Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petrol

Ch1p

normal is fine

dont use crapy supermarket fuel.....

i use fuel magnets and decent petrol and put a fuel cleaner in it evry 6 months i get 24 around town

Morrisons fuel ("normal" not super) has served me well in both GS300 and GS430 for over 9 years.

24 mpg around town in a 4.3 V8 292bhp car weighing 1.75 tonne.......surprised Lexus don't fit the magnets as standard they might have sold more if they could achieve 24 instead of 16 urban/around town. :whistling: :winky:

By "Fuel Cleaner" I assume you actually mean "Fuel SYSTEM Cleaner"

i used to sel l alfa romeos and we advised our customer not to use smarket fuel as it would put the engine mg lite on , this does not happen on decent fuel only on s/m petrol ?????????

as for cleaner yes fuel system cleaner ..why dont you try some magnets and say bp fuel and see it will cost you 35 pounds and if they dont work i will refund you for the magnets

i used to sel l alfa romeos and we advised our customer not to use smarket fuel as it would put the engine mg lite on , this does not happen on decent fuel only on s/m petrol ?????????

as for cleaner yes fuel system cleaner ..why dont you try some magnets and say bp fuel and see it will cost you 35 pounds and if they dont work i will refund you for the magnets

I am amazed that you say that petrol from supermarkets will put the engine management light on!! Hasn't caused it to happen to any of my cars (never had an Alfa though) and I would think it must be a real rarity for that to happen if you consider the many thousands of cars which run happily on this fuel without any issues......maybe it was something to do with the cars you sold?

To the OP......Take no notice of this rubbish regarding supermarket fuel......it works just fine and has caused no problems with my GS430 in over 3 years!

Regards Dave

if you think supermarket fuel is the same as say bp shell etc them that is your perogative

but i have been dealing in cars for over 20 yrs and alfas are not the only car that suffers from probs with cheap fuel .. if u think they (sm) get there fuel cheaper than a reg garage that has the same size underground tanks then u are mistaken ....i have even written to flop gear asking them to do a test on fuels but got no where.

why is it when any body put a constructive critisisum on a forum someone slams you down !

Not slamming you down fella, just trying to assure the OP that supermarket fuel is perfectly OK to use. It conforms to required standards and accounts for around 40% of petrol sales in UK. Many years ago when supermarkets initially started to sell petrol some cars did suffer problems with carbs silting up and higher carbon deposits on top ends. Times change and supermarket fuel is far cleaner now and also modern engines are able to cope very effectively with the slight variations between both different supermarket fuels and different branded fuels, all of which have different additives whether detergents or whatever. There is no getting away from the fact that if supermarket petrol was that bad how is it that such a high percentage of petrol is supplied through their pumps? My GS 300 reached around 146k without needing a decoke, similarly Rover 827Si, Audi 100, XJ6, wife's Persona SRi.....totalling over 700k miles without any fuel related issues.

There is no reason whatsoever why a well maintained car should have problems caused by using any brand of petrol. I would think that any issues with the cars you used to sell were not actually caused by fuel brand issues.

Not slamming you down fella, just trying to assure the OP that supermarket fuel is perfectly OK to use. It conforms to required standards and accounts for around 40% of petrol sales in UK. Many years ago when supermarkets initially started to sell petrol some cars did suffer problems with carbs silting up and higher carbon deposits on top ends. Times change and supermarket fuel is far cleaner now and also modern engines are able to cope very effectively with the slight variations between both different supermarket fuels and different branded fuels, all of which have different additives whether detergents or whatever. There is no getting away from the fact that if supermarket petrol was that bad how is it that such a high percentage of petrol is supplied through their pumps? My GS 300 reached around 146k without needing a decoke, similarly Rover 827Si, Audi 100, XJ6, wife's Persona SRi.....totalling over 700k miles without any fuel related issues.

There is no reason whatsoever why a well maintained car should have problems caused by using any brand of petrol. I would think that any issues with the cars you used to sell were not actually caused by fuel brand issues.

Hi,I have used supermarket petrol for the last 12 years,as the nearest filling station to me is a supermarket one,in that time I have owned a Mazda 626,2 Mazda Xedos 6's and 2 Lexus IS 200's and have had no fuel related problem or issues(although in the last couple of years have only used the super unleaded),so i really dont see what the fuss is all about.Apparently the like of Esso and Morrisons etc all get their fuel from the same supplier,the main difference thereafter being the additives that are subsequently put in.

• 2 months later...

still getting 23.4 mpg from sc430 2.2 miles from work to home and back and 1 run 8 miles down motorway and back ???????? magnets rule

Yep i have used supermarket fuel for years..... never a problem and tesco super is good and i know years ago tesco fuel was esso, dunno about these days tho, but its fine

Supermarket fuel tended to be a little cheaper than mainstream brands but I have recently noticed some supermarkets are more expensive than the mainstream sellers.

I got a little fed up with ever increasing fuel prices so bought this on Fleabay for a few ££££s.

100202oilrefinery.jpg

still getting 23.4 mpg from sc430 2.2 miles from work to home and back and 1 run 8 miles down motorway and back ???????? magnets rule

What are magnets (in this context), where do you get them and how do you use them?

• 2 months later...

