Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howdee again peoples!

Sold my 1996 LS400 yesterday for peanuts. As new owner drove it with me in passenger seat, not a squeak or rattle to be heard. An amazing car. I adored it for the 7½years we were together.

Yesterday I bought a 460 (won't forget the date in a hurry). About five years ago I asked The Boss if I could buy a newer LS when the endowment mortgage paid out and because it seemed so far in the future she said "Of course, Darling". And so I did it, despite a mortgage-shortfall situation. (You have to feel sorry for the financial institution who provided the policy, as they only made £3.9m profit per day last year, after tax.)

The quality of the new car is stunning. Everything works in a silken manner. And the acceleration... And the gizmos...

Now the problem. Two isofix kiddy seats were delivered today but I need to remove the outer two rear headrests. Anyone know how to do this?

Hi,

I don't think this is the answer you really want - but ...

When you tried fitting your new child seats, did you raise the head rests (done with buttons in the rear divider?) They should move far enough out of the way not to be a problem.

To get them in easily, first fit the tube guides that come with the child seats. Then slide the car seats forwards, slip in the isofix bars, and holding the child seat on the car seat, slide the car seat backwards. Wiggle as necessary, and the seat will clip on. Put the car seat all the way back, and that should be that. Obviously, check for the green indicators on each side of the car seats.

I've currently got a Britax duo plus isofix seat, and a Britax Kidfix Isofix seat in the back of my 460, and they slot in and out easily enough. A thin adult can just squeeze into the centre gap in the back.

The only problem they cause me is that sometimes I look into back of the car and wish I could just get into there, sit in a cozy seat, and have a nice sleep myself.

: o )

Ta for taking the trouble to reply.

Had already wrestled with the isofix thingies on The Boss's Merc, so I know they can be a bit of a pain. Managed this afternoon to get the 'click' to happen each time and the green indicators to show, with much puffing & blowing.

But the problem is that the headrest on the Britax seat to be for the seven yr-old, it needs to go higher than the Lexus headrest, even when that is at full height. If one positions the Britax headrest in front of the Lexus one, then the seat is tipped forwards too much. Perhaps I am doing it wrongly?

A 'List Of Approved Cars' came with the seats and I noticed with dismay that the LS460 ain't there. (Older Lexus models are listed.)

Then I noticed in the 460 handbook that it states, "For removal and installation of the head restraint, ask any authorized Lexus dealer or repairer, or another duly qualified and equipped professional." Hmmm...

Meanwhile, if you put the car into cruise control, surely you can nip into the back for forty winks?

Sorry no help on your problem........but I too bought a 460L after running my 96 400 over for 5 years....immedietly noticed increased wind noise....over sensitive brakes....steering vague as if worn

track control arms and steering rack on an old car....jerky [ and far too many ] gearchanges ....especially when cold...stereo not as good...good acceleration but needs higher revs.

all in all the car is noisier...and harder to drive than the series 3 400 I had.....this car has only 10.000 miles on it...my 400 had 203,000 and was noticeably smoother.

I hm trying to Love this car like the 400...but its hard...dont look forward to driving it as much as the 400....

I drove the 460 to Venice recently and wished I was in my old car all the time...

So youre thinkng....sell it and get another 400 ?.... but I dont give up that easy....keep thinking it "must" be a better car....its a 460 for Gods sake....must be " me "

Oh....and it looks Fabulous inside and out.

Whats your Honest opinion over your 400 ?... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ? :tomato:

... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ? :tomato:

I did think when I drove it for the first time that it was [a] no quieter and no better-riding than the 400 (a mere 142,000 miles). Not any worse, just no better.

Have since decided that the ride is slightly better, although a bit too pillowy on 'comfort'.

And the hesitant kick-down is disappointing although attenuated by the rocketship impression when it has picked the right ratio.

I cannot yet make an assessment upon your mental health as I am still terribly in love with the thing, despite the headrest problem which prevents me from taking the kids out when all they are interested in is watching the TV whilst wafting along.

I shall get back to you in a week or two when the honeymoon is over.

And isn't Venice just magic?

Went to local Lexus agent today and they had never been asked to remove rear headrests. Said the seats would have to be dismantled, as headrests were the powered variety. So I have slid the seat cushion as far forward as possible on the side where the kiddy seat headrest stands in front of the Lexus headrest. Kiddy seat still looks a bit too upright to me. Will just have to see what the stroppy six-yr-old has to say...

This thread for the front seat may help - LINK

Assuming the rears are set up in a similar way to the front, it looks like you might need to get the seat out before you'd be able to remove the headrest. Totally bizarre if you ask me, especially as the headrests in other cars are electric but can be removed quite easily!

"despite the headrest problem which prevents me from taking the kids out when all they are interested in is watching the TV whilst wafting along."

There was (is?) a nice Nissan Cube on that site with dvd screens in the front headrest backs.......only £4K....

Wanders off........

"despite the headrest problem which prevents me from taking the kids out when all they are interested in is watching the TV whilst wafting along."

There was (is?) a nice Nissan Cube on that site with dvd screens in the front headrest backs.......only £4K....

Wanders off........

Worked out OK so far... the Stroppy One was so intrigued by the TV that she never noticed the uprightness of her seat.

Continually justifying my new purchase to myself, I was pleased to see an advert for a Vauxhall Astra in today's paper and to note that it cost £6k more than the 460.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links