Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Discs

The-Acre

Just replaced my front discs and pads, as anyone who's done this on an early LS will know, it's very easy, both sides took just over an hour and a half. When I checked the rear discs they looked a bit naff. Are they as easy as the fronts or does it involve taking the hub off etc?

Ta

Phil

Just replaced my front discs and pads, as anyone who's done this on an early LS will know, it's very easy, both sides took just over an hour and a half. When I checked the rear discs they looked a bit naff. Are they as easy as the fronts or does it involve taking the hub off etc?

Ta

Phil

Have a look here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/rbrotor.html

Ta

Phil

Have a look here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/rbrotor.html

Brilliant, thanks Steve you're a star!

if i remember you have to take the handbrake off dont you to get the rear discs off? not physically take the handbrake off just push the handle down!! lol

Yes, except the LS has a foot operated "handbrake" that you release by pulling a handle on the dash. :)

I can confirm that rear discs and pads are easy to change.

The parking brake shoes, on the other hand, are a complete :tsktsk: !

Thanks. BTW, what would be the reason for changing the parking brake shoes? Surely they don't wear out. I don't think I've applied my foot brake more than a handful of times in over 3 years. Maybe I should apply it more often to keep it from seizing?

Thanks. BTW, what would be the reason for changing the parking brake shoes? Surely they don't wear out. I don't think I've applied my foot brake more than a handful of times in over 3 years. Maybe I should apply it more often to keep it from seizing?

The shoes probably didn't need changing to be honest. I just thought I might as well do them while I was doing the discs and pads, and I had no idea if/when they'd been changed before.

You can check the shoes when you take your discs off. If there's still a decent layer of friction material on them then I'd leave them alone!

When I had a rear bearing done on my mk1 GS, the garage advised new park brake shoes. They ordered them in. When they arrived, they realised the new ones were as thin as the old ones, so they changed their minds and sent them back. They are clearly not expected to wear a lot over the years if the new ones are so thin.

Yes the friction material on the new shoes was a lot thinner than on the pads, probably only 2 or 3mm. I guess if you never accidentally drive with the parking brake on then they'll last forever, or until the rust gets to them.

The parking brake shoes have been known to break-up. Also, the parking brake is relatively naff. With a big V8, you'd hardly notice if it was on esp. if the warning light is out.

The parking brake shoes have been known to break-up. Also, the parking brake is relatively naff. With a big V8, you'd hardly notice if it was on esp. if the warning light is out.

Thanks all. I guess I just check them when I replace the discs, and if they look OK, they stay where they are. :)