Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Re-Programming Used Smart Key

Chris2011

Hi, has anyone had any luck re-programming a used smart key fob?

When I bought my car it only had 1 key fob so i purchased one off eBay which came from a salvaged car. I made sure it was the same part number fob and from a car of similar age to mine but after 2 trips to a lexus dealer they have been unable to programme it to the car.

I would be grateful of any advice good or bad as if you can't re-programme a used fob I will have to save the pennies and purchase a new one from Lexus.

Thankyou Chris

Chris,

A bit more if might be prudent to ensure a reply..

Car model, year etc etc..?

Car details are in his info on the left, 07 IS220d.

Andy

Hi All,

I have purchased a denso 14aac key of e-bay & a Toyota smart key-maker but had no joy ! I'm booked into go to the dealer on Saturday to re-programme the key onto the car they are charging £59 lets see how it goes.

Is220d 2006

Regards

Jed

Jed,

Hope it all goes well on saturday and you will be able to post back a way to solve this problem! I have 2 questions though?

1. Have you managed to blank your eBay key or is it still programmed to another car?

2. Do you have both of your original fobs that were programmed to the car?

The reason for my questions are during my visits to Lexus they were unable to re-programme the key to the car as it had been programmed to another car. If it was blank it can be easily programmed to the car and then on my last visit I had read you could try an ECU master reset but when they took it in to try and do it, as I never had both original keys they unfortunately had no success.

Regards

Chris

07. IS220d

Hi Jed,

To be fair to the Lexus dealer I went to I think I was the first person to ask about re-programming a used key therefore I was grateful they were willing to give it go not once but twice and as we never had any success they never charged me for the time.

Hopefully your dealer has had some experience of re-programming used keys because someone out there must have done it as I couldn't find anywhere people saying not to buy used keys as they can't be re-programmed.

I too thought lexus would be able to blank keys and maybe your dealer has a way of doing this but it might be an idea to phone them and let them know it is a used key you want re-programmed.

Regards

Chris

Well guys

Give this guy a try

gets them cut with the Lexus logo on then just transfers all the internals from the old/broken key cost each key £30

i got two done and they work a treat phone number for Andy really nice guy 07732 507086 he is based in Gloucester but i am sure he can help you

out where ever you are worth a call

Dave

The problem is the key is Lost so can't take the internals from the old one which is easy to do. It's the re-programming & blanking and adding to the car ECU that's the difficult bit.

There is a local shop who claim they can do this but I frankly would not trust anyone to do this except at the dealer otherwise you could easily find your car going AWOL a few days later.

Jed

If the shop claim they can re-programme the keys maybe they have a way of blanking the keys. If you can get it blanked then your lexus dealer can easily re-programme it for you to the car.

Chris

Ok They could not do it :angry: because the key was second hand and already programmed to a car, they said it had to be unpaired 1st. So it means I'm stuffed have to get a new one for £250+

Let that be a warning don't waste you money buying spare of eBay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

1 hour ago, studatelya said:

I was told all you have to do to blank a key is rub it with a magnet

That must be quite strong magnet, so that while rubbing the key you can affect car ECU as well.