Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H : Rolls Forward When Attempting To Reverse.

Hi Guys.

Does anyone else have this "feature", or do I have a problem.

I have to park on a slight incline, which I normally reverse out of.

With my RX400h, when I engage reverse, it tends to roll forward.

Now I know there is some play in the gearbox, but I measured it in one case, and It rolled forward 4 Feet, before I had to brake to avoid going through my kitchen window.

I know it has a weird/wonderful CVT gearbox, but I thought automatics tended to avoid roll forward (or backward for that matter).

Thanks in advance.

• 6 years later...

I'm afraid I can't help you there really. If I stop on a hill for traffic lights for example, the car rolls back slightly after you take your foot off the brake before the drive picks up. I know with the RX 450 there's a hill stop facility where if you are waiting at the traffic lights , if you press down the brake pedal further it won't roll back until you press accelerator. This is even better in the 2016 RX when I tried one for a loan car sometime ago, it just holds on the hill but that's not the case with the 400

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't say I ever really noticed this in reverse, like Ja I notice it rolling back when trying to go forwards on an incline, but it sounds normal. There isn't a hill assist function on the 400h and it also doesn't increase power to the motor if it starts to roll the wrong way so the steeper the incline the worse it will be.

• Like 1

Experience with my 400h on the flat the creep function is obvious, take your foot off the brakes and you instantly start to move forwards. On a slight incline it will hold though without throttle but rolls back on anything significant but doesn't run away. In the time it takes to move your foot from brake to accelerator it rolls back an inch or two if that. Reverse is the same also.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, ISJason said:

I'm afraid I can't help you there really. If I stop on a hill for traffic lights for example, the car rolls back slightly after you take your foot off the brake before the drive picks up. I know with the RX 450 there's a hill stop facility where if you are waiting at the traffic lights , if you press down the brake pedal further it won't roll back until you press accelerator. This is even better in the 2016 RX when I tried one for a loan car sometime ago, it just holds on the hill but that's not the case with the 40

There is no hill stop / hold facility on the 400h, nor on the 450h... at least not on the pre-2012 facelift model.

5 hours ago, DanD said:

There is no hill stop / hold facility on the 400h, nor on the 450h... at least not on the pre-2012 facelift model.

Not true.

All RX450Hs have hill hold. You nee to press the brake down all the way. It'll beep and then hold for 2 seconds or so.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, rayaans said:

Not true.

All RX450Hs have hill hold. You nee to press the brake down all the way. It'll beep and then hold for 2 seconds or so.

I dispute this. Mine certainly does not have it. It is a 2009 (59) SE-i model. As I said, I believe this functionality was introduced with the 2012 facelift.

If another, pre-facelift owner knows for a fact that their car indeed has the hill hold, speak now, and I'll run to the dealer to get mine fixed! :-)

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I dispute this. Mine certainly does not have it. It is a 2009 (59) SE-i model. As I said, I believe this functionality was introduced with the 2012 facelift.

If another, pre-facelift owner knows for a fact that their car indeed has the hill hold, speak now, and I'll run to the dealer to get mine fixed! :-)

Nope certainly there even in the brochure.  There were no mechanical changes to the RX in 2012. 

It's a bit hard to get on but you have to completely floor the brake and the slip indicator will flash and there'll be a beep

How steep an incline are we talking? I find mine seems to hold fine on most hills but maybe I've not been on one steep enough to require this additional break force. I'm eager to try it next time I'm out now. Lol

carl

hmmm... very odd. Do you have to be on a steep incline for it to work?

I can't get it to work for me... could it be that the incline I have tested this on is not steep enough?

8 hours ago, DanD said:

I can't get it to work for me... could it be that the incline I have tested this on is not steep enough?

I tested it on what I think is a 20 degree angle! 

10 hours ago, DanD said:

the manual system on the RX, where the driver has to press down on the brake pedal to initiate the feature, doesn't take into account the incline at all.

I think I will have to ask the dealer next time I go there. I tested it on a steep incline this morning and applied different levels of pressure on the brake pedal... but no beep... and no hold.

I can concur this works on my 59 plate RX.

tried it this morning on a level bit of road. Once stoped, give the break peddle a hard push to the floor and you hear a bleep and the traction light flashes. As mentioned, you have 2 seconds to move your foot from the brake peddle to gas whilst it auto brakes for you.

carl