Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Proper Tyre Sizes For Is200 For 17 Inch Rims

verusaab

well a 1245 width tyre sounds like something you'd find on a drag strip to me...but lets just say he was given a 245 wide tyre. then yes that would also be wrong if its the standard 17" 5 spoke wheels your talking about.

1. the standard width for those rims is 215mm, so they are too wide.

2. the number 50 on the tyre means that the wall height is 50% of the width. which puts them well over the normal rolling radius, and may cause rubbing issues over bumps etc.

standard tyre (45% of 215mm = 96.75mm)

your pals tyre (50% of 245mm = 122.5mm)

STANDARD tyre set up is... 215/45/17

as far as i know what i said there is correct based on what you said and my own knowledge, but im sure if anything is amiss someone will correct me shortly. :)

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the input.. sorry meant 245. He was told by lexus !! That what he had was incorrect which was the original setup with 215's they said the rear need to wider etc etc. So is that 215's all round? The fact hes ended up with a 50 profile was down to a mickey mouse back street garage.

Also would it be possible to have 2454517 on rear and 2254017 front? On the standard rims

Cheers

vb

it depends on what wheels he has on the back, because the is200 came with 7 inch wide rims fitted front AND rear. however i believe the is300 came with slightly wider rims, either 8 or 8.5 inch wide i think. some of which have found they're way onto the odd is200. so if either of those options apply to his car its possible they are the correct tyre for the rear.

ive heard of people stretching small tyres onto big rims to increase sidewall strength. but i dont know about doing it the other way round.

if they are proper lexus rims they will have the width stamped into the inside face of one of the spokes. you'll need to take them off to see it though.

You could fit a 225 40 17 to the standared 17 rims but it is 2.2% smaller than the standred size which is acceptable, however i think the point being made is that lower profiles than standered on 17 rims just look to small. If you want to run a lower profile you are better off uping the rim size to 18

My is 300 has 18 inch wheels from an RX300 with 225 35 18 tyres, these are 1.8% smaller than standared.

14122010090.jpg

Regards

Russell.

yeh I meant that, lol,

I have 225/40/18's and the speedo reading is generally closer to my gps reading, and those speed signs that light up when you drive past them, than when I had the 'correct' tyres on 17's...

• 2 weeks later...

300 is same as 200 for standard 17's

225/40/17 is too small, and probably looks silly too as 17's don't fill the arches anyway imo

no no.....the is300 and is300 sportcross are fitted with 7" wide front and 7.5 rear

Hi, thanks for the input.. sorry meant 245. He was told by lexus !! That what he had was incorrect which was the original setup with 215's they said the rear need to wider etc etc. So is that 215's all round? The fact hes ended up with a 50 profile was down to a mickey mouse back street garage.

Also would it be possible to have 2454517 on rear and 2254017 front? On the standard rims

Cheers

vb

no no no no no no no........... 245 is far too wide you will end up with a lot of side wall fold in corners...its simple if you want to run silly wide tyres(for no reason)you will need new wider wheels.....

i run 215's i also run a charged lex and the car only steps out when i want it too their for i will not go wider as theirs no need i also do drive my car hard!!also 245's will be worse in the rain and snow..

also your profiles are all wrong too

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links