Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aerosol Lacquer Clear Coat

Lexus-IS

Need some advice and tips on how to get a shiny non-patchy finish. It seems everytime i use a spray can clear coat, the shine becomes patchy. Can anyone tell me if I need to wet sand it and polish it out after applying it?

you need to wet and dry the base coat until its an even mat finish

spray the laquer over in thin even coats

wait a week and then lightly wet and dry to get an even mat finish again

then apply a gentle rubbing compound and polish

the art is in getting the base coat right !

Should i wet sand the base coat with P800 or P1200? and do I need to apply anything or clean the base coat any special way before apply clear coat? And what should I wet sand the clear coat with?

Thanks

Should i wet sand the base coat with P800 or P1200? and do I need to apply anything or clean the base coat any special way before apply clear coat? And what should I wet sand the clear coat with?

Thanks

wet sand starting with 1200 and increase to 2400 !

to both coats

800 is far too harsh for a smooth finish

wash off with mild solution of washing up liquid then thoroughly rinse with clean water, then dry

spray in warm ambient temperature

Im going to disagree here - sorry

the Primer and the laquer are your cheif concerns - get the primer right and you shouldnt need to really do anything with the base coat as it is going onto a smooth surface. You may as above need to flat back very lightly if you have got runs on the basecoat but light even application on 2 passes should be fine - but I would only use 3000 on this. the base coat should still look fairly flat until the laquer goes on.

The laquer - the key to getting this perfect is ................well basically not to do it this time of year unless you have a heated booth.

At the moment the air is damp and cold. This gets into the laquer and causes it to go cloudy. The laquer will also struggle to cure so you will be left with a lot of runs, and creases.

if it needs doing now rent a gas heater for a weekend to get the garage nice and toasty.

Then do 2-3 coats of laquer leaving a good couple of hours inbetween each coat. Again very light even passes - dont go over the same area more than twice.

Then flat the laquer back to remove any orange peel effect. Then asgain as above polish with harsh, medium and then fine compound to remove and scratch marks.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links