Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard Rattle/creak Sound. Please Help Me!

Hi, I have a 2007 is220d and about 5 months ago, the dashboard developed a very annoying creaking sound from the forward middle section of the dashboard. The creak is very loud, but this happens only when the weather is cold(less than than 16 degrees). When I turn on the heater, the creak stops. Also if a put very light pressure in the forward part of the center speaker, the creak stops.

What can I do. I have a problem because I am from Malta and have no lexus dealers so I have to try to repair it on my own.

Any ideas how???

Thanks

I bought a 2nd hand IS220d 3 months ago and I had rattles from my dash. I cured mine by pushing felt pads (the sort that you put on the bottom of chair legs) at either end of the dash, just where the pillars run against the dash.

You can also get a rattle from the glove box, this is normally cured by fitting the same pads to the cover that fits over the pollen filter.

Noisy and squeaky doors are cured by spraying the rubber seals with a silicon spray, this in small amounts around the centre consol also cures squeaks.

Mine at the moment is quiet.

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem with my IS250 Sport. I've got the Multimedia pack and the dealer said it was a known problem with this option. The cure is to remove most of the dash and centre console and re-position the wiring. I had this done 3 years ago and the seriously annoying, temperature related creak has gone, never to return. Any little noise on these cars always stand out as they are normally so quiet.

I had a similar problem with my IS250 Sport. I've got the Multimedia pack and the dealer said it was a known problem with this option. The cure is to remove most of the dash and centre console and re-position the wiring. I had this done 3 years ago and the seriously annoying, temperature related creak has gone, never to return. Any little noise on these cars always stand out as they are normally so quiet.

I have this problem with my brand new F-Sport as well. When I contacted Lexus they told me they weren't aware of the issue and told me to show it to them. When I took them out for a drive it didn't do it...dammit! I'm now left with the problem which still occurs occasionally! Thank Lexus!

I have this problem with my brand new F-Sport as well. When I contacted Lexus they told me they weren't aware of the issue and told me to show it to them. When I took them out for a drive it didn't do it...dammit! I'm now left with the problem which still occurs occasionally! Thank Lexus!

Creak or crack? Mine cracks as though a stone has hit the windscreen, but it's plastic shrinkage. I can't believe Lexus allow their dealerships to fob off customers like they do - it's an entry level model so chances are we would be buying a higher model in a few years if the service lived up to the reputation. (the reverse is true in my experience - polite but useless). It's a good car let down by the inability of the dealers to fix a few simple [for a trained and experienced Techs] problems. The Germans must be laughing all the way to the bank (although I've heard their service has suffered too in the last few years). Their stuff used to be average reliabilty but fixed without complaint, Japanese stuff was reliable and simple, now it's probably still above average but problems are swept under the carpet. I get better, more knowledgable service abroad, so maybe it's just here. Nice coffee though.

Had all sorts of rattles and creaks since I bought my IS250 new three years ago. Dealers have been poor at trying to fix it. The worst is the rattling sound from the door near the seat-belt housing. Been in four times and never fixed. I find out recently it's the striker pins in the doors that needed a bit of duct tape wrapping round then. Great - fixed a month before I sell it :-( Other annoying rattle is from passenger seat when no-one is sat in it (may explain why Sunny K can't demo rattle to dealer ?). Another rattle from glove box. Rattles galore.

Don't know if this helps at all, but I'll chuck my ten pennneth in!

Not sure if you mean a CREAK or a CRACK sound. If its a Creak then there are numerous sources to listen for.

If its a CRACK sound(much like a ball bearing being fired against the windscreen) then this is a known issue/fault. I was told it was two plastic boards (that have differing coefficients of expansion during a warm up period)behind the Stereo unit. Apparently fixed by the insertion of a couple of washers to separate the boards.

I used to hear one hell of a crack sound after 5-10 mins of start up. It was really quite concerning. Lexus sorted it for me after a polite request, whilst they were doing other work. Now all is silent and much nicer altogether. Thanks Lexus.

There is a post up here somewhere relating to getting the stereo out of an is220/250. Might pay you to search it out. If I stumble across it I will put up the link here for it.

Good luck with the problem, can't be easy on Malta with no Lexus service centres to call on.

