Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

At last have managed to average over 40 MPG on a tankfull which impresses me, not many diesel owners can achieve this and they pay more for the fuel. I find my hybrid gets more frugal with age, now over 100,000 and runs better than ever.I have noticed when full "Cruising range" is up to 440 miles, was 390 when I started to use it. Thank you Lexus for a superb product

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be kind enough to say what tyres you use and what pressures?

Thanks.

I found using anything less than about 36psi in winter gives awfull mpg and very poor handling. I was using 38psi for a while on the rears, but this has caused more wear in the center of the tyre, but did improve the handling.

With the warmer weather 34psi seems to be fine for handling and ecconomy, however after the car service the dealer set all four tyres at 32psi.

The car has Yokohama Advan A10E on it.

Thanks.

I found using anything less than about 36psi in winter gives awfull mpg and very poor handling. I was using 38psi for a while on the rears, but this has caused more wear in the center of the tyre, but did improve the handling.

With the warmer weather 34psi seems to be fine for handling and ecconomy, however after the car service the dealer set all four tyres at 32psi.

Hi, at the moment I have front Dunlops and old Pirelli Zeros on the rear, to be honest I never check the pressure as it has a service about every 10 weeks and I rely on the TPS to tell me if there is a problem.

Thanks.

I have the same tyres as you, Yokohama's, I have mine set at 33psi

I've had my GS for a few weeks now. I'm yet to see an average mpg figure of over 30? I was cruising on the motorway at 80mph with cruise control on for 30 miles, and averaged 29 over this distance. Around the town, I am getting 22-25 mpg. I've not yet had over 310 miles on a tank. I started driving it with a heavy right foot but have eased that now, but can't understand why my figures are so far off the manufacturers claimed 31mpg town or 35.8 combined.??? Any ideas anyone?

I've had my GS for a few weeks now. I'm yet to see an average mpg figure of over 30? I was cruising on the motorway at 80mph with cruise control on for 30 miles, and averaged 29 over this distance. Around the town, I am getting 22-25 mpg. I've not yet had over 310 miles on a tank. I started driving it with a heavy right foot but have eased that now, but can't understand why my figures are so far off the manufacturers claimed 31mpg town or 35.8 combined.??? Any ideas anyone?

We all understand that how the way we drive will mean that we all get different m.p.g, if you drive carefully your get better m.p.g that if your floor it everywhere. I have owned a 450h for 5 years, each year has averaged out at around 28 m.p.g., and I drive very carefully, but only cover around 5k miles a year, less than 1k miles are motorway miles, I travel 5miles to work and work shifts so can start and finish any time 24 hours a day. So being a hybrid I think its more the type of driving you do rather than the way you drive that will give each driver a differing m.p.g.

I have noticed that when I have done a longer trip ( non motorway ) the I have used the hybrid system more and achieved up to 32 m.p.g.

I do think long distance journeys help the consumption figures, when working I cover anything between 200 and 800 miles a day, with only 2 or 3 startups so the motor is always at optimum temperature,use cruise control everywhere and concentrate on the road ahead. I liken each pedal to a trap door on the bottom of my bank account ie the more I press either the more each journey costs me! I like to see how many yellow max (40 MPG +) bars I can achieve on the trip graph- 11 in a row yesterday. Main trip computer has not been reset for 60,000 miles and is now showing average of 36.4 MPG. never switch the air con off, also running a phone charger, DAB radio and a 12V fridge so I suffer no discomfort to achieve these figures. All this said though I seldom use the car locally for short trips (who wouldn't be fed up driving it?)The Alfa Spider feel like a breath of fresh air at the weekend.

The GS does impress me as a very comfortable and inexpensive car to run, still on the original discs and pads at 107,000 miles and about 40,000 per set of tyres.

Regards to all Tony

My mpg varies from 36 driving extremely carefully, to 31 driving very aggressively. That's mainly on 17 mile commute to work, mostly on motorway varing from stop start to free flowing, and several 1 to 3 mile trips to the shops during the week. Some of the best figures I've acheived have come in heavy traffic on the motorway 20 to 40mph, with lots of changes in speed.

I find 40mpg is easily acheived at 70mph on the flat.

I do think ahead to get those figures, keeping the energy meter just a fraction into the negative area when slowing at high speed, and when slowing to a stop. Thereby maximising the time that the engine is off.

Did you consider checking to see if the trip computer is reading acurately by doing a full to full miles/fuel calculation?

Blimey 40mpg!!! I managed to get 32.4mpg going all the way to newquay! I was impressed at these figures let alone 40mpg! I travel to and from Reading from cheltenham once a week and the best i get is 28mpg.. But it is fairly hilly so I can understand that!

40mpg... wow fairplay!

Cheers

Ben

• 1 month later...

Some strange tyre pressures, I'd have thought 33psi way too low for the Lex.

