Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Made You Buy An Is200?

Hi, i havent posted for a long time but this question has bugged me for a while...

I bought an IS300, as working for Toyota i have been lucky enough to drive both UK models (200 & 300). I have owned mine for about 2 years, have had no problems with it at all and am very happy with it.

I love 6 cylinder engines because of the smoothness and noise they make,but i just wondered why so many people pick the 200? In my opinion i found the 200 a bit flat. On paper to me its a bit of a strange choice picking it. Its nigh on 2 tonnes with a 6 cylinder 2l engine and only producing around 150bhp. I know that these cars were designed to be luxury vehicles and not sports cars, (the japanese BMW/Merc if you will) but surely only having that much power with no potential of tuning unless you spend pretty much what the car is worth again is a bit pointless? I mean its a heavy car with 2 extra cylinders so its going to drink fuel.... I know that im one to talk having the 3l version but to me its a better choice. It has about 60bhp more and its really noticable! I know this country arent keen fans of autos (the only box available for the 300 outside of America strangely) But i reckon its definately the smoothest box ive come across and the tiptronic system on the steering wheel still lets you feel in control when you want to.

I would be interested to hear your opinions. It cant all be about Fuel, Tax and insurance though can it???

Why did i buy an IS? Hmm, i have driven Hondas for years now after a very patchy experience with a passat, don't believe the myth of german engineering. I had been thinking about a 2.4 Accord Exec as i heard the engine was good and one day i saw a Sportcross and was intrigued. The more i read the more i wanted one. I have just bought a 3.0litre sportcross (because it was automatic) and have just taken early retirement so mileage will not be big so the mpg shouldnt be an issue. Best damn car i have ever had, or will ever have probably. Bulletproof engineering, a very creamy 6 cylinder, another first, and the essential autobox. Previously had a CRV which is a fabulous car but so big everyone wanted to use it for trips to the dump, first choice for friends on fishing trips etc. EG it was always my car getting used. I'm now having some selfish time and i had quite forgotten just how much fun driving can be. It's damn quick and handling is superb. I'm a wee bit concerned re RWD and may get some instruction. Oh, and i haven't seen another one in weeks, feels kinda special.

that is a good question.

I have my IS200 for a year now. Am I happy?

Well....

there is one thing I hate and it is fuel consumption. or maybe its just my toughts. my first car was '92 corolla 1.8 N/A diesel using ~5~6 l/100km... my lex drinks around 10 litres per 100km, so I would not say it is much, but I still can't get used to it since I filled my rolla with 40 litres of diesel every 600~700km and my lex needs 70 litres for the same distance.

apart from that, since I am not driving my car like I have stole it, 155hp is enough for me, but I am starting to look at some power upgrades.

I think IS 200/300 is one of the best looking cars, comfortable, well made, chicks like it....

and since I am 22 years old I wanted a car I can service myself.

In my country you are a real 'player' if u have a Merc or Bimer, stupid people buy these brands and drive like complete retards and anyone who sees a merc or bimer on street are extra careful and even scared of them. I even got my face hit and nose broken with a knuckle trough my cars window from a SL500 driver without any reason. But those are two car makers I hate and since I tought it was a time for a RWD car, this was my choice.

well, maybe I forgot something, but long story short - great car :)

When I bought my IS200, the 300 didn't exist. When it was introduced, it was a lot more expensive.

In 2001, the IS200 was in direct competition with the 318SE. It beat it hands down, especially on standard equipment. There were better performing options out there but none with the perceived quality/class.

Looking at the present time, the IS300 is only marginally more expensive and has the same VED rate. A no brainer IMO.

Why did i buy a is200?

