Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Reversing Lights (Or Lack Of !) Lexus Email.

Colin I think the point of this post was of confusion, its a very strange thing for such a fantastic car in so many ways could be let down by such poor lighting when reversing ? It would be like buying a Maserati that slows down when you put it in top gear ? Its not what you expect.And as for people saying they are not there to let you see where you are going ? Well in my book that's just daft you cant reverse if you cant see can you.

I agree with previous comments about inadequate rear view when reversing RX400h at night.- The argument about the lights being there to warn other road users is immaterial. The fact is, that there is a rear facing screen in the central console that activates when reverse is selected. That is where the problem lies because the picture on the central console at night is useless as an aid to seeing where you are in relation to obstacles at the rear of the car.

It is slghtly better if you have brake lights on as well as another user stated - almost usable. Not good enough for Lexus to say that the lights are there to warn others - Its the view from the camera/screen that is the issue and H+S legislation requires that if the equipment is fitted, it must be fit for purpose when operated and it clearly isn't at night.

Just by way of contrast and as an aid to the debate, I had a Honda CR-V courtesy car borrowed from my garage last week and it has a PERFECT rear view camera and screen that works very well at night and that car is £30k cheaper!

I was wondering if anyone had up rated the rear reversing light bulbs?

I think you guys are still missing the point here? A car of this caliber should have better reversing lights , my eye sight is perfect yet I cant see bugger all when reversing in my dark drive way ?

Goodness gracious chaps ... all those whinging and whining should get over it ... They are what they are .....

I have a 2009 RX400h but living in Suffolk where the street lights, if they have any, are still gas, I have to admit the lights are not fantastic but adequate ..... So is the camera. I just borrowed a 2013 IS whilst my inverter was changed and to be honest the camera was fantastic compared with the one that I have.

The other car I have has no reversing camera at all and the reversing lights are even dimmer than the Lexus ....... I am not however going to bitch about it on my other car forum ... I would be laughed off.

Solutions for those that need them:

• Change the car
  • Change the lights
  • Put lights in your driveway
  • Get night vision goggles
  • Take the other half with you everywhere you go when it is dark to both hold your hand or guide you backwards .....
  • :tsktsk:
  • :iraqi-info-minister: Sorry !

Wishing all night time drivers the best of fortune .............. Pete

• Like 1

I think you guys are still missing the point here? A car of this caliber should have better reversing lights , my eye sight is perfect yet I cant see bugger all when reversing in my dark drive way ?

have you tried turning on your rear fog lights to give more illumination? Obviously turn them off again once you get out of your driveway.

• Like 1

I can hardly believe what I have read in most of the posts. Of course reversing lights should illuminate the road behind the car and, in my experience with a variety of cars over the past 40 years or so they usually do.

Anyone who thinks its safe to reverse "blind" shouldn't be diving at all - at least not in reverse!

By the way on my RX350 the side mirrors only "dip" when you select R if the switch for adjusting them is set to R or L. If its in the neutral position (which i have always used on other cars to avoid accidentally changing the setting) they don't dip down (or very little anyway). I discovered this by accident. I don't think its in the handbook.

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long AND that I am making it worse by replying! :devil:

I have never had a car where the reversing lights have made any difference - in fact, the RX is the first car I've had where I can actually tell they are on because of the camera.

Until now, I never even considered the 'problem' of reversing in the dark, although, because of this thread, I keep thinking about it every time I reverse now :megaangry: .

BTW, there is no legal requirement to even have a reversing light and they're not even checked on MOTs.

I agree with NELMO, and I too am adding fuel to the fire ....... Having tried to bring a little humour to the party in an earlier post, it seems that reversing lights are a bone that needs shaking a bit more .

So, I looked at the "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations" on the UK GOV web site and it says in respect or reversing lights ......

(Regulation 20)

SCHEDULE 14requirements relating to optional reversing lamps

1. Number:

Not more than two

2. Position:

No requirement

3. Angles of visibility:

No requirement

4. Alignment:

To the rear

5. Markings–

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:

An approval mark

(b) A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985:

No requirement

6. Size of illuminated area:

No requirement

7. Colour:

White

8. Wattage–

(a) A reversing lamp bearing an approval mark:

No requirement

(b) A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:

The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts

9. Intensity:

No requirement

10. Electrical connections:

No requirement

11. Tell-tale–

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954, provided that the electrical connections are such that the reversing lamp or lamps cannot be illuminated other than automatically by the selection of the reverse gear of the vehicle:

No requirement

(b) Any other motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954:

A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted

© A motor vehicle first used before 1st July 1954:

No requirement

(d) Any vehicle which is not a motor vehicle:

No requirement

So it is apparent from this and other regs, you can have one or two lights, or even none. It or they do not have to illuminate anything except your desire to have really bright lights on your car. .... Whilst there may be a desire to have great lights on the back of a Lexus, there is no legal requirement For Lexus to fit bright lights.

Cheers chaps ...... Happy motoring, although I may have to stop going out at night as it is too stressful .......... :driving::cat:

• Like 1

The point of Topdown's post escapes me.

Having other things to do which are more amusing I have not checked the relevant legislation but I suspect that it will not be found that cars are required to have wheels or seats (as opposed to regulations as to the construction etc of wheels or seats if they are fitted)

The burden of several (rather more sensible) posts is that if such lights are fitted it is reasonable to expect them to provide as much utility to the driver as possible (or allowed by legislation). Since there is not limit on brightness in the quoted regulation there is not reason to limit this to the extent that one cannot see where one is going in reverse.

If one extended this argument to driving forwards would the other posters consider it acceptable for the front lights to be simply "sufficient to warn other road users" of your intention to move forwards or indeed your presence rather than an aid to safe driving in the dark.

I hope the moderator will consider it appropriate to close this topic after this post to avoid annoying Mr Roberts with any further pointless posts on the subject..

The point of Topdown's post escapes me.

Having other things to do which are more amusing I have not checked the relevant legislation but I suspect that it will not be found that cars are required to have wheels or seats (as opposed to regulations as to the construction etc of wheels or seats if they are fitted)

The burden of several (rather more sensible) posts is that if such lights are fitted it is reasonable to expect them to provide as much utility to the driver as possible (or allowed by legislation). Since there is not limit on brightness in the quoted regulation there is not reason to limit this to the extent that one cannot see where one is going in reverse.

If one extended this argument to driving forwards would the other posters consider it acceptable for the front lights to be simply "sufficient to warn other road users" of your intention to move forwards or indeed your presence rather than an aid to safe driving in the dark.

I hope the moderator will consider it appropriate to close this topic after this post to avoid annoying Mr Roberts with any further pointless posts on the subject..

I am not entirely sure to which "Mr Roberts" you refer but I have expressed no displeasure at the thread's longevity. I have however been bemused privately by that length and that might support closure simply to save wasted bandwidth on something that has not been going anywhere for quite some posts.

hi i think it is generally agreed by the sensible members that the reversing lights are rubbish

the dissenting members perhaps live in cloud cuckoo land or alice in wonderland land

les spragg

hi i think it is generally agreed by the sensible members that the reversing lights are rubbish

the dissenting members perhaps live in cloud cuckoo land or alice in wonderland land

les spragg

You jump to conclusions and as a new member you might be wise not to.