I run 36 psi all around and it seems ok, with the Yoko's which will be swapped out for some Contis soon. can't stand the Yoko's when they are part worn

MPG is a strange one - my misses will run 33-37mpg constantly through the spring/summer, down to 30-33 in the winter due to extras being used on the car. when we go down to Newquay I get about 36-38mpg on each trip, taking a steady 70-80 and no more.. but when i use it for a few weeks, then i only see around 28-32 tops, but i'm a lead foot lol and i soooooooo love sport on the gearbox and suspension :) :)

the big old girl can certainly fly lol!!!

Here's a bit of trick I've noticed for increasing the old MPG's - switch the heating off! If like me you do very short journey's to work the car's engine operates partly to provide heat for the cabin so when you stop at the lights instead of the engine running as it's still warming up it cut's out. This also applies to slow moving traffic. In the winter this is particularly noticeable.

Try it yourselves, before the engine temp has reached the midway point when you're sitting at the lights and the engine is running simply press the off button to switch off the heaters and your engine will most likely cut out.

This may seem a little extreme but if you do very short journeys does the car ever really get that warm before you reach your destination? What I do is switch the heating off and switch the heated seats on!

As others have said what MPG's you get really does depend on driving style and the type of road and conditions but I have noticed for me this method can increase my MPG by about 5.

I do the same thing as you have suggested, the only difference is that if and when I do drive at a speed when the engine is un lightly to stop, driving at 35m.p.h + I put the heater just to warm up a bit.

Not leaving the engine running while wiping / scraping the windows also can make a big difference.

One thing I have noticed is that when you do stop, and the engine also stops, if you then put the air con on the engine does not start up, I assume that the air con must work from the batteries rather from the engine.

The Lexus hybrids all have electric aircon units so the engine isn't required to be running.

The Prius in the US has a big thermos flask, when you turn off the engine the coolant is pumped into the flask, then in the morning when you turn on the car it is pumped back into the engine so you have a much quicker warm up time. Shame they haven't implemented that system on the GS/RX or even the Prius in the UK

• 2 weeks later...

The Lexus hybrids all have electric aircon units so the engine isn't required to be running.

The Prius in the US has a big thermos flask, when you turn off the engine the coolant is pumped into the flask, then in the morning when you turn on the car it is pumped back into the engine so you have a much quicker warm up time. Shame they haven't implemented that system on the GS/RX or even the Prius in the UK

Do you guys use the tiptronic to slow the car down ? harvest the energy back into the Battery, slightly higher corner speed so less fuel burned to recover speed and cleaner front wheels ! Works for me and makes me think about the road.

Wouldnt using the tipronic to slow the car disipate more energy through the engine, and thereby leave less to be gathered by regeneration.

I know the energy dial goes further into regeneration when using a lower speed on the auto box, but it seems to me to move much more when the brake is pressed for regeneration.

As for cornering, I tend to use the racing line and near the limit of grip in bends. Maybe squeeling the tyres isnt such a good idea, but it is fun.

Love it! I'm sorry Officer for flying around that blind corner. It was because I was trying to minimise loss of energy and keep the momentum, all in the name of giving me improved mpg and lots of tall yellow lines on my fancy screen!

Love it! I'm sorry Officer for flying around that blind corner. It was because I was trying to minimise loss of energy and keep the momentum, all in the name of giving me improved mpg and lots of tall yellow lines on my fancy screen!

Sorry you have so badly misunderstood this, its all about driving aware, concentrating on the road and not having to stamp on the brake pedal.It improves safety and reduces fuel consumption, no bad thing and not a joke !I spend so much time stuck in jams caused by collisions (not accidents) as a result of bad driving.

This thread makes intersesting reading for me. I have a 2006 GS300 SE-L and I watch my MPG carefully.

Around the doors and going to and from work (7 miles each way) I average 25-26 on a tank. On long journeys though the figure is usually around 40 if I refuel at the start of the journey. My record figure was 43 on a journey from Washington to Stamford lincs on the A1 all the way. I had to keep the speed to around 70 and control the speed all the way on cruise control so that I was not using any excessive throttle at all. The return journey on the same trip was 42mpg. Back to work the next week took the figure back down to 26 again.

I plan to change to the GS450h eventually to get my 'around the doors' figure up to at least the mid 30's (and save on road tax).

From what I have read I don't think there is much difference between the 300 and the 450h on long journeys at constant speed, but the 450h scores on short journeys by recuperating the lost energy, as long as a heavy foot and heavy braking is not used all the time which would counteract the benefits.

I have had both cars and although I don’t do much motorway driving I would say that the GS300 was more economical at more that 40mph, because the GS300 is a 3ltr engine and the 450h is a 3.5ltr engine and is a lot heaver, and on a motorway or any road travelling at more than 40 mph the hybrid system does not really help improve mpg. Around town the 450h is just a bit better on mpg than the 300.

Saying all that the 450h is an amazing car, and once you have driven one I doubt the difference in fuel usage will even enter your head.