Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Clutch And Flywheel Change (Picture Heavy)

Right ill start off by saying im no mechanic.. it took me for ever... and i dont want to do it again anytime soon hah

i done it on my larry and i really wish i has a hand as the car wasnt all that high and the gearbox was heavier than i thought.. only had it set up on wheels but i worked with what i had :)

and i might not have done things right etc or how you should do ... but hey tell me whats what and ill be happy to listen! :)

anyway on to some pictures (no fancy shots was kind of grubby and wanted to try to finish it!)

got the car up to a height i first thought was plenty high enough

IMG_0964.jpg

whipped what under tray i had left under there off

IMG_0965.jpg

then took my decat pipe off

IMG_0966.jpg

bit of scrapage

IMG_0967.jpg

split my prop

IMG_0968.jpg

then i slid the prop out the gearbox (woops)

IMG_0970.jpg

prop on the floor

IMG_0972.jpg

took the shifter and that off

IMG_0974.jpg

then hunted for the bell housing bolts (only seemed to take this picture but had three long extension bars and two small ones to get to the top ones and one for the starter motor

IMG_0976.jpg

bolts all out and just resting while i figured out how to get it to the floor without breaking it

IMG_0982.jpg

dropped it onto a wheel i had laying about

IMG_0986.jpg

had to slide the prop back in as gearbox oil started to come out the rear of the box where i took the prop out

IMG_0987.jpg

old clutch intact ready to be taken off

IMG_0988.jpg

old clutch plate (suprised at condition of it as the abuse its had)

IMG_0992.jpg

old dual mass flywheel

IMG_0991.jpg

flywheel off

IMG_0996.jpg

got hungry!

IMG_0993.jpg

cleaned up the jun lightened flywheel (much lighter!!)

IMG_0995.jpg

torqued up the flywheel with new bolts and threadlock

IMG_0998.jpg

flywheel fitted

IMG_0999.jpg

new clutch kit to go in

IMG_1001.jpg

clutch on and alligned to what i though was right...

IMG_1005.jpg

box ready to be lined up

IMG_1003.jpg

then realised i couldnt lift the box and hold it up long enough to allign it :( so i improvised..

IMG_1008.jpg

eventually got it on... what a pain!!

IMG_1015.jpg

then done all the bell housing bolts back up.. no photos

exhaust back on

IMG_1017.jpg

and it all back together!

IMG_1019.jpg

comments/criticism welcome!!

Hi you have done incredibly well to carry out that job with the minimum lift and on your own!! .I have done a few clutches over the years but not on my own ,you also did well with the alignment ,this can be a struggle if you don't use a mandrel first . Well done

@dinho

Just get on and do it... If you have the space and some tools just have a go.. All I did.. I'm no mechanic as I said.. And it drives a bit better.. Like if I'm skidding it in the dry it's much easier to keep it sideways if I pop the clutch as sliding as the revs pick up quicker and the clutch's clamping force is allot better due to the updated cover and the 4puk disc dissipates heat better therefore will be up for some more abuse.. So I'll see how it goes on my next drift day :)

• 1 year later...

@dinho

Just get on and do it... If you have the space and some tools just have a go.. All I did.. I'm no mechanic as I said.. And it drives a bit better.. Like if I'm skidding it in the dry it's much easier to keep it sideways if I pop the clutch as sliding as the revs pick up quicker and the clutch's clamping force is allot better due to the updated cover and the 4puk disc dissipates heat better therefore will be up for some more abuse.. So I'll see how it goes on my next drift day smile.gif

Mate, really nice job there. It looks like a lot of work. Can you please tell me if it's necessary to replace the cover as well when you replace the clutch plate?

If you are going to all the trouble of removing the gearbox then it would be wise to replace the plate, cover and bearing... Don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar..

I'd be tempted to replace the flywheel too but I'm not too sure how long the DMFs last on the IS.... Certainly on any modern diesel I would

replace the clutch as a kit their really is no real saving only replacing single items...if your skint you can have the flywheel welded and lightened...

• 3 years later...

Can I know what was the clutch kit that you have used? Flywheel is clear, a JUN lightweight unit, but what is the clutch kit type/manufacturer?