Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Vsc & Slip Indicator Light

jeagle

I have a 2005 registered GS300 and yesterday whilst driving in normal road conditions the screen came up with "CHECK VSC" and the slip indicator light and engine warning is lit. I rang Lexus and they want £80 to run the checks. I've had a look on the web and there seems to be a number of possibilities. I fear that Lexus will use this as an excuse to give me a large bill if I take it into them.(I've already had an experience whereby they want to charge me £600/bulb for Xenon which I sourced quite easily for £35) The manual seems to indicate that the problem is not serious implying that traction control will be switched off and assisted hill start which hardly sound life threatening. I wonder if it would really fail an MOT? I certainly dont want to pay out £3000 as someone has suggested to remove this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2005 registered GS300 and yesterday whilst driving in normal road conditions the screen came up with "CHECK VSC" and the slip indicator light and engine warning is lit. I rang Lexus and they want £80 to run the checks. I've had a look on the web and there seems to be a number of possibilities. I fear that Lexus will use this as an excuse to give me a large bill if I take it into them.(I've already had an experience whereby they want to charge me £600/bulb for Xenon which I sourced quite easily for £35) The manual seems to indicate that the problem is not serious implying that traction control will be switched off and assisted hill start which hardly sound life threatening. I wonder if it would really fail an MOT? I certainly dont want to pay out £3000 as someone has suggested to remove this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mine has done the samething tonight the skid light for traction with warning triangle and in the display vsc,ecb and pcs system. I have had a look on the web also and can't find an answer. Think it must have something to do with the brake pads or a sticking calliper so will have a look at the brake fluid level to see if it has dropped due to the low pads. Don't also want to put it in to Lexus. Mines a 34k gs450h on a 06

• 9 months later...

Depending on the code, it might be a simple fix or a bit more expensive.

Thanks to the guys over on Club Lexus in the US, I went from fearing (after a goodwill dealer computer hook-up) I was looking at £1500+ for the O2 sensor and upgraded ECU replacement repair, to a post-CAT O2 sensor when a second non-dealer level computer was connected, to finally a tightening of the "gas" cap!

Yes, two previous fill ups from first purchase resulted in nothing, but the dash lit up a while after low fuel light did.

Only for the CL guys, and at the second mechanic's suggestion of replacing with NGK ones (which NGK says they don't do for this model - contradicting the fact NGK US has both of them listed [pre and post]) not turning anything up, I was almost ready to buy OE ones from some eBay seller in Birmingham at £120, iirc. Much the same as Blueprint pricing, and quite a saving over the dealer price of £185+VAT!

So, tightened filler cap 5 clicks, with a bit of pressure, and after 3 starts and stops of the engine over a 4-5 hour period, the lights disappeared.

Normally, I'd always do 1 or 2 clicks with the cap, but no downward pressure when I had the Honda, so it wasn't something I wasn't doing automatically anyway - but it just goes to demonstrate the simplest of things can throw up a code.

From what I understand, Lexus US changed the gas cap part number, which normally signifies a change in the part or a different supplier (if not both), but I'm not sure where the UK is on that.

Subsequent refills, after the reserve light has been on, and estimated range under 20 miles, have gone without any further hitch, as I'm now doing the extra clicks and wee bit of pressure.

So, for future members, if you run into this issue, try the petrol cap first, and a few stop starts with driving around a bit between them - if the lights no longer remain after system check completes, then you're in the clear.

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem on a 2007 Gs300. The lights first came on 24/8 and after turning the engine on and off a couple of times, lights cleared. They came back on 14/9, again later cleared after turning engine off, and restarting. On both these occasions I had refuelled the day before so may be some credence to the petrol cap theory. The lights came on again 9/10/12, but after stop n start have gone off again. After the second incident I did take it to Lexus, and diagnosed 2 x oxygen sensors and ECU , at the high end cost. Whilst I trust the Lexus dealer, I must ask the question, the code that is produced to identify an oxygen sensor fault, does not actually prove that the oxygen sensor is ' faulty' . What has caused the oxygen sensor to produce this code, and why does it keep clearing itself if there is an oxygen sensor/ ECU fault. It is only to easy to pay £2k+ to rectify the fault, when as you point out it could be down to fuel, fuel cap seal, anything really Could set this off from what I read on the Internet, particularly the Lexus Us sites

So where else could you go, and be able to trust to get the sensors analysed, and why can you not just replace the one defective sensor?

IT IS NOT DUFF O2 SENSORS & ECU "UPGRADE" REQUIRED!!!

It IS the petrol cap, plain and simple.

Next time, push down as you twist on, and give it a few extra clicks.

If you're still getting warning lights, buy a new cap first and see if it still remains after that.

For further anecdotal proof the warning systems Lexus have decided to employ being less than thoroughly thought through, I give you the SRS Airbag light.

Mine has been on more than off in recent weeks, without any rhyme or reason, but first appeared when I'd given the car a good thorough wash and rinse, and treatment.

Thought I'd screwed up a parking sensor, but had a stored code cleared the other day, relating to the day I ran out of petrol.

Quickly skipping past that tidbit of numptyism, SRS bag was off when the ex-Toyota mechanic plugged in the baby OBD reader, and after clearing it, plugged in the big £7K Snap on version to see if it could show up anything else.

Nothing showing, they left it at that, and I said I'll see how it went from thereon in.

Still no SRS Airbag light displaying after the System Check has completed - so I can only conclude the timing as coincidental when it appeared, and it was being used to indicate a code stored rather than an actual airbag/PDC sensor issue.

So, don't be sweating bullets just yet - you've two things you can try first before resigning yourself to there being something else at play.

Just be vigilant on the oil level - I'm 3K miles in on mine, nearing the 80K service, and already I've topped up with 1.5L of oil.

Engine will be getting flushed and refilled with 5W-30 or 40, and monitored for consumption then.

If it's still drinking it, then I will be inviting Lexus to prove I don't have the sticky ring issue some Club Lexus members have had, and seems to have resulted in an unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty extension.

I love this car, but as much as there's a number of elements copied from the BMW E65 7 Series from '02, it's nowhere near as informative/smart, and that's before touching upon the asthmatic seat ventilation fitted!

So, to reiterate, put your cheque book down - it's a tad premature to be waving it about, at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Well PJS, thank for your input and help. I took your advice, and put my cheque book away, after reading your comments and those on the US sites. Initially put Son of a Gun silicone spray on the petrol cap rubber seal, and to date, no problems ( hope I'm not tempting feat) but the cap had to be turned with some force to make sure it sealed. So bit the bullet, and have now put a new OEM petrol cap on. It is obvious that the new cap needs a lot less effort to,seal.........so will see how it goes, but just a line to say thanks again.

• 6 years later...

Filled up this morning, noticed the engine and TRC lights on two hours later, checked manual and it advised a visit to a Lexus garage for checking. I had visions of £££££££££ disappearing from my wallet. Read advice in this page and tightened the filler cap. Ergo my wallet made a huge sigh of relief. Thanks to you all.

• Like 1