In the past I never considered which petrol station I refuelled in - cheapest was best in my view.

We also own a Saab 93 Sportswagen (family car and the perfect vehicle to put our dog in), an RX8 (great handling car but ultra cheap now),

and a Toyota Aygo (our daughters car who obviously doesn't know where the fuel cap is!).

Supermarket fuel may have had a bad press a number of years ago and although they may have now improved and meet the required 'quality standards', I nevertheless try to shop elsewhere.

My concern is not just related to motoring, but also trying to support local businesses in our area.

If I can support a locally owned business, even a little, then I feel I should my bit and pay a little extra!

What are magnets (in this context), where do you get them and how do you use them?

A total waste of money, They are normal magnets that clamp on your fuel line and supposed to make your car better on fuel...

Thats if you can find it for all the flying pigs...LOL.

search on you tube or google for fuel magnets.

I bought a couple of magnet on ebay for my Is200... Problem is t that i'm NOT sure where to instal it :whistling: . sorry..

Will be happy if I cud get some help. Thanks

Best place to install them is probably your waste bin......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a couple of magnet on ebay for my Is200... Problem is t that i'm NOT sure where to instal it :whistling: . sorry..

Will be happy if I cud get some help. Thanks put them on the incomig fuel pipe as close to the inj rail as poss i swear by them

i have just picked up a honda insight and for 2 weeks i got 56 ave put fuel additive and magnet on now 62 ave

i see that the govnmt now want from 2013 even more bi ethonol in our petrol some supermarkets already put upto 5% in .. and according to audi their fsi engine could be damaged on this much ethonol

Since 2010, fuel companies have been legally obliged to mix 5% bioethanol with 95% petrol so for you to state "some supermarkets already put up to 5% in" is totally misleading

Are Audi saying 5% could damage their engine or the new % which you say the govt want?

Petrol containing 10% bioethanol has been permitted since January 2011 although petrol pumps dispensing petrol with over 5% have to have a prominent notice on them. Not sure where 2013 comes into this since 5% fuel will apparently be available until at least 2015.

• 3 months later...

Magnets - don't work and never will. You'd wonder why the auto industry spends billions of pounds a year on efficiency if it could be solved by a £2 magnet. The only effect they have is psychological - so save yourself some money and just be lighter with your right foot.

Petrol - supermarket petrol comes from exactly the same refineries as BP, Shell, Esso or any other oil companies. Its not a cheap version of petrol other than the price and if anyone states any different they are talking crap. In fact, due to the high turnover, it could actually be of better quality than some that has been sitting in a tank of a quiet village station for some time. Quality and maintenance of the tanks are key to the quality but it's always the same stuff that goes into them whether it's Esso, Shell or a supermarket (apart from the already mentioned points of additives)

Magnets - don't work and never will. You'd wonder why the auto industry spends billions of pounds a year on efficiency if it could be solved by a £2 magnet. The only effect they have is psychological - so save yourself some money and just be lighter with your right foot.

Petrol - supermarket petrol comes from exactly the same refineries as BP, Shell, Esso or any other oil companies. Its not a cheap version of petrol other than the price and if anyone states any different they are talking crap. In fact, due to the high turnover, it could actually be of better quality than some that has been sitting in a tank of a quiet village station for some time. Quality and maintenance of the tanks are key to the quality but it's always the same stuff that goes into them whether it's Esso, Shell or a supermarket (apart from the already mentioned points of additives)

Absolutely right. In fact Tesco premium was so good some main stream providers had to up their RON rating to match it.

Your also quite right to point out the benifits of high turnover in keeping stored fuel clean. I am not sure where 'hondansx' gets his information but i have a feeling its from American web sites. Some of them actually believe this rubbish about fuel in supermarkets and spurious fuel saving devices like magnets. Anyone who even thinks they are going to help fuel economy or power production didnt do physics at school or didnt do it well.

Its often noticeable that those who sell cars dont know much about them. They just know about selling them. I dont know how they get away with it sometimes.

I have been driving for 50 years and I used supermarket fuel whenever available. With no problems what so ever on some very high performance cars including Audi's.. I did have an Alpha too once but it broke down the day after I bought it without using supermarket fuel and I got my money back from the dealer. !!

I just drove my SC 430 on a 520 miles round trip and achieved around 30mpg the tank was filled at Morrisons at the start and did over 250 miles at half a tank. On top of that i had a discount of 12p a litre as my wife did the shopping there.. Bargain.

• 2 months later...

Just add to my last. drove my 430SC (6) from Surrey to Yorkshire recently on supermarket fuel. Morrison's on start and Tesco's on the way back. motor way speeds lots of overtaking an 30mpg. Thats just excellent.

for 4.3 V8.

I wont Use anything else if I can get it. never have never will pay for over priced fuel. Those that do dont know anything about engines or fuel and even less about marketing fuel.

Alpha, Audi, Lexus, Ford or Rolls Royce they all obey the same engineering principles. People who sell fuel have to follow them. They wouldnt last long if they didn't.

Its not rocket science but it is science and therefore it is predictable. Only car dealers make up this crap and we should be informed about them, it seems to me 'hondansxr' is one of them. What he knows about cars isnt really worth knowing. His views on fuel are in fact laughable

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links