Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Buying Advice

micker35

Hi Folks,

I've been on the lookout for an IS300 for what seems like a very long time now. I've been watching an auction on eBay for a while and the car looks like it could be ideal. However, as always, there's a bit of a hitch. The car's got 97500 on the clock and although it's got lots of service history, it hasn't been serviced for over a year. What with it's age (2004) and it's milage, that means that the next service is going to be a big'un.

So, here's my question. Does anyone know what the recommended work to be done on a 100K service is (and how much does it run to).Of course that will include the usual cam belt and pulleys but, are there other things that should be done at that milage. Also, am I better off looking for a slightly older car but with less on the clock (assuming that they've both got decent history).

As always, an help it greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick.

I think the cam belt change is 6 years or 60K miles, if it is like the IS200. If so, it should have had one change in the service docs and the next one will be at 12 years or 120K miles.

Hello Mike, i've just bought a IS300 in the last two weeks. It has full lexus history and the 6 year service invoice recommended the timing belt be replaced, so although the handbook may say 10 years 100,000 miles ,its been lowered to 60k.

Extra's on a 6 year are spark plugs ( every 60k ). Diff oil seems to be at 4 years and 8 years.Brake fluid every 2nd year, and coolant looks like every 3 years.

So you could be looking at a service, timing belt, brake fluid and coolant .....time to break open the piggy bank !

Just a though..the above service is going to be £800 plus, could you not look for a lower mileage car and pump that £800 into the car not the service, if you get my drift ? :)

Hi Kenfoxy & Bob,

Thanks for your reply's. Like you say, Bob, I probably would be better off looking for a lower milage car. The good thing about that particular car, though, is that all the servicing has been done at a Lexus dealership. So, I guess, all the servicing will have been done as per Lexus's recommendations.

Anyway, thanks once again for your input. I'll do what I do best and give it a thinking over (my problem is that I spend so long thinking about things that I alsways seem to talk myself of it :)).

Cheers,

Mick.

If the seller can't prove that the timing belt etc. has been changed then I wouldn't even think about buying it. It could snap on you as you drive off. Then you are talking megabucks. If it has been done, I would get an estimate from a good independent on the cost of a service. IS's are not complicated cars and the trade is well used to them.

My IS 300 has done over 140000 miles and i havnt serviced it in more than 2 yrs!:blink:

At the mileage you are quoting, I would be more than happy to buy that car!

Many people think that milage is a problem but i tend to disagree. Mileage is proof of distance covered and if looked after well, there is no reason why on this engine the car wont do 3 times as much! Its a well tried and tested engine which is used in many different variants of toyota and lexus.

As for timing belt. Its worth a look by taking off the cover above the top pulley (4 hex bolts) and deciding the condition of the belt. :excl:

There should be 2 or 3 mm of pulley visible at the front edge of the belt and the belt should be approx 1" thick.

Ive NEVER heard of a belt just snapping and personally think that this kind of scaremongery is for the foolish.

There are plenty of threads on here (with pics) to show what to look out for re timing belts.

As for doing your own service work I for one would highly recommend to do so if u have some practical ability and a fair tool kit or find someone locally with some savvy :winky:

The plugs are a bit of a mare on this 2JZGE engine as the throttle body and few bits need removing first unlike the TT version on the supra.

So to sum up. You go for it mate. Buy the one with the mileage and the history and find a reliable service mechanic who knows what theyre doing.

It is not necessary to pay Lexus in excess of £100 per hour labour charges trust me so Dont dither over this one.

If you like it, then just buy it mate. :)

If the seller will let you remove the cover to inspect the timing belt, then I would agree with SparkMarky. If not, I would be very careful. I have seen a pic of a IS200 belt with over 90K miles and it was half its original size.

Hi Guys,

Once again, many thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. It's much appreciated. Bob King PM'd me about an Is300 on Pistonheads which looked like a good deal. Well, I guess it really must have been a good deal as it's sold already.

Once again, Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

mick.

hello.

cut the story short - i would buy it. the 300's are better.

dont let the service put you off.

buy it & service it inc cambelt kit etc.

just my personal advise. you will be glad in the end.

good luck :shifty:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links