How common are these dash rattles? I am considering part-exchanging my 2008 BMW 320i for an IS250 and this is seriously putting me off. I really fancy the superb stereo and built in sat-nav but nothing annoys me more that a rattling dash.

It is a nice enough car but the dash rattles on mine are driving me mad.......... and from what I've been reading, I've got a relatively good one. The dealers have been less than impressive and the whole experience has put my wife and I off the Lexus brand. It is a shame because the 250 is not a bad car, it is just that at this kind of price the fit and finish is dreadful. My only other issue is the dodgy brakes - they're just not up to the job.

I knew the car was not as good as a 3 or a C but was hoping that reliability and dealer service would make up for it.......... BIG MISTAKE! I'm just glad I tested the water with a s/h IS. If it was up to scratch my wife would have bought a new RX this year. As it is the money will end up with BMW.

......oh and don't forget that the Sat Nav doesn't have full postcode input. Apart from that it is a very good unit but this omission means that it is impossible to enter an address accurately if you don't have a house number - and very slow if you do!

......oh and don't forget that the Sat Nav doesn't have full postcode input. Apart from that it is a very good unit but this omission means that it is impossible to enter an address accurately if you don't have a house number - and very slow if you do!

Partial postcode input! Luxury!

I've also been looking at the Nissan 350z and it's sat-nav has NO postcode entry . Just addresses via a joystick thingy.

>>As it is the money will end up with BMW

I would be very careful with BMW as well. When I got my car (5 month old ex-management)I noticed that the "A" pillar creaked when going over pot holes. It has been back to the main dealer 14 times and they never resolved the problem . The manufacturers warranty has now run out so I~ am stuck with it. I know that I could probably force them to look at it again but I have completely run out of energy with this problem. It's the main reason why I am looking for another car.

...but at least with BMW you're generally not compromising with driving dynamics or engine choice. The only BMW I've owned was a MCoupe bought when it was one year old. It had a few problems but everything was sorted by BMW even outside of warranty.

There's a lot to like about the IS but the bad bits have certainly dispelled the Lexus quality/reliability myth.

...but at least with BMW you're generally not compromising with driving dynamics or engine choice. The only BMW I've owned was a M Coupe bought when it was one year old. It had a few problems but everything was sorted by BMW even outside of warranty.

There's a lot to like about the IS but the bad bits have certainly dispelled the Lexus quality/reliability myth.

Fair point Simon. The dealer did actually fit a BMW ipod interface free of charge because they had messed me around so much. It's just a shame that they are so damn expensive. I would really like a 330d Coupe with sat-nav but you are looking at over £20k for a 3 year old one.

• 2 months later...

Cheers for the bulletin L33, I have had this rattle and keep being told that I am the only one to suffer it.

I am going to the dealer with a copy to show them, if nothing is done the car will be sold and I will probably buy a cheap but quiet VW, in fact anything that doesn't rattle.

Cheers for the bulletin L33, I have had this rattle and keep being told that I am the only one to suffer it.

I am going to the dealer with a copy to show them, if nothing is done the car will be sold and I will probably buy a cheap but quiet VW, in fact anything that doesn't rattle.

Yes, the dreaded dash rattle.

Normally sounds like it's coming from the centre speaker grille on top of your dash.

In fact it's the whole dash moving due to the aforementioned clips.

The original clips were too small or did not have enough material around them to reduce movement.

Lexus brought these new clips out to cure the problem.

Unfortunately it means removing the dash.

I had mine done yesterday and rattle has gone and you can physically feel that the dash is better secured on the new clips.

As a test you can grip your dash and pull it forward towards you then push it back, there's quite a bit of play on the old clips.

Lexus try to charge £460 to do the job.

I know for a fact it can be done in under 2 hours.

As mentioned by others, these little rattles can drive you mad but I think the dash one is by far the worse of the lot. The others are much easier cured.

