Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

09 Reg Is220D, Spinning Noise From Clutch Or Transmissiion

latwow

Hi guys:

Since my last topic, I have found another noise, please see the video I have uploded, the noise appears at 00:05 in the video.

There is a spinning noise from either the clutch or the transmission, Im not sure where exactly.

It happens when I change from 1st gear to 2nd, right after I step down the clutch.

The noise will also appear when I change from reverse to neutral.

sometimes, I can hear it when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear, but after 3rd gear, its gone.

I have poped into both lexus dealers near my area, one in salford, one in stockport, technicians from both dealerships ran a trip with the car, and they are both claiming that the noise is normal for the IS220 diesel engine. What they said was that the noise is from the transmission and many other customers also found this noise.

Just for my peace of mind, please can anyone had any experiences in dealing with this noise or it is absolutely normal like I have been told?

P.S. I just had the clutch bearing and cover replaced last week.

Thanks!!

I've got the same noise in my 07 plate from time-to-time (I don't always notice it now I guess). Bristol have told me it's normal, and they had the car for a week at the beginning of last month, so I would've thought if there was a problem related they would've told me.. Certainly told me about the other problems it had :blink:

Hi guys:

Since my last topic, I have found another noise, please see the video I have uploded, the noise appears at 00:05 in the video.

There is a spinning noise from either the clutch or the transmission, Im not sure where exactly.

It happens when I change from 1st gear to 2nd, right after I step down the clutch.

The noise will also appear when I change from reverse to neutral.

sometimes, I can hear it when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear, but after 3rd gear, its gone.

I have poped into both lexus dealers near my area, one in salford, one in stockport, technicians from both dealerships ran a trip with the car, and they are both claiming that the noise is normal for the IS220 diesel engine. What they said was that the noise is from the transmission and many other customers also found this noise.

Just for my peace of mind, please can anyone had any experiences in dealing with this noise or it is absolutely normal like I have been told?

P.S. I just had the clutch bearing and cover replaced last week.

Thanks!!

Yes got the same noise when I change gears. If you change quickly you don't get that noise or not notice it, but if you have got the clutch depressed for a little longer and you take the time to change, you do hear that noise.

I have owned a 2006 220D SEL since June 2007 and it has always had it. Its also in the courtesy cars they provided me! So I guess its a common issue, but its very odd that it exists. I had a VW diesel helpsbefore and did not notice such noise.

Hope it

Hi guys:

I am so glad to see all your replies, they helped to clear my mind a lot.

Just something more to add:

My clutch release bearing as well as the cover were replaced a week ago at lexus manchester, but I dont not think that the noise was sorted.

(but a new set of bearing and cover does sort out the chartering noise when the clutch was in normal posiion)

I then drive to lexus stockport, and technicians there also claimed its normal.

Finally, I poped into my trusted local garage, ask them to drive, guess what, they siad the same thing, nornal!

So im now learning to live with it. I personally found that when in colder weathers, the noise seems to be quiter.

Appreciate for all your responses and good luck!

Just had my car serviced, but in addition, had the transmission fluid changed to Amsoil/Honda MTF, which has made it a bit smoother. The mech also inspected the clutch squeak and said it was NOT the release bearing. The whole clutch unit was very dry and it was probably the pressure plate fingers themselves (new). He tried to lube the metal to metal contact points but cannot get to all of it or see if was the DMF or release bearing shaft which is the cause of my woes. Overall, it is now a little lighter and smoother but still has the "ker-chunk" when releasing the clutch every now and then. The rattle is now damped a little.

Just had my car serviced, but in addition, had the transmission fluid changed to Amsoil/Honda MTF, which has made it a bit smoother. The mech also inspected the clutch squeak and said it was NOT the release bearing. The whole clutch unit was very dry and it was probably the pressure plate fingers themselves (new). He tried to lube the metal to metal contact points but cannot get to all of it or see if was the DMF or release bearing shaft which is the cause of my woes. Overall, it is now a little lighter and smoother but still has the "ker-chunk" when releasing the clutch every now and then. The rattle is now damped a little.

Hey:

Glad to hear that yours is getting a little better.

Since the clutch dearing and cover were both replaced in september, I felt the pedal is lighter than it was before.

very interesting to find that the noise is gone since, em, I can not recall when exactly, but I would say since the weather became colder.

Ufortunately the good news didn't last long. The pedal is heavy again and the rattle is as before. I am thinking it's the scored release bearing shaft, although most people just seem to take Lexus word for it and believe it is 'normal' for a prestige car to have rattling clutch and crunching gearbox.

Hey:

Glad to hear that yours is getting a little better.

Since the clutch dearing and cover were both replaced in september, I felt the pedal is lighter than it was before.

very interesting to find that the noise is gone since, em, I can not recall when exactly, but I would say since the weather became colder.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links