Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just bought a '94 LS400 with 153,000 miles on the clock and can only echo other contributors' praise on performance, ride, etc. Only little niggle so-far is occasional slight "blip" or "power pulse" when stationary at lights. Anyone think this is worth worrying about? (I had something similar on a Merc E320 with faulty ignition coils but changed the car before I could find out exactly what was happening). Anything more than basic mechanics goes over my head - so gently with the high tech stuff please. Nice to be here by the way.

Hello - the LS400 does seem to have a problem with the aircon causing the engine to speed up. It does this to compensate for the extra load on the engine, but I have found on 3 of the 5 LS400s that it can be a nuisance on one car I often felt I was braking against the engine. On my present 95 car with 137k I often turn off the aircon to prevent this. Lexus service have never admitted a problem. This may not be what you mean by 'blip' Regards

Thanks for the info. The speed up in revs seems to be of short duration - maybe a couple of seconds at most - thats why I called it a blip - but I imagine it must be the aircon compensation thing you mention. I found myself pressing the brake a tiny bit harder a couple of times to prevent creep. I don't see this as a major problem and I'm relieved it doesn't mean some megabuck problem with my particular engine.

Funny enough it's happened to me a couple of times waiting at lights, I actually looked in my rear view mirror thinking someone has tail ended me. (95 N 105,0000. I will have to check now to see if it is only when Air is on.

Good, then it's official - the aircon. Thanks moddy - and to everbody else who contributed. As I say, I had it happen on my Merc, so it must be a common phenomenon. I wouldn't have mentioned it, except for the fact that the Lexi engine is so smooth otherwise. It is one of just a couple of niggles I have with the car - the other being that I don't seem to be able to get a touch-up kit that matches my colour - champagne. anybody know where I can get this other than going to Lexus?

under your hood there is the chassis plate... look for the paint code

then take this in to a auto store and ask for them to make up the paint from the code. They should be able to make up a touch up pot for you

£3 i paid!

Thanks. Just a few chips on front edge of hood. I tried a wax "crayon" thing but it looked fine from one direction - lousy from the other. I'll do as you say. Any thoughts on shot-blasting/re-laquering wheels?

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm I have the same problem. Surges when the aircon kicks in and sometimes feels like you are breaking against the engine when stopping at lights junctions etc..(an ind3ed nywhere else one might wish to stop!!).

Just had mine serviced and new calipers and pads fitted and its running a dream ecxept for this surging. So I can either suffer it or Roast in our "Summer".....choices choices!!...lol