Carl

Re the rattles - Ive had the IS250 for about a year now summer and winter and I am struck by how the rattles come and go - I noticed the centre speaker rattle when test driving but didnt happen much thereafter - so I can live with that but the other day the car was parked in the sun for a while - I went for a short drive and there were are crazy amount of creaks and squeaks coming from the dash - have never heard it like that before - Its out of warranty so I am not to keen to get it looked at. I havent heard this noise since however if it starts up like that regularly it may be time to go! Also Im getting a lot of tyre noise/roar which is ruining the general calm. Am gurding my loins to replace all 4 of the directional cheapo naff sunny tires I inherited - but am nervous that putting new bridgestones or conti's will not improve - but surely they must.. Lastly the engine makes some rattles on start up - again its occasional but its another worry.

Maybe the situation is not as bad on later cars? (mine is mid 2006) Have they learnt from the early quality issues?

I too was considering a three series before I was seduced by the better looking/value/equipped IS. Like for like I dont think it drives any worse than the 325se auto I tested except maybe the ride quality. Wether or not I will be seriously burned by this car remains to be seen but if I did get rid now I would loose several grand (Again) so I should keep it for a while yet. Trouble is the costs are high generally!

Ill stop wafflin' now..

Marcus

Just heard back from Lexus regarding the dreaded dash rattle and surprise surprise the warranty on this fix is 48months or 50000 miles in the states, but is 36 months or 60000 miles (whichever is sooner) in the UK.

I would love to know why the UK always seem to be treated worse than other countries, surely the same problem and same fix should have the same warranty period no matter where the vehicle is located.

Steve.

Just heard back from Lexus and they are prepared to cure my dash rattle for £116, considerably cheaper than their normal price of £550. I have agreed to have it done but I am getting in touch with Lexus UK to point out the unfairness of the difference in warranty offered for the same fix.

I hope that all of you who have this problem will bombard Lexus and complain.

Steve.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just had Lexus Sidcup confirm that this is a known problem to them however they will charge £280 to fix it. They requested that I take the car to them to have it fixed and whilst I am there they will contact Lexus UK on my behalf to see if they will pay the bill.

I sent Lexus UK a letter today to complain - Lets see what they say!!!!

I have shoved rubber door stoppers around the dash and windscreen to stop the noise!!!! Thanks Lexus for creating such a Luxury Car

Just got a letter back from Lexus - and they are saying it is a wear and tear problem, although Lexus dealer did say it is a known problem with the old clips:

£280 or contibued rattle!!!

Dear Mr Ahmed

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us via the Lexus blog and also
by letter.

I was sorry to hear of the problems you have reported and have taken this
opportunity to investigate your concerns. I have spoken to Lexus Sidcup who
have advised me that they have no record of your vehicle. Whilst we are unable
to offer comment on your contact with them I can only assume that an informal
discussion may have taken place over the telephone.

I note that you have investigated your concern on the internet. Unfortunately, the internet is an open forum
for discussion and may be subjective. As such we cannot comment as to whether
the issues described relate to your particular case and so look to handle cases
individually

Turning to the concern at hand; Lexus offers a 3 years or 60,000 miles, which ever
comes sooner, manufacturer warranty. It is inevitable that at some point in a
vehicle life repairs over and above wear tear will be required and I regret to
advise that in your case it would appear this to be the case.

You have not advised where your vehicle was purchased from however had this been
from a Lexus Centre it would have benefited from a years unlimited mileage
warranty. Regretfully if the car was bought privately or from an independent garage
due to age of the vehicle we cannot offer financial assistance towards the
repair cost. If you have purchased the car from an independent garage you may
wish to check with them if they have provided you with any warranty.

I am sorry we are unable to respond in a more positive manner and I realise our
response will come as a further disappointment to you.

Yours sincerely

George Radanov

Customer Relations Executive

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Carl, who kindly sent me some foam pads my dash rattle has gone for good.

The pads were a type of rubber/silicone/gel blend and pressure resistant so once in between the dash and windscreen it expands. I have searched on eBay and found some that you can try if you experience the same.

On eBay search Neoprene sponge rubber - here is a link too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2MM-0R-6MM-THICK-ADHESIVE-BACKED-BLACK-NEOPRENE-SPONGE-RUBBER-SHEET-75mm-x-500mm-/261340187889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3cd916ccf1

Very cheap and you only need three small bits folded in half so the sticky side stick to its self, then use a screwdriver and place two by ach pillar and one in the centre part of the dash and windscreen.

Hope this helps. :phone:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links