Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Further Windscreen Woes

kev dood

As per many others on here, I have had the usual issues following a windscreen replacement by Autoglass a few years back. I initially just had the front headlights coming on (due to water leaking down into the main relay control board) but a few years later, this then got worse when the alarm/locking started to play up then the gauges and dash electronics also.

So, after speaking to Lexus Reading when I picked my car up for a service, I called Autoglass head office mentioning the issue and saying I wanted the screen changed for a Lexus OE one. CHeaper to do this then for me to get them to pay for Lexus to fault find and the replace the electronics should it all go wrong!

After a few weeks, I managed to get the screen changed for a Lexus one (apparently! though it doesn't look the same as my orig 2001 screen - guess Lexus changed it slightly).

I am hoping this has now cured my woes, but for anyone else, its definately worth following this up and getting yours changed, otherwise you could be in for a massive bill!

My dad had his windscreen on his 06 IS250 changed by autoglass (i think) last year from insurance due to a 'slight' crack that would fail MOT not sure if pilkington or original lexus, just wonder if i should look into whether its a OEM lexus one, far as we know been no problems or leaks or any noise saying if there was problems due to bad design by pilkington should we ask autoglass to sort it out. My old car a 2003 corolla t-sport glass was by pilkington i think there OEM suppliers to the corolla and certain vehicles seeing some other corollas where too, not had any problems during the 3 year owning that car though.

Pilkington ones say it on the bottom edge on drivers side I think. OE ones don't have anything on that I could find.

Just heard a lot about there being a design fault on the Pilkington ones where the heater element cable comes off meaning you can never get a good seal. Dunno if they have rectified it, but as I had issues with mine, I guessed mine wasn't one of those and therefore wanted it changed.

Autoglass seemed quite good about it though. They said if any of the electronics got fried they would pay to get it fixed, but my point was, I could take it to Lexus and get them to fault find etc and knowing my luck Autoglass would contend it when faced with a massive repair bill and then I would get lumbered. Guy understood my postion. I think they are well aware of this issue to thought better err on the side of caution.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links