Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Tyre Choice

Hi

I have always used Dunlop SP Sport 9000 on my vechicle which were manufactured in Japan, but they are no longer available. I would like to know what everyone else are now using.

I have spoken to Dunlop technical and they have suggested the Dunlop Sport 3000A as this is matched with the Toyota Avensis chassis which is similar to the IS200 chassis. Has anyone tried this tyre?

I also mentioned that my tyres always wear on the inside and they said this is normal as many cars now have been set up to provide better cornering which results in inner tyre wear. They did get very technical about it but in brief thats it folks.

I did ask about the Dunlop SP Sport Max TT, but he said the Sport 3000A would be better.

I was thinking about possibly using a different make like Toyo, or Bridgestone, but not sure about type noise?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I have always used Dunlop SP Sport 9000 on my vechicle which were manufactured in Japan, but they are no longer available. I would like to know what everyone else are now using.

I have spoken to Dunlop technical and they have suggested the Dunlop Sport 3000A as this is matched with the Toyota Avensis chassis which is similar to the IS200 chassis. Has anyone tried this tyre?

I also mentioned that my tyres always wear on the inside and they said this is normal as many cars now have been set up to provide better cornering which results in inner tyre wear. They did get very technical about it but in brief thats it folks.

I did ask about the Dunlop SP Sport Max TT, but he said the Sport 3000A would be better.

I was thinking about possibly using a different make like Toyo, or Bridgestone, but not sure about type noise?

Any help would be appreciated.

hi,wouldnt go for the toyos,good grip due to softer compound but wear too quick,got bridgestones on front(a bit of road noise though) and goodyear f1 asy on the rear(cant fault them,just got them and definitely a lot better than the Falkens ze912's(think they are crap) I had on prior.

I had Dunlop's on mine when I bought it, but I couldn't get any to replace them when the time came so I'm now running on Bridgestone Potenza's. Not the cheapest, but you get plenty miles out of them and I think they were original equipment along with the Dunlops when these cars were new.

I also mentioned that my tyres always wear on the inside and they said this is normal as many cars now have been set up to provide better cornering which results in inner tyre wear.

Can't help you with tyre choice but the above statement is incorrect.

Many IS200/300 owners have had the same problem as you, the calibration figures used by Lexus for setting up the steering geometry are basically wrong. The correct settings are available from WIM. It's a long way from Plymouth but WIM do have authorised centres so there might be one near you. Had mine done at WIM a couple of years ago and since then the front tyres are wearing at the same rate across the tread.

+1 for the Uniroyal rainsport obviously they are awesome in the wet, but they are also awesome in dry weather. I had them on my last car and I'll be putting them on my current car once my Bridgestones are dead. Gotta say though I really don't rate the Bridgestones and the sooner they are dead the better. Very expensive and not very good is what I think of them, I've had much cheaper tyres which had much better grip in all weather and less road noise too, not a fan at all.

'they said this is normal as many cars now have been set up to provide better cornering which results in inner tyre wear'.

As one of the above posters has already said..... You would be wise to speak to Tony Bones at WIM, the above statement I am sure will make him chuckle.

I also had mine tracked at WIM a couple of years ago and it made one hell of a differenc to the handling and it eliminated the inner tyre wear.

I also mentioned that my tyres always wear on the inside and they said this is normal as many cars now have been set up to provide better cornering which results in inner tyre wear.

Can't help you with tyre choice but the above statement is incorrect.

Many IS200/300 owners have had the same problem as you, the calibration figures used by Lexus for setting up the steering geometry are basically wrong. The correct settings are available from WIM. It's a long way from Plymouth but WIM do have authorised centres so there might be one near you. Had mine done at WIM a couple of years ago and since then the front tyres are wearing at the same rate across the tread.

Hi Thanks for you very interesting information. I notice on the WIM web site there is a frachise in Plymouth so I will be talking to them about the set up. All I need to do now is decide on the choice of tyre. Nigel

Choice of tyre is personal and is dependant on your driving style. I have a mate who drives like miss daisy, but got 40,000 miles out a set of Falken Ze912's. But if you are going to get the WIM settings done (and I cant recommend it enough), get the new tyres put on 24 hours before you get the WIM done.

I had the same issue. I really liked the SP9000 Sport L versions. Lasted well. After much research I went for the Dunlop Maxx TT and they are excellent. Well worth a try.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links