Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ave thought it was April 1st when they told you that. I have asked several local tyre dealers, some part of chains, and not a single one of them would agree with what you were told.

Were the tyres the only 2 of that size in stock ?

If you read earlier in the thread, you'll realise that stani refused to pay for 4 tyres so the vendor had a choice of selling 2 tyres (that he'd already ordered into stock) on none - not that this might have influenced their opinion of what was safe and what wasn't.

Yes, although I had read earlier that none were in stock it slipped my mind since that particular part of the thread.....however I still can't see where the vendor had already ordered 2 tyres for stock. I rather got the impression that they had been specifically ordered for stani, which surprises me because most reputable dealers would be inclined to not order just 2 unless they were replacements.

Whether he drives a GS is also somewhat irrelevant.....fitting snow/winter tyres to just 1 axle is plainly extremely dangerous whether FWD/RWD/4WD or a Lexus GS or a Lexus IS.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he ordered them in for Stani who was then informed he was making a huge mistake. Looks like neither buyer nor vendor were prepared to admit they were wrong.

This conversation is a bit like asking if anybody who doesn't use a hands free kit has had an accident whilst on the phone or has anybody who doesn't wear their seatbelt gone through the windscreen ;)

I think you are all over reacting here. Yes the tyres were ordered and yes i drive an IS. Ive just beeen to newcastle and back 380 miles in total down the a1. The car is great with 2 rear fitted winter tyres and 2 kuhmo's i think it is on the front. You are basically commenting on something youve not experienced, which is kinda like explaining s*x when your a virgin. Now i really hope the snow comes back wether its 2 or 10 inches so i can test my setup and let you guys know what its like.

Were all meant to be for and not against on these forums

I think you are all over reacting here. Yes the tyres were ordered and yes i drive an IS. Ive just beeen to newcastle and back 380 miles in total down the a1. The car is great with 2 rear fitted winter tyres and 2 kuhmo's i think it is on the front. You are basically commenting on something youve not experienced, which is kinda like explaining s*x when your a virgin. Now i really hope the snow comes back wether its 2 or 10 inches so i can test my setup and let you guys know what its like.

Were all meant to be for and not against on these forums

So you are saying that these forums are about agreeing with you whether we consider you right or wrong? It isn't that people are against you it is just that in this instance no-one seems to agree with your choice....which might make it seem that people are against you when in fact they are offering sound advice.

Regards Dave.

i was simply trying to say that i was expecting after all this, let us know how you get on rather than it wont work at all. i plan to update as i go and as the weather gets worse, if anything happens yes it is my fault but i cannot see how as ive bought these purely to get me home after going to asda or into town. not for long drives down a snow packed motorway or taking fast corners. im a safe driver and will cope with this setup as im not going to even go out when its at its worst.

Fitting winter tyres only on the drive wheels isn't any different than fitting snow chains to cope with snow or ice, so if that's all he's using them for he would have a relevant argument. However, winter tyres are manufactured for vastly superior grip in all conditions where the temperature is under 7 degrees centigrade, so in wet or even dry conditions at this temperature he will have a mismatch in grip capabilities front and rear. If you asked him if he would drive his IS with bald tyres on the front and full tread on the rear I would hope he would be sensible enough to see the stupidity of doing so, but the same logic with regard to only fitting winter tyres to the rear appears to have escaped him.

Did you notify your insurer yet?

Thought not.

I have called them actually and they said because they are temporary and just tyres i didnt need to inform them!

As for grip, its awesome. I have 2 like new tyres on the front not balds. Where as before i had about 2mm tread left on the rears. All these posts are funny, so far youve not been right about anything. Thats a sign to shut up :D

Did you notify your insurer yet?

Thought not.

I have called them actually and they said because they are temporary and just tyres i didnt need to inform them!

