Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken Wheel Locking Nut Bolt On Is220D

Had a flat tire and I tried to put the spare on. When I used some force to loosen the nut with the security locking bolt the bolt pentagon shape broke. It's Sunday and can't call any shop to see if they do carry universal removers. Do I have to get one from Lexus? If anyone has the part # I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Anthos

Are you in the RAC,AA or other breakdown organisation as they should be able to help.

Sounds like some one over torqued the wheel nuts the last time.

Thanks steve2006. The car is in my garage and I tried to put the spare on as I have somewhere to be tomorrow at 7:30, 50 kms away. The wheel shops do tend to use the air compressor tools to tighten the nuts so I guess you're right. I tried finding the part # at toyodiy.com but can't seem to find it.

I guess it's my wife's Renault Scenic 1.6 for my trip tomorrow :)

Thanks again.

All the locking wheel nuts are individual. If you have the original case they came in you can get a replacement. I know it doesn't help to get the wheel off, but you need the unique serial number printed on a card that came with the nuts, then you can get an identical replacement, other wise you need a complete new set of locknuts and a key, and you still need to get the other 3 off.

A lot of dodgy backstreet garages will just knock a tight fitting socket over the wheelnut with a hammer and try to get it off that way.

All the locking wheel nuts are individual. If you have the original case they came in you can get a replacement. I know it doesn't help to get the wheel off, but you need the unique serial number printed on a card that came with the nuts, then you can get an identical replacement, other wise you need a complete new set of locknuts and a key, and you still need to get the other 3 off.

A lot of dodgy backstreet garages will just knock a tight fitting socket over the wheelnut with a hammer and try to get it off that way.

Thanks for the reply Northern. That's exactly the answer I got from Lexus. They will also need about 2 weeks :) Although understandable from their point of view, I can;t simply leave the car immobilized for 2 weeks. The wheel shop gave me the choice of CO2 welding another nut on top of mine with the risk of damaging the rims ): He also told me that I can pump some air in the tube and take it overthere so they can fix the tire and give me some breathing space to decide what to do.

I have found this on ebay and the seller assured me it will work. I'm thinking of fixing the tire, order the above item and then remove all 4 security nuts and replace them with normal ones. Down here, nobody steals wheels. In the rare case of stealing, it's the whole car and my car is locked in my garage anyway...

I also had a massive problem with my 53 Plate is200 with the security locking wheelnuts. When I bought the car in April part of the deal was new tyres

The tyre fitter used an hammer impact airgun and when I got a puncture - fortunately at home - I found that the internal locking "key" had been totally destroyed. Lister Lexus in Cheltenham delivered their own Locknut Key to me that evening so I could change the wheel. When re-assembling use "Coppaease" grease on the wheel back face and wheel studs. Fully tighten the normal wheel nuts, just "nip" the anti theft locknut up and check everything after 100 miles