Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I cannot seem to find any winter tyres in the UK. When I google all I get are the 4 or 5 big online tyre companies who have no winter tyres.

If anyone has recently bought some locally please let me know!

225/55/17.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

useless in any other weather and will burn up on a dry road.

I am afraid you are not very well informed. Winter tyres work better than summer tyres below 7 degrees centigrade, i.e. snow, frost, cold and even wet. They even work better than summer tyres on a dry road in cold conditions. They are made of a different formulation of rubber that stays softer in the colder whether hence the grip.

Yes, don't drive on them in the summer but they are designed for winter even in the UK.

Indeed. I'm reliably informed that a Winter tyre will wear less in Summer than a Summer tyre will in Winter.

I found some winter tyres, my local Lexus dealer, and had a set fitted, Pirelli Sottozero Serie II. I think that I'll be able to give some feed back on them this weekend due to it snowing, I'm expecting them to be excellent though. I shall change back to summer tyres in April, no big deal if it gives me mobility through winter!!

How does it feel just having the different, softer, rubber on? Felt like a different car for me.

The steering feels lighter, although I have lower profiles than before. There is defiantly more noise, due to the 10mm tread, blocks and slits, but it's not a bad noise, its like a soft low level roar. I feel safer more than anything. I'm looking forward to give them a try in snow!

Knitware any update ? did you get snow ? could you drive your car ok in it or will it be looking for a new home soon ?

Hi - No snow where I am but I'm driving down to Surrey on Wednesday night and there is a lot of snow there! I will update Thursday. I'm quite nervous about it but if winter tyres are that good then I should have no problems, unless jack knifed lorries continue to close motorways.

Just drove from home to my office, some 20miles, at -8C. Lots of up/down slopes (not going to say hills to a man from Sheffield) but managed to not flash the traction control at all. Not once.

These winter tyres are truly awesome.

Excellent! This inspires confidence!

These winter tyres are truly awesome.

I'm certainly glad I have them on my Is200 Sport, as It'll go anywhere in these conditions. The IS-F is tucked up in the heated garage, as with low profile, and wide summer rubber it's more excitement in the snow and ice that I can stand.

ive just ordered 2 tyres for my is200. 205/45/17 nankangs at £118 each! they were much cheaper the guy said 2 months ago but we are being taking advantage of now because of the weather.

2?! You might need 4.........

Why not? Im not willing to spend £480 on tyres for 3 months use per year.

Could be dangerous due to grip only on 2 wheels, do a quick google or look at youtube. You aren't really spending the money on extra tyres because your summer tyres will last longer. It's a huge cost but the grin factor when you drive past everything else is worth it!!!!!!

Why not? Im not willing to spend £480 on tyres for 3 months use per year.

Don't then, but don't waste £240 on 2 winter tyres that will leave you even more likely to need to make an insurance claim. Consider other road users too. Spend the money or stay home in snow/ice.

You should never fit 2 winter tyres. All or nothing.

Correct. it' all very well being able to turn, grip and brake on the two rear wheels BUT your front will not grip, steer or brake in tandem with the rear. This amongst other things is likely to cause loss of control and a tendency to spin. It will also play havoc with the cars electronic systems. It will also render your insurance invalid, have you called them and told them what you have done?

It's not a waste of money buying four, but maybe a waste of a life :(

Priced up a set for the bus and thought the 1200 notes would be better spent elsewhere!! Luckily I've got the Scoob to get around in, but I did try and move the Lex yesterday only to get it stuck after moving about a foot lol!! The Yoko's are dire, really dire!!!! Same happened with the IS last year... So it looks like the Lex won't be moving for a couple of weeks and the misses is going to have to live with the Scoob :) at least the wheels aren't gold anymore :hehe:

****** sake now im a murderer eh? Ive bought tyres, not been fitted yet. So please stop making a big fuss about it, if you care so much buy me another 2!

just put them on one side of the car, that would make it interesting ;)

2 winters on the rear has got to be better then no winters?????? :blink: I'd fit em if i had them....