Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Warranty (Extended)

lanmeister

I have a 08 plate 220d sport, which I bought with heavy mileage 75k in summer 2010 from a main dealer. It came with a years warranty as part of the Lexus used car service. No problems in my first year of ownership, I do around 20k a year, time for renewal of warranty post 1st year, cost not cheap £760 / yr and around £200 less with Warranty direct and a few other warranty companies. I decide after much to and fro on whether the expense is worth it in these times of money being tight, to go with the Lexus warramty on a monthly direct debit.

Mid Sept normal days driving, notice cooler fan for the engine is coming on whilst driving !? Ignore it for that journey .... however happens again on way home, decide to pop the lid, no coolant in the reservoir !!! Check radidator, pink gunk everywhere, sure fire sign of a leak ... Call lexus assistance, they send the man from the AA to check it over, he confirms leak and says take to garage.

Ring local Lexus dealer, no problem sir, under warranty !!! bring it in we will look at it and fix the leak. 20 mins after dropping it off, get a call from them saying it needs a full engine rebuild, head gasket has gone, EGR valve, etc etc .... Imagine my relief, not even paid 1 month of the DD on the warranty and it is in need of the engine to be rebuilt.

They had the car for a week, nice new Lexus given as a replacement and the cost for the work £4k !!!!! phew (labour was at £80/hr for 26 hours of work), without the warranty I would have struggled to have had that work done and would probably have to right the car off, I am sure I could have argued with Lexus that the car was just outside it's warranty period etc, but what a relief, no questions asked and the work was done.

The car is transformed, feels smooth, plenty of power, mpg has gone up 60 miles per tank, just is like a new car, so pleased with the result and my luck in getting the warranty and this happening at the time it did.

The new engine build has paid for 6 years worth of warranties back to back, so the crux of the story, if you can, get the warranty as when a Lexus goes wrong it goes wrong big time !

The car has done just under 103k mileage, so technically I can assume they could have told me to do one ! Reading posts on here, others have had similar problems, with a lot less mileage and under 7yrs old and no warranty, having to cough up the cash ?! Still happy with the warranty and level of service which was / has been excellent.

• 2 months later...

Can anybody let me know how I find out more about the 7 year warranty. Having problems with head gasket. No overheating but leaking coolant and heater not working correctly and a possible £5k bill.

Cheers.

Can anybody let me know how I find out more about the 7 year warranty. Having problems with head gasket. No overheating but leaking coolant and heater not working correctly and a possible £5k bill.

Cheers.

Look through the listings there are 2 quite large posts relating to Head Gasket issues and reference is made to the 7 year/110,000 mile warranted extension.

Thanks for the help.

The problem I've got now is that I'm getting 2 stories from Lexus.

1. It's the erg valve which now has the extended warranty but my car doesnt have the rights codes in the ems.

But this would support the discoloured water in the pump which is a so called symptom but wouldnt support the heaters not working and it was explained the car would over heat. Which it wasn't doing and no error lights came on in the dash.

Or 2. It's the cylinder head which explains the heaters not working but not the discolured water in the water pump.

Either way I'm waiting for Lexus to confirm if they'll authorise the work.

Still can believe it seems to be a common fault with this model but an easy answer isn't forth coming.

Hoping the commended "customer service" kicks in but still dissapointed I'm still having this trouble and possible expense with a 4 year old premium car.

Will keep you posted of developments.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help.

The problem I've got now is that I'm getting 2 stories from Lexus.

1. It's the erg valve which now has the extended warranty but my car doesnt have the rights codes in the ems.

But this would support the discoloured water in the pump which is a so called symptom but wouldnt support the heaters not working and it was explained the car would over heat. Which it wasn't doing and no error lights came on in the dash.

Or 2. It's the cylinder head which explains the heaters not working but not the discolured water in the water pump.

Either way I'm waiting for Lexus to confirm if they'll authorise the work.

Still can believe it seems to be a common fault with this model but an easy answer isn't forth coming.

Hoping the commended "customer service" kicks in but still dissapointed I'm still having this trouble and possible expense with a 4 year old premium car.

Will keep you posted of developments.

Cheers.

If you have discoloured water (ie water mixed with oil producing an emulsion look)and engine takes an age to warm.. then I would suspect the cylinder head would be the problem. It should be a new Short engine fix and away you go again. This is a known issue to Lexus, hence the warranted extension to 110,000 miles or 7 years. Mine went at 106,000 miles, thought I had an exhaust problem!!

Keep us posted on how it develops.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just to let you know the excellent "customer service" did kick in. After a few nervous days, I received a call authorising all the corrective work to be carried out.

It took about 3 or 4 days but got the car back and its now night and day. Cant thank the staff at Lexus and in particular Lexus Edinburgh enough. Very professional, courteous and understanding.

Only done about 100 miles since the fix but couldnt be happier.