Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry to start up this topic again - I know there was a thread about it a while back, but after re-reading people's comments I can't work out whether there was actually a consensus of opinion.

I'm going to need new blades before MOT-time in May, so should I buy:

1) Replacement rubbers (only) from a Toyota garage and cut to fit? or

2) Complete wiper arms? These seem to be available from supermarkets as well as Halfords.

Which are easier to fit? Anyone got recent experience of doing the same job?

Cheers.

The rubbers barely cost anything, when I had standard wipers my dealer used to replace them free of charge.

I'm now using PIAA silicone wipers - although a bit pricey, they are brilliant and last ages.

I ordered some of the flat ones of eBay at the weekend for about £7. I wanted to get rid of the existing ones cos they are very tired looking. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive. I'm hoping they'll be easy to fit. :blink:

I ordered some of the flat ones of ebay at the weekend for about £7. I wanted to get rid of the existing ones cos they are very tired looking. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive. I'm hoping they'll be easy to fit. :blink:

Are the ones you ordered on e-bay 'LEXUS LS400 LS430 95-04 Flat AERO WIPERS Blades 24 16' from Raceparts (£4.99 a pair plus postage)?

I ordered some of the flat ones of ebay at the weekend for about £7. I wanted to get rid of the existing ones cos they are very tired looking. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive. I'm hoping they'll be easy to fit. :blink:

Are the ones you ordered on e-bay 'LEXUS LS400 LS430 95-04 Flat AERO WIPERS Blades 24 16' from Raceparts (£4.99 a pair plus postage)?

I have just brought those and I completely flumaxed as to how the new one fits on.

I can get the old one off by lifting up the clip and taking it off of the wiper arm but cant see how you fit the new one as it looks as though it will come off because there is no clip to hold the wiper blade on. I used the same type on my Jeep and they are great.

Mike feeling a bit stupid.

Bugger... not straight forward then :crybaby:

No. Its more likely me being stupid again. Iam just waiting for someone to clarify that I am correct. Stupid that is.

Mike

the 'flat' style wipers are incompatible with the twin armed wiper systems.

there isnt enough clearance for the catches where it should fit on.

I have personaly tried them on my mk4 , and they dont fit

you can make them fit , but they will not work well. they dont curve to the screen enough and are to stiff.

unless there is a new thinner metal version , send them back.

replace rubber in old ones of get the Halfords ones.

I originally bought some Bosch wipers and they were rubbish,I couldn't stand the noise when there was little water on the screen.I replaced them with the cheapy eBay flat type ones and they have been excellent,they wipe very clean and smear free even with the light drizzle type rain and no noise,been on around 2 years without problems.

Mine did need the fixing modifying due to the twin arm but this only involved cutting a slither of plastic off the clip on both sides,after that fitting was secure and good.

Make sure the size of the blades you order are correct by measuring your existing ones as there are differing sizes across the model range.

• Like 1

I just had a good look at the ones in that auction , they have a much better looking attachment method than the ones I bought.

Guess these things do get better sometimes :P .

let us know if they are good , mine are nearing end of life and leaving streaks.

Mine fitted exactly the same as shown in the picture i.e lift the tab - slide wiper over the hook and clip the tab back - very simple and stright forward to fit.

Once again I live down to my expectations.

Will fit first thing in the motor.

In my defense I didnt notice the fitting diagram in the ad.

Mike

Not sure what the difficulties are here but on my Mk3 I have bought replacement curved blade aero replacements from my local Costco made by Goodyear for about £6 each (different size for passenger and driver sides) and they took 5 minutes (for both) to fit, slide on slide off affair though I found the driver side easier to fit by 'parking' the wiper arms at 12 o'clock'. Have had them on for 2 years now and still going strong, good ability to clear water without leaving an arc and no noise, they haven't rusted like the ones that were on before either ...

My new wiper blades arrived and just fitted them. Fitting was straight forward apart from on the double armed side I needed to cut some plastic off the clip to fit over the mechanism. They appear to wipe very well and look sleek and modern (no rust or chipped black paint!). Good value I'd say B)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I put pics regarding this small modification to wipers on this site a while back.

Pete

Would it be possible to point me in the direction of these pics?

Cheers!

EDIT

No worries, I found them unfortunately I can't mod the ones I bought in the same way,

Wished I'd seen this before buying!! :oops:

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd jump on this thread instead of starting another thread.

I purchased some Bosch replacement wipers according to wiper blades.co.uk. The passenger side was fine. The drivers side fits ok, but hits the bonnet. I've tried everything but it will always hit the bonnet. wiper blades.co.uk refunded the drivers side which was good.

Thinking of getting flats but worried they are visible when the wipers are off? Can anyone confirm? I don't want to see the clip when the wipers are in the rest position.

Thanks

2004 LS

I replaced mine with Lexus ones I bought from my local Lexus dealer I cant remember what they cost now but it couldnt have been any worse than Bosch or any of the others otherwise I would have gone for them instead. Mike