Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 1 year later...

Apologies for digging up an old thread - I see a lot about this issues online but, as a new owner, have a few queries that I've not seen answered really on here or anywhere else;

1 - Have Lexus ever announced anything official about the fault and the extended warranty? I've seen it mentioned everywhere but nothing officially.

2 - Is the extended warranty the first you reach out of 7 years / 110k miles or the second? Ie, my car is 5 years old with 46k miles on the clock. I won't reach 110k miles probably ever but will the warranty expire in 2 years regardless?

3 - Given the age and mileage of the car, when can I expect this issue to happen? Is it predictable or random?

4 - What is the likeliness of it happen? I doubt people would come online to say 'all is well' so imagine the horror stories clogging up the web are somewhat biased

5 - Most importantly, can anything be done to prevent this happening?

Apologies for digging up an old thread - I see a lot about this issues online but, as a new owner, have a few queries that I've not seen answered really on here or anywhere else;

1 - Have Lexus ever announced anything official about the fault and the extended warranty? I've seen it mentioned everywhere but nothing officially.

2 - Is the extended warranty the first you reach out of 7 years / 110k miles or the second? Ie, my car is 5 years old with 46k miles on the clock. I won't reach 110k miles probably ever but will the warranty expire in 2 years regardless?

3 - Given the age and mileage of the car, when can I expect this issue to happen? Is it predictable or random?

4 - What is the likeliness of it happen? I doubt people would come online to say 'all is well' so imagine the horror stories clogging up the web are somewhat biased

5 - Most importantly, can anything be done to prevent this happening?

1. Lexus have never announced anything officially - but the head tech who replaced my engine said "7yrs 112k" - I have heard others say that their dealer has said it has been changed to 5 years - but I was definitely quoted the above a few months ago.

2. 7years/112k whatever comes first

3. How long is a piece of string unfortunately - check your coolant bottle and if you find dried engine coolant around the engine fan area - I'd be calling into your local dealer to get it checked out. This is what I done when they replaced the engine although my car was under lexus warranty.

4. It's a design fault, but impossible to say

5. Preventative measures - not really but use low ash oil and keep the egr clean

• Like 1

Im sure this has been asked before, but I understand the faulty part in itself is quite cheap to replace, but the consequences of it breaking are very expensive. If this is right, why not just replace it now rather than waiting for it all to go wrong?

Im sure this has been asked before, but I understand the faulty part in itself is quite cheap to replace, but the consequences of it breaking are very expensive. If this is right, why not just replace it now rather than waiting for it all to go wrong?

That wouldn't work because if the HG is going the damage has been done - the carbon buildup causes "gasket shuffle" which wrecks the head and block.

get the warranty mate as my head gasket went and lexus told me to do one, 57 plate 78k miles, 1 missing stamp from 8 and Ive had none done yet as it went withing 5 weeks, also the vsc is another problem, cover your back mate asmy head gasket was £1200 from a independent garage, think what lexus would charge????

@bluenose1940 - the warranty does it cover vehicles over 100k miles ? .The price £414 is that from lexus and which lexus dealer ? .My Is 220d has just had a new engine fitted last week and its currently at 90k miles on the clock. With the vsc issues with these cars i too wouldn't mind taking out a warranty, the price you got is worth every penny imho.

Thanks in advance

I just rang my local lexus dealer and price quoted was £795 and £419 which has a limit of £2000 for single repair and according to the chap does not cover everything the £795 policy does. Now i am confused lolol.

I decided to get a quote from warrantywise for £476.37 1 year includes additional option Air Bag System, Emissions Failure (Cat, Dpf failure etc..), garage labour rate £100inc vat, Single repair limit £5000 or if i go for 2 years cover £870.46 spread over 4 months and is transferable to new private owner at a cost £35 for admin fee.

What you guys think? just need to be carefull what i pay for and what is covered as all these warranties have small prints.

With WD etc, you must ask if your are covered in the event of a seal failing. Most will not! A failing seal can dry your sump out, or cause Turbo failure, etc. If the seal isn't covered, then you won't get anything.

The manufacturer ones do cover you for seals (as far as I am aware), but they charge for you for it through a massive premium. They may have changed now - so do ask the question.

Thanks Silver Arrow.

I'm more clear now what type of cover is required. I did ask WD if failing seal is included and they stated it is and that wear & tear is also covered. The only thing i don't like about this cover is that i have to pay 50% towards cost of parts.

I also rang around couple of lexus dealers and found that they do two types of warranty. The first warranty @ £795 covers mostly everything and has no limit on single item claim.

The 2nd warranty what they class as 5 year plus or LexusCare which is cost £414 but this one covers less parts and its parts Warranty limited to £2,000.

I also had a call earlier from warranty wise who offered me 15% discount on the original price quoted so that brings price down to £370 but will call later and ask about failing seal if that is covered.

• 7 months later...

hi, im getting really high pressure on my radiator pipes, and after about 20min of motorway driving the temp goes mental, so I thought It was the water pump or thermostat, so changed both, but theres still bubbles when I have the engine on and the top pipes solid like metal, and the bottom pipe is not hot like the top. Im assuming theres too much pressure and its not allowing any water through so my mechanic said its probably a head gasket, now I have approx 122700 on the clock, I see this is a common fault and people have been getting it done on gratis?, As Ive just recently bought it and its been looked after by Lexus in Bury, so do I have any chance of them sorting it out since a main dealer has been servicing it since it was purchased and tbh im very surprised they didn't pick it up. And what do I say when I go in? As they must be trained to counteract everything you say.

