Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Reversing Lights (Or Lack Of !) Lexus Email.

This thread had made me chuckle a few times so far. Les posts that anyone who doesn't agree with his opinion must live on a another planet, and then retorts back that other people were rude to him in reply ... lol.

It seems that regardless of whether the lights are bright enough or not, there is no legal requirement for them to be there at all. So I'm just wondering what the OP was expecting Lexus to say or do? Fair enough that some other cars/brands have better ones, and that means Lexus should do what? They are not going to do a recall when clearly from this thread there are those that think they are fine and those that think they are not. No idea why that should result in insults, but I guess that is how some deal with differing opinions to their own. They may offer assistance in illuminating the way when reversing, but if they were "meant" to illuminate the way, surely we would all have headlights on the back of our cars, with the appropriate legal operating parameters around them (like headlights do)? As far as those saying they are not there as a warning for others, why do you think they are white and not some independent colour of their own? It is so that you can make the connection between headlights and reversing lights and make an assumption that the vehicle may be moving towards you (rather than red lights that would suggest they are moving away from you). So they do potentially fulfill a dual purpose, "If" you have them and they are working, which they don't have to be, or they are bright enough, which they don't have to be.

• Like 2

This thread had made me chuckle a few times so far. Les posts that anyone who doesn't agree with his opinion must live on a another planet, and then retorts back that other people were rude to him in reply ... lol.

It seems that regardless of whether the lights are bright enough or not, there is no legal requirement for them to be there at all. So I'm just wondering what the OP was expecting Lexus to say or do? Fair enough that some other cars/brands have better ones, and that means Lexus should do what? They are not going to do a recall when clearly from this thread there are those that think they are fine and those that think they are not. No idea why that should result in insults, but I guess that is how some deal with differing opinions to their own. They may offer assistance in illuminating the way when reversing, but if they were "meant" to illuminate the way, surely we would all have headlights on the back of our cars, with the appropriate legal operating parameters around them (like headlights do)? As far as those saying they are not there as a warning for others, why do you think they are white and not some independent colour of their own? It is so that you can make the connection between headlights and reversing lights and make an assumption that the vehicle may be moving towards you (rather than red lights that would suggest they are moving away from you). So they do potentially fulfill a dual purpose, "If" you have them and they are working, which they don't have to be, or they are bright enough, which they don't have to be.

Well written!

• 2 weeks later...

Having just looked at the handbook on my RX350 I se that the reversing lights are fitted with 16W tungsten bulbs so it should be quite feasible to replace these with 21W bulbs while remaining within the Regulations (Max 24W) and providing a bit more light on the subject. I assume the fuses and wiring would support the small extra current drawn by the higher rated bulbs. Access to the bulbs is a bit of a performance as it involves removing both the upper and lower panel on the inside of the tailgate but it won't need to be done more than once.

Good post TigerFish. Thank you.

In fact, I seem to recall that a lot of cars used to have amber coloured reversing lights as opposed to white ones (at least they did on the continent). They were changed to white to help others drivers realise that you were reversing... not to illuminate the road.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Well call me old fashioned, but I have accommodated my lack of illumination by either...

Turning on the rear fogs

Turning on the hazards

Putting one foot on the break pedal

Opening the drivers door

Opening the rear tailgate door

Getting someone to see me back

If I could find some Canbus LED's it would be helpful, but really on such an excellent car, I can live with poor reversing lights...

And yes they have fixed the issue on the new RX 450, which if I had some spare cash, I would upgrade to! For now the bulb upgrade sounds more attainable.

Can Beejay point me to the source of the Canbus LED bulbs for the reversing lights. I found some that might do on a website but the "compatibility check" said they wouldn't and the firm did not reply to my email query. Otherwise I guess its spade end 21W tungsten which should be a bit better.

Thanks for this idea DanD. I found the post but the link to the method didn't work. As the shield directs the light upwards would it not be more effective, if its possible, to turn it through 180 degrees so it directed the light downwards? Would removing the shield plus a 21W bulb do as well or do you think this would melt the bulb mount like the 35W halogen bulb did?

I can't answer that. It seems a good idea in principle, but I have not even tried to remove the shields... only read about it.

The only additional comments I would make are that:

- you must take care that your reversing lights are not too bright as you may blind or distract other drivers (I'm thinking about parallel parking on a busy street for instance)

- I think that the main issue is not so much related to the brightness of the bulbs, but more to the fact that the light clusters in the RX are set unusually high in comparison to other cars, so I am not convinced that changing the bulbs will pay off.

