Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 Lexus Gs300 Sports (Automatic)

Hi everyone, its me again with yet another quirky fault on the recently purchased Lexus GS300 Sports; When delivered on Christmas Eve there was condensation on all the interior glass which we thought nothing of, putting this down to the valet it had undergone prior to delivery. 3+ weeks later we still have the condensation and logic dictates this can only happen for two reasons, the first being that the inside of the car is still damp (which it is not!) or, for some strange reason (hence this post) that when the fan is switched on the air being brought into the car is damp subsequently causing the condensation.

Has anyone come across this before?

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what may be causing this?

Many thanks once again.

Regards

Steve

:angry:

Hi Steve, Would suggest there's definately damp in the car somewhere. Have you checked the boot....i know when i leave my wet golf stuff in the boot the windows are all misted up the following morning? Also be worth ventilating the car. On a nice day with the sun out drive with windows open or when parked up leave windows and boot open for a few hours (if thats possible security wise).

Guardy

Hi Steve, Would suggest there's definately damp in the car somewhere. Have you checked the boot....i know when i leave my wet golf stuff in the boot the windows are all misted up the following morning? Also be worth ventilating the car. On a nice day with the sun out drive with windows open or when parked up leave windows and boot open for a few hours (if thats possible security wise).

Guardy

Thanks Guardy,

I hear what you are saying and it is totally logical but I am totally confident that the whole inside of the car, including the boot area is bone dry, this said I am prepared to do anything now so thanks for your suggestions.....all I need now is one of those rare nice days when the sun actually does shine!!

definately sounds like moisture is coming in somewhere. Might be worth checking down the sides of the boot where the sunroof drain pipes pass through the plastic vents (the vents go through the body panels but behind the bumper, so only visible from inside the boot). The pipe(s) can come adrift and the water could end up not draining through the vents. Is the aircon working ok?

definately sounds like moisture is coming in somewhere. Might be worth checking down the sides of the boot where the sunroof drain pipes pass through the plastic vents (the vents go through the body panels but behind the bumper, so only visible from inside the boot). The pipe(s) can come adrift and the water could end up not draining through the vents. Is the aircon working ok?

Once again many thanks for your reply Tigerfish, this is definitely worth checking out so very many thanks.

Yes, aircon is working fine

General not GS specific. Drive it with the air-con on for a few days ( regardless of temperature inside / outside ) make sure air circulation is set to allow air in from the outside.

Many thanks Steve, given the circumstances what you suggest is definitely worth a go.

Cheers

Agree with Steve, leave the Air con on all the time, I just set the temperature I want and leave it, I have had a few different makes of cars but for some reason the Lexus mists up more than any other, the only other thing I can think of is that there seems to be a lot of filters in these cars for this that and the other, but not sure if there one for the air con or if that would even make any difference.

Good luck and let us no if you find any cure

Agree with Steve, leave the Air con on all the time, I just set the temperature I want and leave it, I have had a few different makes of cars but for some reason the Lexus mists up more than any other, the only other thing I can think of is that there seems to be a lot of filters in these cars for this that and the other, but not sure if there one for the air con or if that would even make any difference.

Thanks Wendle, yes, agree about the filters and certainly worthy of further investigation.

For definite when (and I will!) source and finally fix this irritating problem I will be sure to let you know the findings.

Regards

Steve

Can't remember where the filter was on the old GS 300. GS 430 is behind a flap in rear of glovebox so might be worth a look there.

Can't remember where the filter was on the old GS 300. GS 430 is behind a flap in rear of glovebox so might be worth a look there.

from what I remember, on the mk1, you drop the bottom cover under the dash on the passenger side, and undo a wing nut and the cover and filter come out the bottom. Mine had the cover in place, but never actually had a filter in it.

Hi Steve

I have a MkII and the same thing happens occasionally to mine. I too can confirm that there are no leaks or damp in the interior, it clears when the aircon has been running for a while. Happened on other cars I've had with aircon and I keep mine on all the time. Filters might be a cause! not sure.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

from what I remember, on the mk1, you drop the bottom cover under the dash on the passenger side, and undo a wing nut and the cover and filter come out the bottom. Mine had the cover in place, but never actually had a filter in it.

My mk1 also does not have the filter.

Hope your problem is not as severe as mine.

Many years back, bodywork repair had to be done after an accident. After many years noticed a lot of condensation.

Only after removing CD changer and amplifier (after stereo went dead and was trying to discover why) found that the amp was under water! Very difficult to see when both are in place.

Still today I have not been able to trace why water is collecting in this well. This after having rear window taken out and re-installed, re-sealing tail lights - and many more.

Until summer comes, the only way that I have found a solution is to take the overflow tube from the sunroof out of the drain hole, so that water runs out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links