Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Cleaning

only did it once , ,painstaking process , ,the "clay" is best described as a small lump of chewing gum ,

basically apply some spray lube onto the car then rub the small "clay" piece in circular motion over the paintwork ,

this removes tars & oxidants in preparation for applying a wax coat with good carnuba content

finally apply a sealant coat then relax for 6 months before doing it all again

or cheat like i do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500mls-SHIMMER-PROFESSIONAL-CAR-POLISH-CARNAUBA-WAX-/300467715523?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item45f5457dc3#ht_1080wt_944

gives a great deep shine with very little effort

I find claying to be no harder than polishing or waxing your car. Just make sure you spray the lube liberally over the paintwork before rubbing the clay on, so that you don't mar the paintwork.

I used Meguiars Clay Kit and was pretty happy with the results. It comes with the lube spray and full set of instructions that are easy to follow.

Hi mate we have a 10% off code running and sell the clay bars you need, if you run out of lube the a heavily diluted Meguiars shampoo is a spray bottle works just as well, and we do replacement clay bars on there own. Split the clay bar into 2. Make sure you warm it and soften it in your hands first, don't push to hard on the car the bar will do the work, polish and wax after, you won't believe the results.

Gary

as "lexi200sport" says apply lube liberally and as Gary Maxreflect" say don't lean hard just let the clay bar slip and slide over the surface. if the clay bar is sticking and catching on the paint then ur not using enough lube or ur leaning too hard. if u get a streak of clay on the paint its quite difficult to remove. You will hear and feel the clay bar catching contaminants an this should go smooth. keep lifting the bar up and you will see the contaminants on the bar continually fold these into the bar so that you are always using a fresh piece. also only clay after a good wash don't do it before washing. It works well at removing water marks from windows too.

Excellent advice

and i second it msn-wink.gif

Also, if you EVER drop the clay bay on the ground throw it away DO NOT TRY AND USE IT AGAIN (The only exception might be if you want keep it and use it on your wheels)

Did I mention if you drop it DON'T USE IT AGAIN??? !!!!

• 6 months later...

The Meguiars clay bar kit is top quality and like the guys have said if you drop it through it away. I used it on my 300zx and it got rid of all the tiny particles that were embedded in the paintwork. Its a laborious job but well worth the effort for the final result.

you could use G3 cutting compound but its a really messy job and you risk burning the paint but as long as you keep the mop wet it should be OK.

My wife looked at me as if I was mad when i said I was going to 'clay the car'.

The result was unbelievable, as after the wash, clay, wax, wax and then wax, the shine and smoothness of the paintwork was unbelievable!

Whatever you do - clay that vehicle and enjoy the results!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, how is everyone keeping their car spotless these days with the hosepipe ban? I haven't washed mine since the ban to be honest, and can't bring myself to take it to the commercial car wash, especially after seeing the lads using the same freakin brush to clean the wheels and the bodywork in one go :geek:

Also, how is everyone keeping their car spotless these days with the hosepipe ban? I haven't washed mine since the ban to be honest, and can't bring myself to take it to the commercial car wash, especially after seeing the lads using the same freakin brush to clean the wheels and the bodywork in one go :geek:

No hosepipe ban here, just floods!!

However, if there were, I'd have two choices, waterless Car Polish, eg showroom shine, or my karcher pressure washer fed from a water container.

You could have a water butt fed by your gutters, or apparently you could legally fill a bucket from the tap and use that to supply the pressure washer.

I've used the waterless polish and it's pretty good, very handy for my caravan too, though I doubt I'd risk it on a filthy car.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links