Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid Vs Electric Cars

Steve

Funnily enough, I'm doing a PhD along the lines of this topic. As part of my research, I'm involved with a team developing hybrid powertrain for a certain automotive group based in the West Midlands :whistling:

Having driven a prototype Smart Fortwo Electric, a prototype Mini-E, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev, Prius, Insight, and the FCX Clarity, my vote goes to electric cars just for driveability alone. By having maximum torque from zero RPM meant that the Smart out-accelerated many turbo-diesels up to 30mph. And because all of its weighty Battery cells were sandwiched inside the floorpan, it handled ridiculously well too.

But for everyday use, I'm afraid its still hybrids for now, of which the Prius gets my vote. Its powertrain is still the industry benchmark and the hybrid synergy drive is simply a work of art (to me at least! :lol:)

I definatly see electric being the future, its been a long time in the making but as soon as they sort out the range between charges we will see a lot more electric cars around.

But the price of the car definatly has to come down.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see the point on electric cars, firstly if every car owner had to charge their car in this country surely we're have to build extra power plants, demand more fossil fuels or nuclear to meet demand, and release more emissions in the process. Hybrid does seem a step forward though, some interesting stuff about Thorium being used to power a car and only 8 grams is needed to power a car for years very interesting stuff. Here is the link, very interesting: http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/8-grams-of-thorium-could-replace-gasoline-in-cars-20110812/

Oil will not run out anytime soon, Falklands, Mexico has more than Saudi Arabia hidden underneath just a case of drilling into it. I'm sure after all this technology someone will probably event a way to neutralise all emissions.