Good question the main reason i got mine was i required a practical car after try to do the weekly/monthly food shop in my old MR2 mk1 LOL. Also taking into considertion that i have been and still am into Jap performances cars. After looking at most of my opitions, Golfs, BMW's and Merc's i realised that jap is the only way to go the german cars are over rated :huh:. I had always like the is200 the looks, sound that they make and as iam a big fan of RWD it just made sense. After doing my research before taking the plunge into buying one, i found out that the engines are almost bullet proof and dont seem to be many problems. After a few weeks of searching, test driving them, for one that had resonable miles, condition and of course price. I found 1 on eBay and i can safely say has been the best 2.2K i have spent on a car :). So it ticked the boxes style, realability, RWD, it was jap and it would take care of all my needs a whilst i saved up to buy a low mileage integra type R. :winky:

In 2001, the IS200 was in direct competition with the 318SE. It beat it hands down, especially on standard equipment.

This is exactly why I bought a 3 year old IS200 back in 2003. Still have the IS200, can't part with it- it's the best car I've ever had!

i bought mine after giving up on the Civic Type R as it was hard to find a good condition one which hadnt been thrashed around. So after my cousin test driving the Type R in the Lexus dealer, we found out that the Type R had a blown head casket so we walked away as my cousin pointed out that after 5 min of driving white milky liquid was found under the oil cap.

I saw the IS200 04 LE kodiac silver or something, but i wasn't really drawn to it until my cousin told me that they were built like tanks and nothing ever goes wrong with one. After a few days pondering i decided to ring to see if it was still there.. GONE.. come friday my cousin found another one for me, but i was at work at the time and it was during xmas where it got dark after 5pm so decided i would have to wait till the day after to look.

Woke up early in the morning and to my horror someone had already bought it and i had the luxury to see it drive off :( After that i decided to check AutoTrader, found one with low mileage (26.5k), good price (£7k), 2005 edition and decided to travel all the way to Ayr to buy it. 1 and half years later im more than happy with it.

Cut the long story short.. i bought it because i couldn't get hold of a Type R and i had to get a new car by the end of the month as i didnt want to spend £500 fixing the old car to pass its MOT :P Very happy with my car just need to add some mods to it hehe

Nearly forgot, the IS200 looked stunning in 2001. Still looks stunning today. That means that in 2020 they will still look good. Will there be any around then? You bet. I see quite a few Toyota Carinas (1992) on the road. The IS200/300 is better built, so should be no problem. As we have seen on this forum, there are plenty of seriously big mileage versions out there still driving sweetly. As long as they have been serviced regularly and had the cam belt changed every 60K miles should be no problem.

it was long long time ago.........

actually in 1999............

Lexus B'ham guy came to my office wanted to rent my show room, anyway, cut the long story short. they moved in and I could see all their cars from my glass office upstairs all the time.

I liked the look of the "new" IS at the time, so took one out for a drive, no bad, so I had it. Crashed it out side my company car park one morning. (head on, I got out the car by myself and the other guy wasn't that lucky)

Anyway, bought something else after that, had it for a little while, it just didn't give me the same feeling behind the wheel, so bought another one of IS200 again. had bought my missus RX300 and RX350 after that.

As the dealer were just downstairs (they moved to a "new" showroom in 2005 - the old BMW one in Sutton) I had many times to test-drive anything in the show room (inc IS300 for a long weekend to France as you asked).

Till now I am still driving an IS 200, 10 years now, still loving it.

Felix

i bought a 200 just cos i love the shape,style and feel - couldnt go for a 300 at the time as licence was endorsed so 300 would of been a costly car - was going to upgrade to a 300 (like whiteys) when my licence cleaned up but the 200 prooved too small so went for another marque instead - it was purely insurance decision for me as i was paying £2600 per year just to drive a 200 tpft

I would be interested to hear your opinions. It cant all be about Fuel, Tax and insurance though can it???

Simple really, after a Mazda 323 ZXI V6 FWD, I wanted a straight 6 RWD car that wasn't Auto, an enormous tank or a BMW (because in late 2003, they were still mainly driven by nobs). That only left the IS200. Luckily this was the car that came with sophisticated, classic good looks, handled and drove well plus Lexus's legendary reliability. Got the LE which came with all the toys - and I thought, the best colour. Not a ball of fire, but I rate it as pretty much at the top of the list of "ordinary" saloon cars ever made. Time has shown the looks to age well and the reliabilty to live up to the legend.

