Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D, What Engine Oil Do You Recommend

Hi Shazy,

I changed the oil and filter on my 220 SE two weeks ago with Castrol Magnatec 5w 30 A1 fully synthetic.

There was a 20% promotion at the local Halfrauds and got 2 x 4 litres for 70 euro plus an oil filter for 6,5 euro plus 15 euro for the labour at the garage.

I didn't go for the more expensive Magnatec Edge which has the same specification cause I couldn't find any difference when using it for years on my other car.

A very good oil in my opinion is Comma Motorsport 5w50 fully synthetic, you have the 5w for the cold starts in the mornings plus the 50 figure which helps when the car is spirited driven at 4 - 5k rpm. In my opinion it's the best combination but as it is my first oil change on this car I decided to follow the manufacturer's specifications.

Rgds

George

Only fully synthetic if you don't want to ruin the turbocharger. Also I wouldn't recommend 5W50 for turbocharged engines. Turbocharged vehicles must use narrow miltiviscosity range (0W20, 5W30 and etc.)

I had to ask Lexus to use fully sythentic last time in the service as all the Lexus garages I spoke to said they used semi.

They use semi on the petrol engines, not on the turbo diesel ones - at least here in Bulgaria they do (and I think this is the right approach). If they did put semi on your 220d you should complain about it. They can easily ****** up your engine.

I don't know about you guys but I will never put semi synthetic on a modern turbocharged engine. I even drive my 1995 Lada Samara with 10W60 full synthetic oil.

Here is a scanned page regarding the turbo bearing lubrication from Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

post-35701-0-41303700-1297023325.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I will never put semi synthetic on a modern turbocharged engine. I even drive my 1995 Lada Samara with 10W60 full synthetic oil.

Here is a scanned page regarding the turbo bearing lubrication from Maximum Boost by Corky Bell

Well luckily I have a Lexus warranty as they are using semi at my next service. Last time it cost me an extra 40 quid for Mobil 1. This time they can do what they recommend (semi)... only paying 105 for the interim 10k service.

• 2 weeks later...
Only fully synthetic if you don't want to ruin the turbocharger. Also I wouldn't recommend 5W50 for turbocharged engines. Turbocharged vehicles must use narrow miltiviscosity range (0W20, 5W30 and etc.)

Lots of turbo cars use and are recommended to use, 50 grade oil - namely high HP ones like Nissan Skylines, Mitsubishi Evos, and Subaru STis.

M Series BMs are another, but that's due to an engine design flaw which the thicker 50 grade oil "cures".Thicker oil means higher threshold at high temperature to shearing, preventing metal-metal contact.And with winter like we've seen these past couple of years, either side of Christmas, owners in some parts of the country would be well to change to 0w-20/30.Checking the pour point of the oil thinking of being used, would be useful as that'll give an indication of how thick it becomes when temps plummet to almost -20ºC.You being from Bulgaria, should know only too well what winter weather is like, as I remember on a school Xmas skiing holiday, when I was 14 or 15, I think.

As for your chosen oil - Motul is definitely the one I'd choose too, since I've used Castrol Edge, Liqui Moly, and 2 Motuls now, in the Honda Accord.As the 220d has a DPF fitted, then Low SAPS is the best option, but unfortunately the HTHS (shear) number isn't as good as the Ester-based Maxx - but with a diesel engine, there's maybe no real need for high HTHS numbers due to the pistons moving slower than in high revving petrol ones, like the Honda.

Well luckily I have a Lexus warranty as they are using semi at my next service. Last time it cost me an extra 40 quid for Mobil 1. This time they can do what they recommend (semi)... only paying 105 for the interim 10k service.

Bear in mind Mobil 1 oil isn't the same all over the planet, it can and does vary depending on country it's distributed in.Equally, oil manufacturers can legally call an oil synthetic when it's hydrocracked mineral oil.A true proper synthetic oil is just that, with the best ones being Ester based or POA.So be careful about bandying the word "synthetic" about, since it can mean quite different things.

Guys, like Denis was saying. Do not confuse petrol with diesel engine. You cannot compare Skylines, Evos and STIs with 220 diesel. On my side i will always go for what manufacturer recommend and i had many cars driven over 200000km without any engine or turbo problems. Anyway, the oil i trust the most is Castrol, not Mobil, not Aral. Liqui Molly is getting better and better lately, but again, if i get this oil here in Romania it has nothing to do with same oil same type in Germany. Totally different quality.