Also I have rust forming underneath the paint on the bonnet and its bubbling, I have a naggling feeling that that is covered by the 12 year warranty am I correct?

Any thing would be great as im feeling really really sick at the moment,

Thanks

Hi, Im getting really high pressure on my top radiator pipes, and after about 20min of motorway driving the temp goes mantal, So I thought it could be the water pump or thermostat, so I got them changed but still the same thing, when I have the lid off there is a small amount of smoke coming out of the rad, and the top pipe gets hot not the bottom, and when I shut the rad the pressure builds and no water cant get round as the bottom pipe is still cold. my mechanic said it sounds like its the head gasket, now I have 122700 on my clock, but I see that this a common fault and people have been having the dealers do it for free, its been looked after by lexus all its life in Lexus in Bury, so does anyone think I have a chance of them sorting it out, since they have been dealing with it all the time, they would have seen something like this happening, What do I say when I go in, as im rubbish at this type of stuff,

Also I have rust forming under the aint of my bonnet, and If im not mistaken that's covered by the 12 yr warrenty?

Thanks

Luke

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Got an IS22d 2007, 84k miles - head gasket blown. Our local Lexus are refusing to acknowledge that there is a known fault, and want us to foot the bill - £3k! Any help with links to prove they know it is a fault, and have covered the cost for other owners would be really helpful. 

Thank you, I wish we could say something positive about their after care team but they are not currently being that helpful!

Welcome MadCar.

Lexus did acknowledge that there was a design fault, and extended the warranty on the engine.  Unfortunately, the extension only covers the engine to 7 years or 110k miles.

However, it might be worth taking up the case with Lexus UK directly.  There are plenty of examples of people getting the work done free on this forum, albeit quite some time ago.  (If you do a search on Google for Lexus is220d head gasket, this forum comes up first in the results).

Still, you have nothing to lose by trying.

I am surprised you have had this problem though; It has been a while since we had one on here, so it seems that most of the effected engines have been replaced by now.

If Lexus still refuse to play ball, then it is probably worth finding a local garage that can do the work, since it would most likely be much cheaper.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thank you, we'll keep trying - at least the 7 years or 110k makes sense, but the local Lexus just flatly denied it was ever a problem or they had ever fixed it for 'free' at any Lexus in the UK.

Hopefully we can find a solution!

On 12/03/2017 at 4:51 PM, MadCar said:

Hi,

Thank you, we'll keep trying - at least the 7 years or 110k makes sense, but the local Lexus just flatly denied it was ever a problem or they had ever fixed it for 'free' at any Lexus in the UK.

Hopefully we can find a solution!

Hi Mad Car, 

I  had a issue with my engine temp rising back in July 2016, every time I would make a short journey on the motorway it was shoot up. Luckily I had checked out problems on the IS220Ds and one of them being the head gasket. I took out the warranty for 2 years or up to 120K for £700, I wasn't able to make a claim for 3 months unless it was for a breakdown.

Waited for 3 months and took the car in to Lexus and that same day they told me the car needs a new Engine and the warranty company have not approved the work on the car as the service history is missing a few stamps. So I took this further and emailed Lexus HQ, they responded back with "We have provided our final response in that the terms and conditions of the warranty policy have not been adhered to and therefore the claim has been denied."

Now HQ have denied my claim I had no idea what to do! Then I was advised to emailed the regional director of the issue and see if that would help. I then googled regional director North West Lexus, but I had no luck. While scrolling down I seen a website called Customercare.org who contact the best person in regards to a complaint. So tried my luck sent a lengthy email to them, however I got no response back. A week went by and I started to speak to a few independent garages for a quote looking at nearly £1000 just to get the head gasket sorted and that didn't include any other issues which might come out from this. 

Randomly a few days later I got a phone call from my local Lexus dealer telling me that the warranty company have now approved the work for my car and booked me in for the following Monday.

Week and a half later new engine rebuilt and no temperature issue or cold air from the heating. However I now have white clouds of smoke coming out the back of the exhaust which now my car has been booked in to get it checked it. but car drives currently with no issue.

Hope this helps!

Glad you got yours sorted in the end Azza.

This is really frustrating because it has been stated in the past in no uncertain terms that previous service history is irrelevant to the warranty, and the only requirement is that it is serviced by a main dealer during the warranty period.  So many people are getting conflicting information during claims these days.

Although it sounds - in your case at least - like someone came to their senses and realised they made a mistake denying the claim.

Did you car go through a visual safety check prior to the warranty being offered?  I ask because it sounds like your head gasket was at least partially failed before the warranty started?

• 3 weeks later...

Nope didnt do no checks just took my money. And then 3 months I wasn't allowed to claim and soon as that time was up I made the claim.

To be honest Its just a problem after another and its not worth the hassle. I will be getting rid of it soon. 

They have took it back in again to sort out the smoke issue. Currently they are going to "remap the ECU" and see if that makes a difference. We shall see.