Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can’T Diagnose Knocking Sound From Front Offside

Step_George

Hi Guys,I bought my IS 22d in June and have been happy with it. About 1 month ago I noticed a knocking sound coming from the front offside when I go over small bumps and pot holes. It’s not a grinding noise and it is not very loud. The drive does not appear to have been affected in any way. I took it to my local garage and they can not find anything lose or wrong with it. I don’t want to start replacing parts in a trial and error way as this will be costly. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I would really appreciate you help. Thanks

The anti roll bar drop links is a common'ish cause, as can be the anti roll bar bushes (just changed those on my GS430 to fix the same problem). The garage need to yank about on stuff with everything under load (i.e. the car sat on all four wheels) to stand any chance of finding the problem.

The anti roll bar drop links is a common'ish cause, as can be the anti roll bar bushes (just changed those on my GS430 to fix the same problem). The garage need to yank about on stuff with everything under load (i.e. the car sat on all four wheels) to stand any chance of finding the problem.

thanks i will start there!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest bigbullhead

I have a similar problem mine does it when I turn left on a hill prior to reversing on my drive,it never does on hard lock or over bumps or potholes

Any answers???

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem and went to garage.They put the car on MOT shaking plate machine. They could not recreate the noise or find any problems. My problem is exactly like the original poster post. It is knocking sound coming from front suspension. It makes noise when you pull away in first gear or at low speed (<20mph). Also happens when going over speed bump etc. It doesn't affect car stability or handling in any shape or form. At the high speed the noise doesn't not exist.

Anyone who replaced top strut mount fixed the issue? or any other suggestion from experience lexus owners please.... :(

This noise is driving me insane.

By the way, I replaced the front anti roll bar bushes about 4 weeks ago, it fixes the squeaking noise when going over bumps. Now this is the different noise. Can these be related?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does it make the noise when you have your foot on the brake?

I had an awful front end noise and suspected anti roll bar. Then found the car was perfectly quiet when I had even very light pressure on brakes. The cause was one anti rattle clip on the front brake pad. It was slightly twisted and not applying sufficient pressure to the pad, so every time I hit a less than perfect surface it would rattle. The noise sounded like it was along the enitre front end and sounded really awful. I simply straightened and re tensioned the clip, now the car is super quiet.......and the Febi A/R bushes I bought in preparation, remain on the shelf!

• 3 months later...

Just looking over some old posts and I got some noise (like I was going over some cobble stones) when driving on flat even road. Started to worry as my ID220D has done over 166666 miles and was starting to think it was coming end of life. Took it to a garage and they checked all the struts, the hub and the joints. Looked like it was going to start hosing money on replacing things that it 'may' by.

As previous poster said, the problem was a loose bolt in the break calliper.

It got tightened up and everything fine. Looks like she has some life left in her yet!

• 2 months later...

I am having trouble sourcing the front and back brake caliper slider Pin/ bolt with rubber dust cover and anti rattle clips for my IS220D 2007. Eurocarpart, eBay, Halford they all don't do it. Any advice on where I can get one will be grateful.

anti rattle clips contact lexus eBay store. For part numbers you can ask any lexus dealer.

brake parts. Co. UK might have the dust cover and parts for cheaper but they might send wrong parts ( happened to me). Send them pictures and all the details so they don't get it wrong.... maybe.

Hi ; Bigg Red list various pins and kits along with their refurb kits .Their web site seems to be having maintenance but you could E mail them at calipers@ biggred.co.uk I have bought from them in the past without problems

Dave

Hi ; Bigg Red list various pins and kits along with their refurb kits .Their web site seems to be having maintenance but you could E mail them at calipers@ biggred.co.uk I have bought from them in the past without problems

Dave

Thanks I contacted Biggred. Their reply was "Unfortunately we do not have any data on slider pin/bolts for Lexus."

Contacted the Lexus Swansea they said they don't have any data on that part either meaning even Lexus don't do slider pin on it own. The guy said it might come with entire caplier but he is not so sure. The entire caliper for each side is about £180. It may or may not come with it.

