttle at the supercharger end is basicly to bypass the charger when your throttles shut, i allows the engine to run no/very little boost at low throttle load to help with MPG etc. Imagine small throttle input no boost and engine sucking through a air filter then plant throttle bypass butterfly closes and engine see boost from the charger.

It's been a few years since i owned a TTE charged IS so cant remember the exact setup on them but thats roughly how it comes together.

If you do think about using a simular setup with bypass throttles make sure you dont show the throttle body butterfly to much resistance as it throws the car in limp mode and generally sucks lol. I'd try a BOV for funky noises.

Smaller charger pulley = Charger spinning faster ie more boost.

If you want infomation on Superchargers especially the BMW Mini Eatons then browse MX5nutz forum as theres a massive amount of work has been done with them.

The throttle at the supercharger end is basicly to bypass the charger when your throttles shut, i allows the engine to run no/very little boost at low throttle load to help with MPG etc. Imagine small throttle input no boost and engine sucking through a air filter then plant throttle bypass butterfly closes and engine see boost from the charger.

It's been a few years since i owned a TTE charged IS so cant remember the exact setup on them but thats roughly how it comes together.

If you do think about using a simular setup with bypass throttles make sure you dont show the throttle body butterfly to much resistance as it throws the car in limp mode and generally sucks lol. I'd try a BOV for funky noises.

mini eatons are too small to use with the is200,the merc one is the one to use..

also you dont change the size of the charger wheel on the lex you change the size of the driver wheel(one on the water pump)for a larger one..

i also run a hks bov on mine as well.........

my engine bay

dsc4441w.jpg

I was talking in general about the mini eatons as he was looking at a complete custom setup so the information on the systems people have put together might have been some use to him :)

Ok so i guess the pulley size works both ways lol are the charger pulleys on the merc ones not changable ? Never looked at one in detail.

I was talking in general about the mini eatons as he was looking at a complete custom setup so the information on the systems people have put together might have been some use to him :)

Ok so i guess the pulley size works both ways lol are the charger pulleys on the merc ones not changable ? Never looked at one in detail.

i dont think so could be wrong though its just everyone thats upped the boost has used a bigger wheel on the waterpump..

Hi Sparkystav,

I've seen that you are the guy that knows the most, so hopefully you can answer my question:

Is it true that the TTE pulley (130mm)is the same as a Mercedes water pump pulley (part nr A1112020110).

Because I've just installed a 185ps version and want to make the conversion to 205ps.

Thanks a lot!