Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where To Buy Dot 3 Brake Fluid?

daxilic

Tommorrow I'm going to replace one of the front calipers and need to get more brake fluid to top it off after bleeding. I've never brought brake fluid before so I read in the handbook it says to get No. 116 SAEJ1703 DOT 3 FMVSS. I went to a few places around including Halfords and it seems DOT 3 isn't available anymore as DOT 4 is much better, so where can I get some? or can I just top it off with DOT 4?

Also a few months ago I got the other front caliper changed - a garage did it that time and charged me a fortune (hense why doing this one myself), maybe they bled the whole system and replaced the old fluid with DOT 4, is there a way to find out if its DOT 4 in the reservoir?

Thanks in advance :)

Also a few months ago I got the other front caliper changed - a garage did it that time and charged me a fortune (hense why doing this one myself), maybe they bled the whole system and replaced the old fluid with DOT 4, is there a way to find out if its DOT 4 in the reservoir?

Thanks in advance :)

Why not go back to the garage that did it and ask them......I'm sure they will know what they use!

You can safely use DOT4 instead as this is what replaced DOT3. Think of it as an improved formula with a higher boiling point.

So it's OK to mix them?

Why not go back to the garage that did it and ask them......I'm sure they will know what they use!

I suppose I could although it was back in October, not sure they would remember lol

As a mechanic of over 20 years i can saftley say use dot 4 in your car and dont worry about it. Dot 3 and Dot 4 will mix without a problem. I am also pretty sure that the garage would have used dot 4 when they changed your last caliper. I personally dont remember the last time i saw dot 3 fluid. I restore old cars, morris minors, vw beetles all pre dot 4 fluid. they all would have been on dot 3 fromt he factory. they all use dot 4 now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links