I don't know why it is so rare for this model because the other car slider pin set cost not more than 10 quid on eBay. The problem is there is a thud noise from front but the noise is gone when applying on the brake lightly. So I presumed something is loose in there and my mechanic told me slider pin are ceased and need replacing. I also noticed there is no shim between pad and caliper carrier.

when I did my brake caliper go is is250, I reused the slid pins. I could remove one the top one but the slower one did not have a head so I couldn't figure out how that is removed. and it wa's the lower has had seized stuck. anyway I cleaned the crud and polished the channel and pin with sand paper and dremel bringing it to a mirror finish.Orginally I had planned to replace the dust cover as WD40 had slightly swollen it. but the parts u got were wrong. I only replaced the dust cover for the piston as I had damaged that by mistake.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2016 at 9:04 AM, lapyiwin said:

I am having trouble sourcing the front and back brake caliper slider Pin/ bolt with rubber dust cover and anti rattle clips for my IS220D 2007. Eurocarpart, Ebay, Halford they all don't do it. Any advice on where I can get one will be grateful.

Front Pin slider

20151230_133737.jpg?raw=1

Rear Pin Slider
20151230_140437.jpg?raw=1

http://afcparts.co.uk/home.php

I got mine from them for the whole car, front and rear.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how to find the clunk on front of IS220D when weather is hot. It is most audible when car is about to stop. Not that loud like in the video below but it is something like that. I had Sway/anti-roll bar bushes and drop links replaced last year. So I don't think it is that.

This forum has a lot of experience owners and car experts. Last time, I managed to get the part which I thought it is impossible to get hold of.  Two  mechanic I have seen can't even find the source of the noise. He just said turn up the radio. Not very helpful.

Shock mounts?  Very hard to diagnose.

If the a/r bushes and links have been replaced, have they been torqued correctly with weight of the car on the suspension? I once did a Renault and forgot to do this, it was very noisy and I was a little embarrassed!

Thanks Jules PF. I don't know how to check if the shock mounts are bad or not. For the a/r bushes and linkage, the mechanic put the car on lift and tightened it. Not when the car is sitting on four wheels.  

The issues is it gets very loud and felt like something at the front suspension is very loose (I can even feel that in the brake padel) when weather is hot.   Now weather is getting cold again, the noise is barely noticeable.  I don't know what could possibly cause noise to get louder when the weather is hot.

Have you tried what I suggested earlier? To me, the way you describe sounds just like a caliper pin or brake pad anti rattle clip is loose. Try putting your foot very slightly on the brake pedal when its noisy. My car sounded like the video you posted, if was just one anti rattle clip on the offside pad. The noise was reverberating on other components and sounded like the entire front end was loose. Only when hot would suggest, obviously, friction heat. The only part subject so affected would be the brakes.

If you have recently had work done start looking there first. Did you do the caliper pin job?

HI Jules, Looking back your previous post, are you asking whether I have straightened up the anti rattle clip on the brake? 

Sorry for lack of knowledge, could you show me what front anti rattle clip look like? in the past I tried to look for it on eBay but no one sell it for IS220D

No, I haven't had chance to replace the slider pin yet. I bought it but hasn't got time to take it to mechanic and get it replaced yet. 

I agree with your theory, it could be just rattle clip or brake slider pin. When weather gets hot, I feel like the entire end was loose.  I am planning to take the front wheels off and check today but I don't think I will be able to re-create the issue when the car is cold and on jack stand.

• 2 months later...

I am reaching at the end of your tether. The front brake slider pin had been replaced. The problem with knocking noise is still there when the car makefoward/backward motions in 1st gear. Been to a few garages. They don't have the patient to wait car is warmed up and check properly. All they did was 1 mins drive quickly concluded no noise was detected. They always ask to leave the car. By the time they check it, all parts are cooled down and noise is temporarily gone. 

As the weather gets hot in UK, the noise has become a major nightmare. It feels like some kind of loose joint or part in the front suspension. 

Could a mechanic in London (specifically in Sunbury/Surrey) area check my car? Of course I will pay. If you guys know a place, will you give me a shout..