Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

. I wouldnt want to run till it cut out just to see the figures.

You don't have to do that, you fill it, and note the mileage, then run it till the light comes on, or your down to a quarter tank.

Then fill it again and subtract the earlier mileage from your current mileage.

You now have the miles you got for the amount of fuel you just replaced -simples!

yes pretty certain thats what i explained i did. it was the previous poster that said he had never tried which is why i explained how to do it!.

I normally get 350-400mpg,

What!?!

Whoops! I mean 350-400 miles per tank, not gallon :blush:

typical motorway/A-road cruise is 85 leptons +/- 10.

WHAT!?!?! (you do know the correct 'conversion' factor for leptons, I take it?) ;)

I do know of the "correct" conversion factor, however, in this instance, leptons may be used in a "non-self-incriminating word substitution" type scenario. Sorry I can't be any clearer than mud, but I'm sure you get my meaning...

. I wouldnt want to run till it cut out just to see the figures.

You don't have to do that, you fill it, and note the mileage, then run it till the light comes on, or your down to a quarter tank.

Then fill it again and subtract the earlier mileage from your current mileage.

You now have the miles you got for the amount of fuel you just replaced -simples!

yes pretty certain thats what i explained i did. it was the previous poster that said he had never tried which is why i explained how to do it!.

It's not so much not knowing how to do it; it's just that I never think of it when I fill up (so I don't reset the tripmeter or note down the mileage), or I end up doing a mixture of urban & highway driving on the same tank which means I can't know my urban vs. open road mpgs.

Whoops! I mean 350-400 miles per tank, not gallon :blush:

That's pretty much what I get.

I do know of the "correct" conversion factor, however, in this instance, leptons may be used in a "non-self-incriminating word substitution" type scenario. Sorry I can't be any clearer than mud, but I'm sure you get my meaning...

It's just, in the world of "non-self-incriminating word substitution", I'm sure you mean 0.85 leptons, unless your LS is a lot faster than we think! ;)

• 4 years later...

Here's my mpg in mkIV LS400 passing the same point on cruise control, which has a VERY slight incline (as I didn't want a coasting mpg), almost flat. Notice how Lexus has set it up for 56mph:

mph mpg
40 42
50 42.7
55 44.4
56 47.2
57 42.9
59 41.1
60 39.7

How come you guys are getting 30+mpg? and Manicmark: 37?

I dont doubt these figures at all, but there must be something wrong with mine.

I used to get 26ish and 28ish on a long run (I brim to brim it a lot)

Over the last 12 months its down by about 4mpg.

Come on guys...help me out...whats wrong with the old girl. I have noticed recently that there is a lot of condensation from the exhausts.??????

Condensation from exhaust in any other car would indicate head gasket on it's way out. Though never heard of a the gasket going on an LS

Is your coolant needing to be topped up.

Also check filters, on my 1st LS, they were well overdue and made a difference of about 3mpg when filters replaced.

A MK4 certainly has no problems doing 36mpg when treated gently, my Mk2 got up to 34, so assume different auto-box makes the difference on long runs

...... 15 / 16 around town, slow, stop start etc ...... that's all any of the rest of us get probably ............... what other car anywhere in the world ever that's a 4ltr limo that weighs a ton or so achieve much better consumption !

The Lexus bill for diagnostics, well, you might want to save that cost and put in a little more ( or a lot more ) fuel

Malc

Right thats it!! i have booked mine in to lexus on fri, to get it plugged in, as i am getting between 15-16 mpg round town no matter how i drive it.

My MK4 used to do around 18 in town so you're not far out. The LS430 does about the same, and I can manage 32 at best. I suppose it's not a bad thing to have a proper Lexus diagnostic check once in a while. Did they give you a price?

Right thats it!! i have booked mine in to lexus on fri, to get it plugged in, as i am getting between 15-16 mpg round town no matter how i drive it.

My MK4 used to do around 18 in town so you're not far out. The LS430 does about the same, and I can manage 32 at best. I suppose it's not a bad thing to have a proper Lexus diagnostic check once in a while. Did they give you a price?

60 pounds to do the diagnostic, not bad really, as i have tried to get it done at another garage, but they couldnt get into the ecu, if i do a ecu reset it goes upto 18.5 but soon drops back to 15-16.

On the U.S. forums, owners were replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor (not very expensive and easy to replace), and posting that they found a good improvement in overall mpg, especially in stop/start town driving. Could be worth a punt for those who are concerned about falling mpg figures.

On the U.S. forums, owners were replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor (not very expensive and easy to replace), and posting that they found a good improvement in overall mpg, especially in stop/start town driving. Could be worth a punt for those who are concerned about falling mpg figures.

£60 is pretty good for a main dealer diagnostic, I'd be happy with that.

I was reading just this week about the coolant temperature sensor being called the "master sensor" that's because it can affect almost every aspect of the cars performance. I'm just replacing it on my wife's Vauxhall, less than £10.

I had a 2005 is200 sportcross a while ago before the ls400 as always wanted a V8 ,and cant say ive noticed using any more fuel for my daily and weekend trips,

But i have definitely gained a better value for money motor,that can kick arse when needed,apprentice i give a lift to work every day loves it,he calls it the Japanese muscle car B)

I've just done a 600 mile round trip to south of Manchester - mostly dual carriageway and motorway cruising at 75 mph and got 31.8 mpg overall. This was into a strong headwind for most of the journey south and traffic queues on the way back north otherwise I'm sure it would have been over 32mpg - not bad.

Wasted journey though as the Reliant Scimitar my son wanted to buy proved it would be unable to make the journey home with us due to a burst heater hose (on test drive), weeping core plug and tracking wildly out. I'm not a Scimitar fan, so was quite pleased really.

Pete

I've just done a 600 mile round trip to south of Manchester - mostly dual carriageway and motorway cruising at 75 mph and got 31.8 mpg overall. This was into a strong headwind for most of the journey south and traffic queues on the way back north otherwise I'm sure it would have been over 32mpg - not bad.

Wasted journey though as the Reliant Scimitar my son wanted to buy proved it would be unable to make the journey home with us due to a burst heater hose (on test drive), weeping core plug and tracking wildly out. I'm not a Scimitar fan, so was quite pleased really.

Pete

Maybe a mixture of the oval blue badge mixed with a boat hull that you dont like then Pete :rolleyes:

Having sorted out one for my brother 20 years ago, I came to the conclusion that I didn't really like them. They are in my opinion a poorly put together kit car which deteriorates quickly with age, generally lacking in quality and performance, with a constant smell of dampness, petrol and fibreglass not necessarily in that order.

He's after an older car to take his wife and kids to rallies but the Minors we have on the road just now only have 2 seats. I've suggested a Rover P6B having had 6 of them but he's not keen - yet.

Pete

How accurate is the mpg computer readout on the dash? I have not done enough mileage, so far, to do a brim to brim check but on a 40 mile run, mixed motorway, main roads, town it indicated 28.2 mpg (Mk IV LS 400 1998)

just got back from Lexus Cardiff, superb customer service, was greeted by the very pretty receptionist, the mechanic was superb, couldnt find any faults so didnt charge me, and they washed it too, so my car must be behaving normally then.

just got back from Lexus Cardiff, superb customer service, was greeted by the very pretty receptionist, the mechanic was superb, couldnt find any faults so didnt charge me, and they washed it too, so my car must be behaving normally then.

Some one edit your post Matthew...........................who was practically wearing school uniform :) :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links