Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sometimes my 1996 Lexus will not start when i put the ignition key in all the dash lights up the steering wheel moves into position, when i turn the key i just get a click and the dash lights go out. After several attemps it starts ok, i had a new key cut and it hs not happened since yet!!! CAN ANYONE HELP

If its intermittent, I concur with the Battery connection theory as a first check anyway.

Just because some of the electric stuff works doesn't mean the connections are as good as they should be, well worth the 5 mins required to check.

Hope you get it fixed.

Sounds like the load of the starter is causing a voltage drop, as the dash lights go out, so it's worth checking for either a bad Battery, or a bad Battery connection, at either Battery post or where the negative cable goes to the body of the car/ engine block

Sometimes my 1996 Lexus will not start when i put the ignition key in all the dash lights up the steering wheel moves into position, when i turn the key i just get a click and the dash lights go out. After several attemps it starts ok, i had a new key cut and it hs not happened since yet!!! CAN ANYONE HELP

Sounds like the load of the starter is causing a voltage drop, as the dash lights go out, so it's worth checking for either a bad battery, or a bad battery connection, at either battery post or where the negative cable goes to the body of the car/ engine block

As all the above, try a diffenent known good Battery

When I had a similar problem with a previous car I found all the electrics worked until I tried to start it and all I got was a clicking sound. When I checked the Battery terminals I found that the + one was hot because it had been sparking due to poor connection. So what the others have said sounds very likely.

Mine did exactly the same about a month after I rebuilt the starter motor and my 1st thought was **** I've got to get back in there. But it was a loose Battery terminal so a quick nip with a 10mm spanner and been good since.

Be gentle with the spanner,don't snap the Battery post off and put some copper grease on the post/terminals.