Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Reversing Lights (Or Lack Of !) Lexus Email.

Just so everyone is aware, UK Vehicle Lighting Regs requires that:

"A lamp used to illuminate the road to the rear of a vehicle for the purpose of reversing and to warn other road users that the vehicle is reversing or about to reverse."

Not what Lexus says. They claim its not intended to illuminate the road but simply to warn others that you are reversing. They also say its not a legal requirement to have them. I responded - Its not a legal requirement to have wheels or an engine either!

It still makes me smile this thread is still going and how some people are lets say ' odd ' in their view, I understand what people say about the lights are there to warn other road users that you are reversing, if thats the case the very people you are trying to ' warn of your intended reverse ' will know you have attempted a ' reverse ' due to the fact your hazard warning lights are now on after you crashed into all manner of stuff due to the fact you cant see s**t behind you !!!!

These lights are there to help you see when going backwards simple as that, I have removed them silly deflectors and replaced the standard bulbs with LED's and now I can !!!!!

Hi Crowtree. I have removed the shields which helped a bit but I can't find any suitable LEDs. I have tried two but they weren't bright enough. I tried to get some 21W filament bulbs but can't find any in the right size. Where did you get your LEDss?

I've only just realised why this is a problem - its because the RX has a reversing camera. This sounds like a 'good thing' and normally the sort of thing you'd actually pay extra for but most cars nowadays have reversing sensors, which means you don't need any light at the back (except for legal reasons of course).

An example of form over function, I guess...

Seriously, if Lexus fitted a decent reversing camera as standard all this would be a moot point, my ML had one I could see fine from in pitch black (the reversing lights were OK'ish) the BMW i3 I have been using recently had a perfect view rearwards using the reversing camera, in fact better than I could see if I were standing behind the car! Must have been using a real nice CMOS trick chip camera, bloomin' sharp in daylight too.

Maybe in the next iteration then?

All the newer Lexus models have a better camera than the one in the RX series II. Given that it was launched in 2003 that probably means the components were selected in 2001 so really the camera wasn't that bad given the technology at the time. Things have moved on

Had no issues with reversing lights or the camera in my 450h.

I refuse to believe that reversing lights are for illumination. What use would illumination be in a vehicle with no reversing camera? It only works in conjuction with a reversing camera and of course, all cars do not have that so how can reverse lights possibly be there "to illuminate the road"?

I refuse to believe that reversing lights are for illumination. What use would illumination be in a vehicle with no reversing camera? It only works in conjuction with a reversing camera and of course, all cars do not have that so how can reverse lights possibly be there "to illuminate the road"?

This is a joke surely?

Reversing lights on a car without a camera......er.....maybe to help you see when reversing as well as warning other road users of your intentions?

If your driving a car with no reversing camera do you just reverse without looking? :winky:

• Like 1

This is a joke surely?

Reversing lights on a car without a camera......er.....maybe to help you see when reversing as well as warning other road users of your intentions?

If your driving a car with no reversing camera do you just reverse without looking? :winky:

Well no - twisting my words there buddy!

You look back as all people do through the rear windscreen and using the side mirrors but what use is the illumination of reversing lights? rear lights will be on at night anyway?

Just an observation if they were to warn others that a vehicle was reversing why are they " White " and projecting white light, as any rozzer will tell you white light can only be projected from the front of a car !

Just an observation if they were to warn others that a vehicle was reversing why are they " White " and projecting white light, as any rozzer will tell you white light can only be projected from the front of a car !

Maybe because if they were red you wouldn't be able to see them against all the other red lights on the back of the car

I still find it astonishing that people think these lights dont have a purpose of actually allumiating the area behind your vehicle so you can actually see where you are reversing ????

so you keep saying.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

For crying out loud, white lights at the front so you can see where your going, white lights at the rear so you can see where your going, the camera is an aid and nothing more. Reverse light/lights also tell/ inform other motorists of your intentions so act as a tell tail light, it's not rocket science.

Lexus don't get much wrong but this is all about design over functionality, and it would be far to costly for Lexus to put right, it's not classed as dangerous so there will be no recall.

We could all enroll on a Jedi masters course, might even get a group discount, may the Force be with your when your reversing or just a good old full moon, that's WHITE as well.

Ha ha that last post is great ! Its ages since I set this debate going and it was from a pure observation that in my very dark drive I could see bugger all and I was just aazed such a great car could be let down in this way.

Ha ha that last post is great ! Its ages since I set this debate going and it was from a pure observation that in my very dark drive I could see bugger all and I was just aazed such a great car could be let down in this way.

I had a 54 plate RX300 before the 450h and didn't have any problems with that car either. It was an SE as well, had nothing but sensors.

Maybe the tinted glass is giving you issues?

This is a joke surely?

Well no - twisting my words there buddy!

You look back as all people do through the rear windscreen and using the side mirrors but what use is the illumination of reversing lights? rear lights will be on at night anyway?

I didn't think so.....you said "What use would illumination be in a vehicle with no reversing camera?".................the obvious answer is to let the driver see where he is going in reverse.

No twist, not even a slight bend :winky: , well certainly not intentional if thats what you think, I apologise.

• 2 weeks later...