Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can’T Diagnose Knocking Sound From Front Offside

Step_George

I had the same problem a knocking sound ( like a clang ) only when cold  in first or reverse gear when first setting off but because of the vibration of the noise we could not pin it down after numerous visits and many many parts being replaced lexus could not find the fault after several months of going back and fourth no joy even the visit of the so called lexus expert could not replicate the noise I even had the lexus mechanics on a few occasions  come to my work place put the  bonnet up an sit on the engine while I drove the vehicle slowly they hear the clang say ok take it away then a few days later drop it off saying fixed only to hear the noise the following morning so fed up spoke to a mechanic friend and he said straight away top mount I phoned lexus to book it in and change it hey presto no noise now a happy driver lol

• Like 2

Lillywhites. Thanks for replying. You said it all. 

I don't want to shell out a lot of money to replace all parts and only to find out problem is still there.

I wish I had a mechanic friend like yours. Did it make noise when you go over bump. Mine doesn't. It only happens when weather/car is hot and setting off in first.

Mine never made a noise going over a bump , as for the weather never noticed all I can say it always happened first thing in the morning  or if i have gone somewhere and left the car to sit for a while. I would start the car set off either forward or reverse and as I turned the steering wheel clang which vibrated everywhere which ended up with many parts being replaced to the cost of lexus and after everything it was a faulty drivers side top strut mount like you I was at the end of my tether so much I was in talks with lexus uk with the not fit for purpose and poss sending the car back hope you get it sorted soon.   Regards Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Lillywhites. I presumed you had it fixed while it is in Lexus warranty? I love the car but that noise is killing me. When I contacted Lexus UK, they said they will charge something like £95+VAT or something like that. 

2 minutes ago, lapyiwin said:

Thanks Lillywhites. I presumed you had it fixed while it is in Lexus warranty? I love the car but that noise is killing me. When I contacted Lexus UK, they said they will charge something like £95+VAT or something like that. 

To investigate, I assume?

14 minutes ago, PCM said:

To investigate, I assume?

Yes, that's for diagnosis charge. They can't guarantee they will find the fault after paying £95+vat either. Fixing is another story. As you know dealer charge arm and legs, I'd rather get it fixed at local/independent/3rd parties  garage.

1 minute ago, lapyiwin said:

Yes, that's for diagnosis charge. They can't guarantee they will find the fault after paying £95+vat either. Fixing is another story. As you know dealer charge arm and legs, I'd rather get it fixed at local/independent/3rd parties  garage.

JAPEX in Kings Langley, Herts?

7 minutes ago, PCM said:

JAPEX in Kings Langley, Herts?

Thank you PCM. They are about 45 mins (32 miles) away from my house. But hey.. if they are good with Lexus, I will go there. I am quite desperate to get it fixed.  Already sent online inquiry form.

When I spoke to my main dealer, the investigation cost was £86 inc VAT.

The other thing is that if they do find a fault that the warranty company agree to fund, they will also pay the investigation charge.

What I have done previously is call the warranty company and confirm with them that, if it the fault I think it is, they will cover it.

In this case though, it might be better to go to a good independent.  

• 3 weeks later...

HI Everyone.

Problem has been resolved. Thankfully, the sun was out when I took the car to mechanic. He can hear the knock and problem was immediately reproducible. First he thought it was top mount. Then disassembled everything and found one of the shock absorber was busted and showed sign of leak. He called me up next day saying anti roll bar links were not good either. To analyze the whole situation, when shock was not holding car properly especially when weather is warm, it kind of put more pressure the anti roll bar linkages which in turn make them loose, create play and knocking sound. After spending £600 on parts and labours, car is finally sorted. Thanks PCM for recommending Jepex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Great and happy to 'help'.

So glad it's sorted - bet it sounds great now!

Piers.

:yahoo:

Well done that man, always good when a recommendation works out.

• Like 1