Ah, at last we're getting somewhere. Some useful suggestions.

This is my first post, I was drawn to the web site solely because after 8 years ownership of a succession of Rx models, I am still staggered by how useless the reversing lights are. I was hoping to find some easy mods on here to improve things.

I live in the country, the only light at night is provided by the moon if it's out, my drive is long, edged by trees and has a 90 degree bend on the blind side that has to be negotiated in reverse. I can assure the disbelievers on this forum that it is a very real problem on an otherwise excellent vehicle (hence my loyalty to the product). I use a combination of brake and fog lights to assist, oddly the yellow hazards seem to have no effect, must be something to do with the colour recognition of the camera. I would add that the head in the sand response from Lexus beggars belief.

And before anyone starts name calling again, my credentials are that I am a fleet manager with a wide experience of many car and commercial vehicle types over 30 years, I have driven (and reversed!) everything from cars to 52 tonners across most countries throughout the US, Europe and Asia and in my spare time I race cars and restore classics. Drawing on this experience I can confirm that the reversing light/camera/dark glass combination on the Rx is indeed the most useless I have ever come across, I have a 50 year old Jaguar whose single 21w reversing light is vastly superior.

• Like 1

Further to me previous post on this topic, I think have now solved the problem on my 400h

As other forum members have suggested, you get a massive improvement in rear vision at night on the reversing system screen on the dashboard, if you remove the little shades that cover the bulbs.

To remove the clusters, Just follow the bulb replacement instructions in the manual and that will expose the light clusters.

The light clusters are held in by just 3 Phillips type screws. Undo those and that releases the cluster. Then there is just one small Phillips screw that holds the shade in place. undo the screw, remove the shade and then put it all back together (without the shades) and replace the cluster on the door.

This makes a massive difference and increases what you can see by a huge margin.

However, having borrowed another car with a similar system (Honda CRV) I was aware that the rear view screen could be even better, so I replaced the 16w bulbs with some LEDs that you can get from eBay. The instructions for doing this are in the manual (same as part one of above). if you did both jobs at the same time, you will save a lot of work.

this did not trigger any faults on the bulb sensors on the car and we now have vastly improved and effective rear view vision.

• Like 1

Well Duncan there must be something a bit odd n strange going on in darkest deepest Norfolk as last night I couldnt see jack **** going up my drive lol

Maybe your lights are some how different to mine ? maybe then little " light cover " things or something ?

All im saying is there are people who are dismissing this as not being a problem, and last night I did actually have a problem as in I couldnt see bugger all.

So apart from this how do you find yours ? its the same model as mine.

I have 2006 400h from new. One of the first mods I did was to remove the lttle silver deflectors in the reversing lights. It improved things to a tolerable and manageable level. I live in the countryside and do need to see where I am reversing to. Otherwise I can be easily in a ditch!!! I do find the hazard waning lights help a bit!

The lack of reversing light makes this car dangerous, it also renders the reversing camera useless at night. I can't believe they made a car so good and then screwed up on something so simple.

I agree it is extraordinary. I have a Toyota Vitz (Yaris) in Cyprus and the reversing lights on that are quite adequate to see where you are going in a dark mountain village with no street lighting. The argument that it is not a legal requirement to fit reversing lights seems pretty pathetic to me and I am amazed at Lexus' brass neck in advancing it.

Happily with the benefit of several members experience we now have a fairly simple and cheap method of improving them

They certainly look bright enough but from the photo at night it is not at all clear if they improve the visibility when reversing but I gather from the text that they do. I am sorting out a source for suitable canbus LEDs and will post the details once I have confirmed that they work

Very interesting thread.

I agree that at night the reverse camera is useless.

I would certainly give the LED lamps a go, If anyone has fitted them without any problems can you advise where you got them and what is the product code.

Merry Xmas to all .........

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got round to removing the bulb shields yesterday. It does make a vast improvement although I've yet to try reversing in complete darkness. Once you remove the shields you can see why the lights were so dim, not only does it cover 180degree angle but also most of the top of the bulb (ie the part that faces out towards the rear). Worth doing.

Gareth

Well done!

Yes I did find a big improvement too, but I am still waiting for details of the LED bulbs so I can get a pair!!!

Thanks

Billy

Now I've managed to get the trim off etc.. I would be interested in getting details of the LED lights as well!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links