Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New, Dropping In A Few Questions

ninzor

Hey!

I'm new to the community but I've read more than 70 pages of this forum after the purchase of a Lexus IS200, so I won't bother you with the usual questions.Instead, I got something possibly more general(or not):

1.Should I put the gear in Neutral when waiting at the traffic light on an AUTO box?I discussed this with my mates, but we couldn't come to an agreement.I wouldn't trust myself too much because I'm really fond of Manual boxes...I've heard that the hydrobearings run dry when the car is in gear at the light for too long.

2.Can I change gear from D to 3 when driving (and back)?How about when the Cruise Control is on?I know I can, but I want to be sure that It won't damage the gearbox.It would make sense because the car would/should lock the gearbox when driving (like it does when you try to put in gear without the brake on).

I know these questions are quite general but everyone tells me a different story and I want to be as sure as possible.

PS:Quite possibly taking some pics and making a short introduction of myself.

To answer your second question, then you are fine to shift between different ranges whilst driving. They've been designed for that in case you need to stop it shifting to a higher gear (ie for engine braking on long downhills).

Hey!

I'm new to the community but I've read more than 70 pages of this forum after the purchase of a Lexus IS200, so I won't bother you with the usual questions.Instead, I got something possibly more general(or not):

1.Should I put the gear in Neutral when waiting at the traffic light on an AUTO box?I discussed this with my mates, but we couldn't come to an agreement.I wouldn't trust myself too much because I'm really fond of Manual boxes...I've heard that the hydrobearings run dry when the car is in gear at the light for too long.

I've never heard that one before and have been driving autos for some 40 years.

The best reason for taking the car out of gear when stopped for long periods eg at a level crossing applies just as well to manual cars (though there you obviously wear the clutch mechanism)

Is that should someone run into you from behind your foot will responsively be removed from the brake pedal and the car will lurch forward possibly into the path of a train or a pedestrian crossing in front of you. Obviously if hit hard enough this could still happen ;) Or, simply your foot could slip off.

Anyway, whatever the theories, welcome to LOC.

Thank you very much for your answers and welcoming me to the Club!

I'm glad I could surprise you with my questions, but I got more!

What's "Shift Lock" on the gear changer block for?It sounds sort of obvious that it locks the gear to the current one, but it didn't lock in, so I'm in doubt.What is it for?

Thank you very much for your answers and welcoming me to the Club!

I'm glad I could surprise you with my questions, but I got more!

What's "Shift Lock" on the gear changer block for?It sounds sort of obvious that it locks the gear to the current one, but it didn't lock in, so I'm in doubt.What is it for?

The shift lock button when depressed and held down allows the gear lever to be moved so the car can be towed or winched onto a breakdown truck if the unthinkable should ever happen.

Try moving your gear lever out of park without the ignition on, you should NOT be able to move it!!

Then hold the button down and try.

Regards and welcome

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links