Interesting question - I had an unreliable 2001 LR Freelander TD4 and also changed jobs (which meant I could get the train to work). I decided that I wanted something comfortable, reliable and wasn't worried about fuel consumption. After looking at Civic's, Focus ST's, A4's TT's, 3 series etc I knew wanted something a bit different when I spotted a two 2004 200's at a Lexus Main Dealer both in LE spec, one auto and one manual. I got there the auto had been sold that morning and a guy had just taken the manual for a test drive, but had gone away to check his insurance premiums. I jumped in and got a decent enough trade in. Haven't looked back since, although would love a bit more power. I've had it about two years and other than normal consumables I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed). Even the original CD changer is working as it should!

What's the question here? Is it why did peeps buy an IS200, or why they bought the IS200 rather than the IS300? :huh: If it's the latter then I bought the IS200 Sport because I wanted a reliable car with rear wheel drive, lsd and a manual gearbox that wasn't a BMW 3 series. My IS200 Sport converted me to the Lexus marque to the extent that I was utterly confident in placing a purchase order for a IS250 SE-L with all the toys (and an auto box), eight months before the model was introduced into the UK.

Power? The IS200 had sufficient for what I needed it for at the time, but now my wife drives it. The 250 has similar to the IS300 with a lot better fuel consumption and emmissions, and the IS-F is, well, insane tbh :lol:.

I had always admired the IS series cars, great design and when I was 17 or 18 loved seeing them on the road, they were just a bit different than say a BMW but still retained a good chassis. I continued to admire this car over the years that I saw them on the road but really never actually thought I'd ever own one. Years passed and my 306 GLX that I had owned for about 6 or 7 years had just started hitting the mid 80,000 mark and being a French car I was ever mindful of the possible repairs likely to be needed in the coming months and years. So I decided that I would pass the car on while it still had it's relative health.

I was left thinking of what car to replace it with and at the time I was single, had been promoted and had a decent level of disposable income so I wanted something either a bit special or with a good engine. I looked at a high horse power limited edition 308 but quite honestly although the interior looked lovely I always struggled and still do with the frankly horrible styling that Peugeot employed in it's car 308 onwards. I looked at Peugeot 406 Coupe, I'd always loved the design of these cars but I realised that it would have French reliability, build and even the 2.2 petrol wasn't particularly quick. I toyed with the idea of adding 6K to my budget and getting an RX8 but whilst I liked them the feul cost and the cars hunger for petrol ruled it out in the end. Then I saw a decent Mazda 6 2.5 sport which was very tidy inside and out and I knew it had a good engine. So I called up to take a test drive but luckily the person before me bought it. I say luckily because this caused me to look one more time around the local forecourts and this presented me with an IS200 SE. The car was in excellent condition and had covered low miles with a full service history. The car had no price on and as it was a Sunday I had to wait until Monday to test drive and find out how much the car would be. I managed to wait the whole weekend and was so nervous that the car had already been sold, I managed to book a test drive and got to the car first thing with my dad. The car drove fantastically and I was pretty much in awe and couldn't believe I might be able to purchase such a car. The car was £8550 and I could hardly haggle anything other than a full tank and a £50 discount, I bought it there and then.

I have had my car for over five years now and I look at the car every day and I'm proud to won it and still get a great feeling when I just look at it. Sad? Maybe but I do love my IS200 se and it has been the best purchasing decision I have made.

The points that made me buy the IS200se were:

• RWD
  • 6 Speed manual
  • 6 cylinder engine
  • great overall spec evel for the price
  • Bullet proof reliability
  • nippy if not particularly fast engine
  • But most of all the looks, I just love the IS200/300 design especially with the 5 spoke standard 17" alloys.

The reason I got the 200 over the 300 was mainly the manual gear box, I know the auto in the 300 is great but I just love the proper 6 speed manual. Honestly though if they made a full manual IS300 I would definitely have got one of those instead.