As for grip, its awesome. I have 2 like new tyres on the front not balds. Where as before i had about 2mm tread left on the rears. All these posts are funny, so far youve not been right about anything. Thats a sign to shut up :D

You're failing to understand anything that's being said. Just for the record it's the rubber compound that's different, and having full tread on summer or 'all season' tyres on the front doesn't alter the fact that you have a potential mismatch of grip front to rear. If you are driving around slowly in periods of low temperatures then I'm sure you'll get away with it, but it is a risk. I have a full set of winter tyres on my IS200 Sport as for the sake of spending a few quid on a couple of tyres it just isn't worth the risk, but I guess that your location probably hints to why you decided otherwise, although I would have thought the risk higher in Scotland due to the increased chance of low temperatures.

Presumably you have just changed the tyres on two of your original rims?

I understand everything perfectly, im just not listening. I have money for another 2 tyres but why should i? Im safe enough with what im using, maybe its only me that can see this on here. Before i fitted the tyres the car felt like it was driving side ways at low temps but now totally straight. Do you really think if i had problems with the front tyres i wouldnt change them? Its the fact the front went everywhere i wanted it to go and the back didnt follow because of the lack of grip. Now i have that grip and can make it home when the weather gets bad again instead of abandoning it for a week. Everyone can keep commenting but until something happens due to my tyre setup you have nothing against me

The question, stani, is whether you consider your winter tyres as an emergency solution to get some grip on snow for few weeks per year or whether you see wintertyres as a safer option for the wet and colder weather from October til March.

If you only want some grip and will pop them off when the snow goes, I understand your reasoning (although I'd never do this myself).

If you use wintertyres to their full capability, then the front ones are even more useful than the rear ones in the UK as the very open pattern allows you to deal with standing water (something pretty common in GB) much better and the front ones are most crucial here.

On our Lexus, I use the wintertyres I had on my Evo in Finland. They're not perfect anymore to put 400+bhp down in Artic conditions, but they're perfect still for weekend trips to the Alps with the IS.

Here's a clip posted elsewhere also.

No car got up this hill without snow-chains. The neigbour nicely left his RX300 (on summer rubber) parked at the top of the road.

To show what the right tyres can do, I switched the VSC off and drove up :)

I only plan to keep these tyres on until maybe mid/late february when the weather is on the up. These are just a short term solution, i might even buy another 2 next winter if the car doesnt go where i want it too this season

Fair point.

To be honnest, I wouldn't be able to comment how a car with wintertyres at the rear and good summertyres at the front behaves. I have only used wintertyres in (to UK standards) extreme conditions such as the North of Finland or the Alps.

What tyres have you gone for?

Great video - really impressive..... the 450H on Yoko A10's is awful this time of year.... Scooby power all the way for me at the mo......

I've had a 2003 STi and now have an Evo 9 in Finland and without winter tyres, these cars are just as useless as anything else once it's icey. I once thought I didn't need to swap the tyres on the scoob when it started snowing and even the 20 year old RWD wrecks overtook me left and right while I struggled to stay on the road ! :lol:

The tyres I use on the Lexus are actually Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4's which I originally had on the scoob.

IMG_4153.jpg

DSC03217.jpg

awesome stuff!!! reckon i'd defo have some if i lived where you are mate.....

you can take the EVO though!!! scoob power all the way ;)

You've clearly never driven a scoob in Scandinavia :lol: I'm one of the organisers of one of the scoobie clubs... but in winter on ice and snow, it's useless with its slow diffs and chronic understeer.

The Lexus is actually used on the South French coast, so studs are a bit overkill, but they were the cheapest wintertyres I could get my hands on and I've had a few people with quattros etc scratching their head why they couldn't follow an old RWD Lexus on an icey Alpine road. :D

You've clearly never driven a scoob in Scandinavia :lol: I'm one of the organisers of one of the scoobie clubs... but in winter on ice and snow, it's useless with its slow diffs and chronic understeer.

The Lexus is actually used on the South French coast, so studs are a bit overkill, but they were the cheapest wintertyres I could get my hands on and I've had a few people with quattros etc scratching their head why they couldn't follow an old RWD Lexus on an icey Alpine road. :D

No, but I'm off to Sweden next month so maybe I should take the Scoob lol!! ;) Surely you need to develop your Scandinavian flick with any Scoob :D they do like to understeer!!

I'd love to see the faces of people watching the Lexus lol!!