The Lexus still looks great today and I'll carry on with this one probably until it dies, I have to say though my heart does sink a little though when I see one being driven by very young drivers now though, most of them just don't seem to appreciate the car.

What's the question here? Is it why did peeps buy an IS200, or why they bought the IS200 rather than the IS300?

Thats what i was trying to ask really... Sorry. Why the 200 instead of the 300?

To me executive saloons suit an auto box best dont they? Dont get me wrong, if the 300 came with a manual that is definately the one i would have bought because i enjoy driving so much and like to decide when I want to change gear...Which in a way, having the tiptronic system worked for me. I do really love all of the quality, reliability and just generally all the extras that you get with this car but i am dying to go back to a manual car now that i have had my fun.

I really do reckon if the IS300 had come with a manual it would have been far more popular in this country. British people just seem to have an aversion to Auto's. Personally if I'm totally honest I would prefer it if the 300 was manual but then I can live with an auto quite happily, you only ever miss the manual when beasting it around on back roads, and then you have the E-Shift buttons on the steering wheel (I rewired mine to be more like paddle shift, downshift on the back left hand rather than the front!). And lets be honest, most of our lives is spent creeping around in towns or sat on motorways or traffic jams, and in those times an auto is far better to have than a manual.

And after owning an Impreza STI I'd rather put up with an auto than put up with 150bhp! Performance wise it really is night and day between the IS200 and the 300, I know, I've owned both.

If Lexus had made a IS300 manual they would have cleaned up. It would have been at least £1,000 cheaper, possibly more. If Lexus sold more IS200 manuals than autos, what made them think that an auto only IS300 was the way to go - totally illogical.

I really do reckon if the IS300 had come with a manual it would have been far more popular in this country. British people just seem to have an aversion to Auto's. Personally if I'm totally honest I would prefer it if the 300 was manual but then I can live with an auto quite happily, you only ever miss the manual when beasting it around on back roads, and then you have the E-Shift buttons on the steering wheel (I rewired mine to be more like paddle shift, downshift on the back left hand rather than the front!). And lets be honest, most of our lives is spent creeping around in towns or sat on motorways or traffic jams, and in those times an auto is far better to have than a manual.And after owning an Impreza STI I'd rather put up with an auto than put up with 150bhp! Performance wise it really is night and day between the IS200 and the 300, I know, I've owned both.

I have to agree with this post a lot. I have owned and driven higher power cars so really a car of this size and weight with 150bhp just doesnt cut it for me...

The 200 and 300 are so different to each other and as said before, i would rather put up with the auto than have the lower powered car.

well i bought mine as a run around, something to trash about and use as a work horse.somethin that wudnt let me down. it does take a good beating and still keeps goin. fuel sucks though.. original timing belt still goin at 107K ,,

I really do reckon if the IS300 had come with a manual it would have been far more popular in this country. British people just seem to have an aversion to Auto's. Personally if I'm totally honest I would prefer it if the 300 was manual but then I can live with an auto quite happily, you only ever miss the manual when beasting it around on back roads, and then you have the E-Shift buttons on the steering wheel (I rewired mine to be more like paddle shift, downshift on the back left hand rather than the front!). And lets be honest, most of our lives is spent creeping around in towns or sat on motorways or traffic jams, and in those times an auto is far better to have than a manual.And after owning an Impreza STI I'd rather put up with an auto than put up with 150bhp! Performance wise it really is night and day between the IS200 and the 300, I know, I've owned both.

I have to agree with this post a lot. I have owned and driven higher power cars so really a car of this size and weight with 150bhp just doesnt cut it for me...

The 200 and 300 are so different to each other and as said before, i would rather put up with the auto than have the lower powered car.

The main reason the IS300 didn't sell well was that it was ridiculously over-priced. My IS200LE with a few extras, warranty etc was just short of £24k in 2003. The IS300 was also available in LE version - and with the same extras etc was £6k more and didn't look worth it for just 60BHP more, auto only, no extra toys and even thirstier. As a used car, the price differential has disappeared and makes it a worthwhile buy for the livelier performance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links